How many of you duplicate your sites with different domain names and how successful are you with this?

I have several domain names that are similiar but I have been designing each of the differently. I have one that is doing particularly well and wondering if I should not change the poor performers to exact copies of the others. Do search engines identify this and would it hurt me in the long run?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do search engines identify this <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes. And if they won't, your competitors will.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and would it hurt me in the long run?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Quite likely.

I should clarify (after reading the competitor comment). These are sites that are not selling any products, just sites that have affiliate links.

Buckworks reply still stands. Duplication of websites on different domains is SPAM.

ABW Ambassador
    If you have affiliate links you ARE selling something.

It's a bad idea.. not only is it spam, but duplication is unlikely to help you sell more products because the sites will be chasing the same search terms

ABW Ambassador
    What about having 1 site and having different domains pointing at it? I have one site that i have a domain framed forwarded to it with no problem.

When I first started, my site was hosted for free at 20m.com (microwavecooking.20m.com). When I moved to my new domain, I put up a bunch of redirects at the old. Then I emailed everybody at my old domain, and asked them to change their links. That didn't work very well.

Not wanting to lose that traffic, now whenever I make a change to my site, I post it at both places. I pay 20m $7 per month just to take down their banners. The search engines don't seem to have minded this. They've picked up that they are the same thing, and pretty much list the new domain. In fact, I think when I type in the old domain at google, it brings me to the new domain.

Anyway, all that aside, when I start a new website I like to go with a totally new design for the fun of creating it. I get so bored looking at the same colors and layout all the time. Variety is the spice of life.

Tracy

If you wanted a fair chance of getting away with it then your sites would have to follow these points:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Different hosts (different IP's)
    <LI>Alter the content, just rewrite paragraphs a little whilst keeping keyword density and position
    <LI>Change colors and other presentational elements to fool the casual observer
    <LI>Be prepared to lose everything[/list]

This is not a very advisable option, better to use the domains to run complimentary content aimed at sub-sets of keyword groups. Be carefull of inter-linking!

Nick

I think having a few domain names pointing to the same site is a very good idea. It will help you if one domain gets banned by the search engines... another domain will get put in the engine the following month. All major companies have a few names pointing to the same server.

Now, if you make sites that are mirror sites of another site, on different IP addresses, with the same content, you are asking for trouble. Likely the new site will get banned, but not the old one. However, you are playing with fire.

Make another site, change the layout/color scheme a bit, and you should be good to go.

After I got my domain name, and registered for the trademark, the shorter version came up, which is what the trademark will be. I registered it too. The longer one is the one that is truly visible. But, if someone types in the shorter one. It goes to the longer one. Does that fit in that category. The shorter one expires in December, haven't decided what to do with it yet though. It is virtually non-existent. :confused:

ABW Ambassador
    Just want to back up what Nick W is saying - don't do it. Whether the search engines have cottoned on to it yet or not is irrelevant, because they will and if not, as Buckworks said, a competitor will.

I play fair in the search engines and have no compunction about reporting sites that don't do the same. It's a competitive business is search engine positioning and if you spam, be prepared for a rude awakening.

I have a similar problem - I have one site with good-ish pagerank but a not-so-good-name and a recently-acquired site with an excellent name but no pagerank. I want to run what is essentially a duplicate of the affiliate store on the old one and put it on the new one.

I guess I need to make the new one as different as possible, even though I'm using the same merchant. Hmmm.

I'd say you're in a great position to experiment Dynamoo. Different copy, colors, linking structure, keyword variations... Instead of looking at it as a dilema, look at it as a golden opportunity [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

(well, that's easy for me to say righ? It's not my income!)

Nick

I've also tried different merchants on new sites. If I can sell it on my first site with Amazon, can I sell it on a new site with a merchant who actually pays 10% with no cap? A golden opportunity indeed!

Search engines have no problem with domains pointing to another domains. Most of them usually only index the domain with content and ignore the symbolic domains (analogy to symbolic links) w/out any penalties.

Mirrored domains are complicated and SEs act differently. If SE has a powerful algo, it will resolve if you are a content/information site or a commercial site. Commercial sites are usually penalized, content/reference material are usually left alone.

Even though there is no authorative answer and I surely don't have one, I feel safe when pointing one domain to another but not when mirroring them.

- BluesX

A special thank you to all of you for your comments and suggestions. Right now I have all my other domains redirected to the one that is doing well, and my stats show that several of them are sending me visitors. I did experiment and created a duplicate site with a different look and some different links. I has done nothing until this month, in which I finally got three sales.

I was leary about duplicate the sites exactly and honestly did not feel it was the right thing to do, but thought I would throw it out to all of you for your comments. I agree with all that you have said.

Thanks again.

ABW Ambassador
    Definately a no, no.

ABW Ambassador
    I can give you a 100% authoritative answer on Google: DO NOT DO IT!

We were listed on the FIRST page for "webhosting" and "web hosting" at google with our hosting company. Then one day we are gone. ZERO. ZIP. NADA. Not a word from google. As you can imagine this was a mighty blow. So we contacted google. They never answered. So we resubmitted... 3 times! Never got in. So we registered another domain, put it on another host, and got in first try. However, we didn't rank anywhere we did originally. Finally after fighting this, I did get a reply from someone at google. They just sent back their list of rules and marked the "multiple submissions" paragraph. That's when I determined what happened. We have a domain parking service. THOUSANDS of domains go to that page. So we had a link popularity of thousands and thousands on that domain. Great for link popularity and that's what got us the number 1 page listing. But, they thought was "multiple submissions" and for that, we've been banned from google. (Or link spamming, whatever you want to call it.)

That is the 100% truth. I have written to them dozens of times, explaining the situation, explaining that this was not our intention, that our domain parking service is a legitimate prodcut, and asking that they let us back in. We did get one reply that said "you can resubmit in 6 months." Which was over 15 months ago and we are still not back in. (At least under that domain.)

If you value your Google listing, don't do it. If you ignore my experience and want to try, then the advice given above is correct. Different IPs or different hosts, change the basic layout and change meta tags and text on the page so it appears different. You are probably safe if you do this for 2,3, 4 times maybe. But more than that, and you risk having ALL those domains banned from google.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread