ABW Ambassador
    Does "clueless" have a new poster child?
    http://www.overnite.com/aboutus/gene...gagreement.asp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buckworks.com:
    Does "clueless" have a new poster child?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO! This isn't a merchant I hope. License to link to them? The customers should be charging them for the advertising and they should be happy to get it!

{

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Hey Elisabeth - it just occurred to me that you might be violating their guidelines by posting that link here. The agreement says "no deep linking".

{

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    One of the companies covered by the "agreement" is Union Pacific Railroad, a company that <s>is still in</s> started in the 1800s or so.

Figures...

Holy cow!!!

My mother warned me about people like this!!! :eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>which OTC may promulgate and communicate with you...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Court ruled however that linking, in and of itself, is not a copyright infringement since there is no actual copying involved. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LINKING AND CRAWLING ISSUES

At first I agreed with all of you.

Then I realized that as a shipping company they probably don't need website traffic in the way we've all come to know it. Their website is an outreach to their existing clients not so much an effort to get more business.

Now imagine their website were to get tons of traffic (which they don't need) and suddenly their staff is working full time answering bogus emails etc.

Also they have shipping/transit calculators etc and people will hot link to them stealing bandwidth.

The deep linking issue is valid too because they may provide access to certain areas when you sign in and these areas may not be otherwise accessable from the web (so they think) and they might be afraid that litterly anyone could view files they don't wan't public.

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

Some of the umm "agreement" is fair enough because it's to do with protection of copyright works (graphics) and trademarks, but they have effectively banned themselves from any web directory or search engine.. are they going to sue the Googlebot? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think as the legal system begins to dig in and look at linking on the Internet, privacy issues, spam, etc., more and more companies are going to put up disclaimers prohibiting others from linking to them.

That way, if there's ever an issue in any way, they can say they prohibited it. As Heyder pointed out, they might just have the site as a convenience for their established customers, and they may not want to provide support for a busy site.

I hope they have their robots.txt file online disallowing all of the search bots!

Andy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread