Is there a searchable merchant directory?
    Is there a categorised directory of merchants across all the major aff. networks?

For example, if I want to advertise TVs, is there a directory where I can search for "televisions" or even a specific model?

If not, sounds like a nice project for '07
    [URL=http://www.freshgadgets.co.uk]Fresh gadgets[/URL]

Smile I can help
    I can help to some extent. Please email me at jollygoodpirate at gmail.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Not really.

One good technique is to check at GoldenCAN. They don't include all merchants, but it's probably more comprehensive than any affiliate directory out there.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Or just join LS, CJ and SAS for a list of merchants.
    I know LS needs to clean up on the search function though

You seem to be asking two overlapping questions: where can you find a searchable list of merchants by product type, and is it possible to find a searchable list of all available products available from merchants across various affiliate networks?

There are dozens of "affiliate directories" out there, most of which allow for searching by keyword, but they generally don't list all product categories for each merchant (for example, if you searched any affiliate directory for "television" you'd probably never see a listing for Amazon or Target or Wal-Mart, though each offers affiliate commissions on online purchases of televisions). There are a zillion lists of affiliate directories (we've posted one at our site at http://www.quoteproducts.com/affiliate-links.php). Note that many of these directories are not updated regularly, and even the best excludes many great merchants.

To find specific products, your best bet would probably be to use a service like GoldenCAN.com or DataFeedFile.com -- they bring together products from many dozens (perhaps hundreds) of merchant datafeeds. However, they are not "all-inclusive" (neither one includes products from my client, QuoteProducts.com, even though we provide a datafeed through ShareASale.com).

But this is the "holy grail" of affiliate marketing: the idea situation is that I'd simply have some generic link embedded whenever I mention a product on my site, and my affiliate solution would insert one or more matching merchant offers alongside the content. I've never seen that work across more than a handful of merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    [...] "all-inclusive" (neither one includes products from my client, QuoteProducts.com, even though we provide a datafeed through ShareASale.com).

But this is the "holy grail" of affiliate marketing: the idea situation is that I'd simply have some generic link embedded whenever I mention a product on my site, and my affiliate solution would insert one or more matching merchant offers alongside the content. I've never seen that work across more than a handful of merchants.
    Of course you would want this service to know which merchants with which you are affiliated. And if I may use your datafeed as an example, would you want every keyword on your pages that is contained in your Quote Products linked to one of your posters etc. How do you decide when a keyword is "worth linking" to a product?

I am willing to develop something like that if I can get the problem specifically defined in a way that is doable. What would you like to see being developed? And If we can't reach the Holly Grail, what would you settle for?

Thanks to all for the informative and thoughtful replies

Eric, you can just use the search function on the major affiliate networks, but it can certainly be difficult to track down merchants for individual products. For example, if you're looking for merchants selling "fishing rods", you'd have to search for merchants that sell "tackle" and then further narrow them down manually.

Micheal, Goldencan seem a step in the right direction, but are more geared to getting their product (i.e. the datafeed system) on your site than a way of finding merchants that sell the product you're looking to sell - not that that's a problem for the end user/affiliate. And although they do have a comparitively extensive selection of merchants, it'd be nice to be able to search the little guys too.

Mark, yes, I am indeed asking two seperate questions, but what I meant was to be able to search for generic product type eg. televisions or individual product, eg. Panasonic TH42PX60.

In your second paragraph you've basically outlined the affiliate directory problem. There are many partial ones, and even the best are missing out on some of the great merchants.

The fact that Amazon, Target or Wal-mart don't appear when searching "televisions" is a problem, and if they offer decent commissions, good products and a good AM, then it's a problem that I'd like to solve.

Your last paragraph is a bit beyond what I first had in mind, but you're right - it would indeed be great if you could, after identifying the merchants (even if automatically and based on page content), have their links automatically implemented (and updated) on your site. Like a cross between Google Adsense & Goldencan, but that's getting a bit of topic...
    [URL=http://www.freshgadgets.co.uk]Fresh gadgets[/URL]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread