View Poll Results: How do you update the copyright date?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) I've got a dynamic programming statement (in php, asp, etc) and it happens automatically throughout my site, via include or otherwise.

8 20.51%
  • 2) One change to an include file and presto, I'm all done.

24 61.54%
  • 3) I do it all by hand, I like pain.

3 7.69%
  • 4) I manually edit it everywhere, takes me a while even with search and replace.

4 10.26%
  • 5) What's an include?

1 2.56%
  • 6) What's a copyright statement and why do webmasters update them each year?

2 5.13%
  • 7) Where am I?

3 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Server Side Includes to Update your Copyrights for New Years?
    To serve as a late reminder, thought I'd poll people and see how much work they have to do to update the copyright statements throughout their websites.

This is part of the reason I've been converting my static html/shtml sites over to php!
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

http and a telephoto
    I have regular ol' html sites and use includes. Some of my sites need a template change and a rebuild, but it is an automated process, not a painful one page at a time thing
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Believe it or not - I just read about "includes" on ABW during this past week.

Now that I have more sites I need to start using includes or PHP.

Thanks for the reminder!

I use the following snippet, comes out as: 'Copyright c 1999 - 2006 MyWebsite.com. All rights reserved' (c will be the copyright sign). It obviously updates based on the server date, so it will automatically change every year without me having to do anything.

<!-- START OF COPYRIGHT SCRIPT -->
    Copyright &copy; 1999 -
    <script>
    var mydate=new Date()
    var year=mydate.getYear()
    if (year < 1000)
    year+=1900
    var day=mydate.getDay()
    var month=mydate.getMonth()
    var daym=mydate.getDate()
    if (daym<10)
    daym="0"+daym
    document.write(""+year+"")
    </script>
    MyWebsite.com. All rights reserved.
    <!-- END OF COPYRIGHT SCRIPT -->

Cheers, Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Nice frank!
    I use an include file.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I have regular ol' html sites and use includes. Some of my sites need a template change and a rebuild, but it is an automated process, not a painful one page at a time thing
    Same, except I have some PHP sites, too. Just a change to the footer for those.

But, I still have to remember to bother. It seems that I always have some of my sites with old dates on them. Last month I found one that was still saying (c) 2005. So I changed it to 2007 right then and there...which was a good move, considering I didn't think about it again until this thread!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I use php to generate it and an include to publish it where it needs to be (poll choice #1). So I do nothing at the turn of each year, it's automatic.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I use php to generate it and an include to publish it where it needs to be (poll choice #1). So I do nothing at the turn of each year, it's automatic.
    Thats cause you are brilliant and started doing this long after some of us old foggies... lol....
    Deborah Carney

Newer sites it's automatic.
    Older sites it's a simple include change.
    Oldest sites its a find & replace.
    Original site you are more than welcome to take the content
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    Newer sites it's automatic.
    Older sites it's a simple include change.
    Oldest sites its a find & replace.
    Original site you are more than welcome to take the content
    LOL, yup!!!!

My original site... no one here wants the content It's all cats
    Deborah Carney

For my sites, I typically have a "site template" that gets wrapped around my static and dynamic HTML pages (almost opposite of an include), so I just need to change one place per site. If I had a lot of sites, I would totally automate it like Donuts, but it only takes maybe a minute to update the copyright date on all my sites each year as it is so I haven't bothered automating it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Unfortunately it took me a while just to teach myself the html....don't know php or whatever the other stuff is....so ummmm one page at a time

I voted for "Where Am I?" because I do NOT update the copyright dates on my site for pages that have not actually been updated.

I'm concerned about the basic assumption here -- that it's appropriate to change the copyright date automatically.

If a page's content is not updated, then I don't think it would be appropriate to change the copyright date. I am constantly annoyed to see "Copyright (c) 1993-2006" on a web page that clearly has not been updated since 1995. This is especially annoying when I do a search that includes a year because I want current content, but the search results are filled with pages with content from many years ago, but which contain "2006" in a footer copyright claim.

I do understand that it is much easier to have your copyright claim included in a standard footer which is included on every page -- and it makes sense for content which is regularly updated, such as a directory. I don't know that any copyright claim is meaningful for sites which simply replicate data from a datafeed. But I voted for "Where Am I?" because I do NOT update the copyright dates on my site for pages that have not actually been updated.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Fantastic!!!

For me, this is the most useful thread I have seen in quite a while. Some time ago I started a thread about trying to do something similar to this with style sheets. Although I have certainly heard of SSI and "include files", I had never made the necessary connection in my mind. After viewing this thread, I did a search on Google and found the following link: SSI: The Include Command

For purplebear and others like me that does not (or did not) know how to use the include command, the link explains it in really simple terms. I tried it out and it works great. What is even more amazing is that the include command worked the first time I tried it. Nothing ever works for me the first time I try something new involving programming.

Now I can start redesigning my pages to make updating them a lot easier.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Unfortunately it took me a while just to teach myself the html....don't know php or whatever the other stuff is....so ummmm one page at a time
    Use your FP shared border to do it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I have been using includes forever, they are an excellent tool for many things beyond just changing copyright dates.

A very common use for includes is for a static header (or footer, or sidebar) to be displayed on every page of your site.

I also use it for some dynamic content, like displaying a random quote in the header of my site each time a page is displayed. So, that is actually an include inside an include.

So much fun...

Quote Originally Posted by LearnAbout
    I use the following snippet, comes out as: 'Copyright c 1999 - 2006 MyWebsite.com. All rights reserved' (c will be the copyright sign). It obviously updates based on the server date, so it will automatically change every year without me having to do anything.
    Actually, that code is Javascript so it's not using your server's date. It uses the date of the client accessing your page. So if a visitor came to your site with an incorrect date, your site will reflect it.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Use your FP shared border to do it.
    BurgerBoy, once you learn to use other methods to do the same thing that you do with FP, you probably are going to be more happy doing it.

Few years ago I used to use the FP shared border and many other of the FP tools until I heard about the dangers of messing up my site if I mess around with the FrontPage server extensions. So I went to learn more about the benefits of using or not using the FrontPage server extensions.

Short story:

Since I no longer use the FrontPage server extensions, I no longer need to have a duplicate copy of every file I ever make, on the [_vti_bin/] folders that the FrontPage server extensions create, so I save a lot of space on the server, also, I can do more experiments with other tools, without worrying about messing up my site because something I use is not compatible with the FP server extensions.

I still use FrontPage, even when I am working on PHP pages, but I will never use any FP server extensions again on any site, because now I know that anything that can be done with the FP server extensions, can also be done with other tools, and without any worry of messing the whole site by accident.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    SSI is super easy to learn and it's probably the most useful thing I have on my sites. If you plan your template well you'll find that you can switch out sidebars, footers, headers, graphics...pretty much anything you like...with a minimum of pain.

For those of you who prefer to live in html world (which is where I spend 99% of my time), if you don't have a global search and replace application then do yourself a huge favor and buy Note Tab Pro. It's terrific, it's cheap and you can download a test copy here http://www.notetab.com.

BurgerBoy and anybody else who wants to comment
    I didn't originally make my site using FP. My site was made just by me with html and then I just copied and pasted it into FP when I moved to a different host. (long story and I'll be kind to all of you and not tell it ) If I didn't originally make it with shared borders using FP, I didn't or hubby said he thought he read in one of the books we have about FP that you can't use the shared borders unless you made the site with them. So????? can I still use it or no????? Needless to say all of you realize I don't know much about FP.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    BurgerBoy, once you learn to use other methods to do the same thing that you do with FP, you probably are going to be more happy doing it.

Few years ago I used to use the FP shared border and many other of the FP tools until I heard about the dangers of messing up my site if I mess around with the FrontPage server extensions. So I went to learn more about the benefits of using or not using the FrontPage server extensions.

Short story:

Since I no longer use the FrontPage server extensions, I no longer need to have a duplicate copy of every file I ever make, on the [_vti_bin/] folders that the FrontPage server extensions create, so I save a lot of space on the server, also, I can do more experiments with other tools, without worrying about messing up my site because something I use is not compatible with the FP server extensions.

I still use FrontPage, even when I am working on PHP pages, but I will never use any FP server extensions again on any site, because now I know that anything that can be done with the FP server extensions, can also be done with other tools, and without any worry of messing the whole site by accident.
    I don't us FP borders any more either.

I use FP includes and php includes.

You can also use an iframe to include stuff on every page if you want stuff on a page that you don't want the SEs to see when they index the page.

I also use FP with php.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    BurgerBoy and anybody else who wants to comment
    I didn't originally make my site using FP. My site was made just by me with html and then I just copied and pasted it into FP when I moved to a different host. (long story and I'll be kind to all of you and not tell it ) If I didn't originally make it with shared borders using FP, I didn't or hubby said he thought he read in one of the books we have about FP that you can't use the shared borders unless you made the site with them. So????? can I still use it or no????? Needless to say all of you realize I don't know much about FP.
    You can add shared borders at any time. My site wasn't originally created with shared borders either and I added a bottom border to display privacy, about and copyright info.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thank you Rematt...I'll have to give it a try.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread