New monitor time
    So what do I get?

I've always stayed behind the cutting edge (less likely to get injured that way).

Currently have a 17" TFT, do I go for 19" or 20" widescreen? Or is even bigger worth the cost - it seems that beyond these sizes, there's a premium that's disproportionate. I use my monitor screen for computer-type things, not viewing movies. I often have lots of windows open and graphics are important - suggestions?

As big as you can afford! Screen Real Estate is always helpful. Another option is getting two 17" (or even 20") and putting 'em side by side (they can be set to work in tandem -- email on right screen; browser on left; etc.).

Happy Shopping!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    depending on your budget, and your video card.

personally, i would run dual 19" Samsung DVI LCD.
    then again, will your video card support it.
    in this case, your video card is as important as the monitor.

At times, you can get a good Samsung 19" LCD for US$200 each after rebate

I wouldn't go any bigger into the premium-priced monitors. If anything, I would do dual (or even quad) monitors like Eric and others said. The bigger monitors are usually just bigger, not higher resolution. You won't be able to fit more windows on them. You'll just be able to see them better.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    I bought a Samsung Syncmaster 20" LCD that I like very much. It is big enough without being wasteful, resolution is great and I got it at Sam's for about $250...don't remember exactly. I looked at the 24" and that size range but they are too much money and as Michael said, bigger isn't always the best way to go.
    In my RV I don't have room for dual monitors, but when I get into my house I will probably go in that direction.

ABW Ambassador
    I think I need to get a new one myself. I have an NEC MultiSync 75 17" CRT that I've had for many years. While visiting family, my parents and brother have LCDs. And things are just brighter. My monitor looks a little dark. Don't know if it's the settings or it's just time to get a new one. As far as room I think a 17" should do.

One thing I've never liked about the LCDs is when you look from it at different angles, the picture is different. I like a great picture no matter the angle and CRTs seem to be better for that. Are there some LCDs that are better as far as that goes? Brand wise, I noticed a couple in this thread having Samsungs. Are there any brands that are just better or ones you should stay away from?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    I use my monitor screen for computer-type things, not viewing movies. I often have lots of windows open and graphics are important - suggestions?
    My guess is that you'll love a dual screen setup for the stuff that you do. It's one of those things (like high speed net access) that you just can't give up once you've been hooked.

I have two 15" LCD's at 1024x768 for my laptop setup and two 21" CRT's at 1600x1200 for my desktop setup. I wouldn't want a widescreen monitor because I like to work with my screens maximized, and the 4:3 aspect ratio is perfect for what I do.

Internet Cowboy
    Trust,
    I know what you mean. I have had 4 LCD monitors and the Samsung is the brightest of them all. I've never been a Samsung fan, but I can surely say this monitor is bright. I had a Dell before this one that came with my computer and it sucked. It only lasted a little over a year before the on/off button quit working and I never noticed how dark it was until I got the Samsung.

My wife shops Goodwill and been seeing some monitors. On a visit to town together I grabbed a nice 17' Dell CRT for $3.99. I love a bargain and it helps somebody. Just stay out of my store.
    Granted it's for a Linux computer that's not essential.

So what do I get?
    Get one of these:
    Attached Images Attached Images

http and a telephoto
    I want one!!!!!

I have a Dell flat panel huge monitor that belonged to my son. It is great because there is actually double width of a "normal" monitor so you really can put more windows on it and see things bigger. It is great for working with graphics. I am leaning towards dual monitors and a digging out a monitor for the laptop that is my "second" computer because the 16" screen is too small... now that I am spoiled...

The flat panel I left behind for my daughter was a 19" and that was wonderful also...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I use dual 24" LCD monitors. I am a real estate hog and had I been able to afford 30" screens I would have bought those (2007 I will end up buying them). They aren't just bigger but support a higher resolution of 1920 x 1200.

We do have one Apple 30" in the office and I love it, but I am not the one that uses it.

For one other setup in my office we bought dual 22" Monitors. Paid $199 for each of the new 22" monitors. Resolution on one 22" is 1680 x 1050.

Though we have several dual 19" setups and they work just fine. However I have found some folks can't handle the dual setup at all. Their mind doesn't seem to work that way (aka my wife can't stand it, she likes "layers" of windows)

Summarize:

19" LCD = 1280 x 1024
    20" - 22" LCD = 1680 x 1050
    24" LCD = 1920 x 1200 (basically two pages side-by-side)(recommended high end dual-link DVI graphics card)
    30" LCD = 2560 x 1600 (requires high end graphics cards, aka dual-link DVI)

I do not recommend 19" Widescreens (1440 x 900). The loss of the height is just NOT worth it. You find yourself scrolling endlessly, especially in designing. Definitely want more than 1024 in height.

If you are a person that can't handle the dual screen setup, then a single 24" LCD works well. They can be bought for around $640 (newegg, Acer) now.

I like the 22" LCDs as well and the extra size does make a difference (yea, I know, size matters). They can be found pretty reasonably priced.

All IMHO.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I have an NEC MultiSync 75 17" CRT that I've had for many years.
    I used to have a NEC CRT and that was an awesome monitor. I sold it though. I have had a lot of monitors and I would rate this better than the dells. Those CRT are better than Viewsonic CRT. Unfortunately, I sold it for $100. Bought it for like $120 and could't resist an LCD.

Have been using a 17" LCD since 2000 and once you go LCD, you can't go back. Space saver and more viewable area.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The 20" is pretty darned nice. I'm even thinking about hooking up my 60" widescreen - that way I won't need reading glasses to see what I'm reading!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    If you can, do what others have suggested and go dual screen.

I will never, ever go back to a single screen no matter how large it is. I L-O-V-E my duals and I am considering adding in a third.

When updating sites, duals are the bomb. I have email open in one screen and html in the other and just copy from one and paste to the other, etc. No more min & max.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Thought I'd come back and report what I got.

I went for a Samsung 19" lcd and have finally got around to using a Mitsubishi 17" crt as a second monitor. The 19" is about as big as I'll need for a long time I reckon, running at 1280 x 1024, but the dual screen is a real revelation.

Thanks to all those who recommended it - it sounded like a gimmick to start with, but I'm a convert. In fact my son is also a convert and he rescued an old 15" crt from the garage which is now his second screen so he can keep it open on msn messenger while he does whatever else on his main screen. I feel like I've a solution to problems I never knew I had!

Only thing is... I'd now like dual 19" Samsungs so that they look better on my desk!

If you want a cleaner set up google dual monitor stands. Most of the LCDs nowadays have a standard mounting bracket on the back.

Ala! http://www.etech4sale.com/Ergotron_3...id-126842.html
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Internet Cowboy
    When you use dual monitors do you switch back and forth or do they actually act as two halves of the screen?

Scoot,

Out of the box the act almost as two different computers. Two independent windows. The maximize but maximizes to the max of the current monitor the window is on. Mouse moves off the left hand side of right monitor and right onto the right hand side of the left monitor. Seamless. You can also move things back and forth, and you resize windows left/right to end up on the other monitor.

Now the dual monitor video cards (which you usually do not need) come with their own little tools to do things like mirroring and adding an extra maximize button (or the SuperSize button) that makes a window maximize between both monitors. This same effect can be achieve be stretching a window across both monitors.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread