Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    15 years and counting
    Any success story during Christmas?
    The holiday craze is almost over. Are you happy with your sales?
    Well, I can't believe I survived 12 shopping seasons as an affiliate.
    This one is not the best one but not the worse.
    At least I was able to stop the decline for the first time in 5 years.
    I did great with the networks but some of my Indies are still my favorites.
    I had 10 days of daily sales over $15K for one of my merchants, and over $10K for others. 30 days of heavy sales before Christmas and I managed to have a few interesting sales on the 25th. I'm still expecting a few big sales before new year eve. (I've the right products to party in style)
    My biggest one shot sale for the season was over $6K.
    What about you?

My December was great, but November blew it away during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. I must have caught the early shoppers because after that it never peaked as much. These were the best couple months in my 3 years doing affiliate sales, so I'm very happy for that. For the entire year I saw a 100% increase in commissions over 2005, so I hope I can continue that trend in 2007.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    The holiday craze is almost over. Are you happy with your sales?
    Well, I can't believe I survived 12 shopping seasons as an affiliate.
    This one is not the best one but not the worse.
    At least I was able to stop the decline for the first time in 5 years.
    I did great with the networks but some of my Indies are still my favorites.
    I had 10 days of daily sales over $15K for one of my merchants, and over $10K for others. 30 days of heavy sales before Christmas and I managed to have a few interesting sales on the 25th. I'm still expecting a few big sales before new year eve. (I've the right products to party in style)
    My biggest one shot sale for the season was over $6K.
    What about you?
    I thought mine were pretty good until I saw yours .
    Last edited by rematt; December 28th, 2006 at 03:11 PM.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I thiught mine were pretty good until I saw yours .
    Just wait for some affiliates to post their success stories, I'm not one of the top guys.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    For the entire year I saw a 100% increase in commissions over 2005, so I hope I can continue that trend in 2007.
    - Scott
    That's pretty good.
    I'm stuck. It seems there's a barrier I can't cross. I can't find a way for a 100% increase in commissions. (without PPC)
    Maybe I should rethink my business model but I'm too scared to go back to the drawing board.

It wasn't my best but like Zeus, not my worst either - though I know I haven't reached the levels he's describing.

It always tickles me that I make money on Christmas Day - I imagine it's people buying for themselves what they didn't get given, or maybe spending their gift-money.

No really outstanding sales, but I did get one of over $2000 yesterday for shoes, past experience shows that at least part of it will stick, fingers crossed for it all.

That's pretty good.
    I'm stuck. It seems there's a barrier I can't cross. I can't find a way for a 100% increase in commissions. (without PPC)
    Maybe I should rethink my business model but I'm too scared to go back to the drawing board.
    You might just need to go back to the drawing board. The web is all about social software now and unless you jump on the bandwagon you'll be branded Web 1.0 and get lost in the dust. Things move fast online, so it's very important to keep up with new technology.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    "The web is all about social software now and unless you jump on the bandwagon you'll be branded Web 1.0 and get lost in the dust."

Let's not get drastic. Web 1.0 stuff still works and will continue too. Not everybody likes to do things online "socially", most don't I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "The web is all about social software now and unless you jump on the bandwagon you'll be branded Web 1.0 and get lost in the dust."

Let's not get drastic. Web 1.0 stuff still works and will continue too. Not everybody likes to do things online "socially", most don't I would guess.
    Yep, web 1.0 still works very well and better than web 2.0 in many cases. But it's much more difficult to see exponential growth in an older style website. Those who utilize newer technology tend to see quicker word of mouth growth. But it's not always about the technology, the quality of the content you deliver can also make a huge difference.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    You can also have both working together. Utilizing Web 2.0 stuff to get the word out about your Web 1.0 stuff I've had my Web 1.0 (forever) site talked about, bookmarked, tagged etc. from different Web 2.0 properties out there. Now that is something to look into. I think you talked about this before. Something like this anybody can add to their site:

http://ekstreme.com/socializer/

15 years and counting
    You might just need to go back to the drawing board. The web is all about social software now and unless you jump on the bandwagon you'll be branded Web 1.0 and get lost in the dust. Things move fast online, so it's very important to keep up with new technology.
    - Scott
    That's true and I try to keep up. I'm also quite conservative and I don't want to kill my money makers. So I keep what's working while experimenting with Web 2.0
    I must say I like blogs but after more than one year, I got the traffic but I'm still waiting for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    You can also have both working together. Utilizing Web 2.0 stuff to get the word out about your Web 1.0 stuff I've had my Web 1.0 (forever) site talked about, bookmarked, tagged etc. from different Web 2.0 properties out there. Now that is something to look into. I think you talked about this before. Something like this anybody can add to their site:

http://ekstreme.com/socializer/
    That's a pretty neat tool. You've got the right idea. Some of these sites can be great traffic sources. I've found StumbleUpon and del.icio.us to have some great traffic opportunities. Although it helps to have a Web 2.0 site to get better placement in these engines.

- Scott

Back to the topic of holiday success, I had a great experience with a press release I sent out earlier in the month. I sent it to a handful of key bloggers and got a write-up on a major blog with a couple hundred thousand subscribers. This resulted in various other write-ups on other blogs and even a video blog blurb about my site. I managed to accumulate quite a handful of great links from the blogosphere, and I even had a VC offer from a major firm. I got multiple advertising opportunities with one merchant offering at least $1k/mo regardless of how many sales I get. Traffic reached an all time high during the press storm and my user registrations are up almost 100% from last month. I made it to the front page of del.icio.us and StumbleUpon is sending a ton of traffic now. Let's just hope my next PR goes this well!!

- Scott

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm still here, ain't I?

15 years and counting
    Back to the topic of holiday success, I had a great experience with a press release I sent out earlier in the month. I sent it to a handful of key bloggers and got a write-up on a major blog with a couple hundred thousand subscribers. This resulted in various other write-ups on other blogs and even a video blog blurb about my site. I managed to accumulate quite a handful of great links from the blogosphere, and I even had a VC offer from a major firm. I got multiple advertising opportunities with one merchant offering at least $1k/mo regardless of how many sales I get. Traffic reached an all time high during the press storm and my user registrations are up almost 100% from last month. I made it to the front page of del.icio.us and StumbleUpon is sending a ton of traffic now. Let's just hope my next PR goes this well!!
    - Scott
    Hope you have the right server, I had several write ups in the http://www.washingtonpost.com/ in the holiday section and other newspapers and I know the kind of traffic you can get. To reach the front page of del.icio.us can be a killer.

Hope you have the right server, I had several write ups in the http://www.washingtonpost.com/ in the holiday section and other newspapers and I know the kind of traffic you can get. To reach the front page of del.icio.us can be a killer.
    Server held out quite well. I added an extra gb of memory beforehand just to be on the safe side. You know the front page of del.icio.us wasn't as big as you'd think it only lasted for a short period of time.

- Scott

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    My October set a new record for monthly total profit. Then November topped that by a bunch! December's still going, but I doubt it'll beat Nov - likely will be a tad below October too, sales have been expectedly slow since the evening of the 23rd for me. Picking back up this week, but had the slow days during the holiday that I expected.

It's been a record quarter for me, as well as a record year. And 2007 is looking good.

Look forward to partying it up out at Missy and Shawn's shindig in Vegas in late January. It's a good time of the year for me to celebrate, looking back on the past year, and hanging out with the sort of people that attend Aff Summit.

Really planning to enjoy myself at Missy and Shawn's awards ceremony - so many ABW'ers nominated, I could just scream! I love it!!!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    so many ABW'ers nominated, I could just scream! I love it!!!
    I wore my Vote for Haiko shirt yesterday No one saw it except the folks at the grocery store... lol... but I wore it!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    and I even had a VC offer from a major firm.
    - Scott
    are you going to go MIA cos somebody is going to buy your URL/domain?
    let me know if you need some help. I have some contacts that you might benefit from

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    are you going to go MIA cos somebody is going to buy your URL/domain?
    let me know if you need some help. I have some contacts that you might benefit from
    Nope, we're not for sale or open to VC. I like controlling 100% of the profits

- Scott

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This year wasn't recordbreaking for me, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that a section I'd been ignoring for months suddenly sprang to life and started generating sales. And another site of mine woke up, too.

Nope, we're not for sale or open to VC. I like controlling 100% of the profits

- Scott
    I wondered if you'd take that offer when I saw your earlier post in this thread...it always seems to me that VC money means you end up w*rking at your own company (as an empl*yee), answering to the VC and/or a board...and therefore quite undesireable! But I thought you might take it anyway since you seem to get starry-eyed every time one of these newer sites finds megafinancing...

As for outright SALE, on the other hand...all my sites are always for sale if the price is right. One of my objectives is to retire rich, and it'd be nice to do so by 40.

You know the front page of del.icio.us wasn't as big as you'd think it only lasted for a short period of time.
    No shock at all...something like that will only send traffic as long as you're showing there; when you drop off the front page, their viewers will just click whatever's on it next time they go to del.icio.us. Same pattern as the old "topsites" pages used to have. Did you manage to get decent conversions out of it, or is the traffic as junky and totally worthless as topsite traffic was (assuming you were trying to sell stuff rather than showing other kinds of ads)?

Back to the topic of holiday success, I had a great experience with a press release I sent out earlier in the month. I sent it to a handful of key bloggers and got a write-up on a major blog with a couple hundred thousand subscribers.
    (Snip)
    I've started doing press releases with one of my sites, but have yet to see such grand results... But I have picked up some links which is pretty much what I'm after.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Did you manage to get decent conversions out of it, or is the traffic as junky and totally worthless as topsite traffic was (assuming you were trying to sell stuff rather than showing other kinds of ads)?
    Really hard to say since sales were strong all around. I somewhat doubt that traffic converted, but it's still great to rank well in del.icio.us for PageRank and traffic.

I've started doing press releases with one of my sites, but have yet to see such grand results... But I have picked up some links which is pretty much what I'm after.
    You just need something that's newsworthy. I spent the past 10 months developing this product and had been focusing on the wow factor the entire time. For a press release to be effective it's really got to be impressive.

- Scott

On the merchant side of things. We launched our affiliate program in mid November and had 35K in sales from the channel. Much thanks to all the info I learned from this site and all you who contribute.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I wondered if you'd take that offer when I saw your earlier post in this thread...it always seems to me that VC money means you end up w*rking at your own company (as an empl*yee), answering to the VC and/or a board...and therefore quite undesireable!
    There is always somebody to answer to when it comes to VC but I have seen a VC which was founded and controlled by the CEO of the e-tailer. So the CEO has control over the company and also the board in the VC.

It all depends on what you want to do and were you want to take your company. For eg. if you are selling tires (as in tires for cars), you are doing well from reselling it to the middleman. But if you want to go in like gangbusters and get contracts directly from mfg, VC is the only way unless your dad is Bill Gates or G.W. Bush.

ABW Ambassador
    Congratulations everyone... For me It was my best month yet & still a few days to go but I haven't reached my projected goal but close. Overall I'm very happy with December and getting a top listing for "Grocery Coupons" at this time Helped although that's dropped back a page now. Lot's of gourmet sales ..
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast