Looking for a new Vodka
    I know we have some vodka drinkers here so I am asking for your opinions.
    As we gear up for new years, I have to head out to the liquor store to pick up some vodka. Normally I would just get some of the usual, Smirnoff Triple or Stoli but I thought about trying something new.
    I like Grey Goose, but find it's expensive for what it really is.
    I am trying some Canadian vodkas this year, Polar Ice for sure and if I can find it, Iceberg; both of which are supposed to be pretty good.
    But I'm looking for some other options. We now get Effen here so we are trying that as well, but what do you have where you are that we might like (provided we could find it)?

This brings me to another question, how do you drink your vodka?
    Warm, chilled, straight, mixed?

Thanks
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I prefer tequila, yum! I'll take it in a shot with a lime or with some OJ as a Tequila Sunrise. As far as vodka's concerned I enjoy the occasional White Russian.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

http and a telephoto
    Grey Goose may be more expensive, but I never get a hangover and get a *nice* buzz from it. That said, there are some Russian vodkas that I can't pronounce that are nice and smooth.

I like vodka mixed with mountain dew or peach snapple, and also straight up chilled, or sometimes on ice.... lol.... no help at all huh?

And even though it sounds like I drink a LOT, I actually drink very infrequently, so choose wisely what I drink

When bars are out of Grey Goose they substitute Ketel One, which is almost as good
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I like Grey Goose. I also like Vikin Fjord (note that it's Vikin, not Viking) which is a pure potato vodka made in Norway. Unfortunately it's impossible to find in my area although there are sources online and it's not terribly expensive.

I prefer to drink it mixed in a Lemon Drop, which I make with the juice of a fresh lemon, 1 tbsp. sugar, crushed ice and fill to the top of a highball with bottled water. (Or you could add vodka to store-bought lemonade.)

My parents used to drink vodka mixed with diet Fresca. :shudder: DO NOT DO THAT, OKAY?

http and a telephoto
    After I posted I realized I left out a very important thing that Rhea sort of reinforced, always with lemons and NEVER with limes.... I have sent back drinks that were brought to me with limes (WHAT were they thinking???)

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    After I posted I realized I left out a very important thing that Rhea sort of reinforced, always with lemons and NEVER with limes.... I have sent back drinks that were brought to me with limes (WHAT were they thinking???)
    I like Vodka Tonic with lime.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I like Vodka Tonic with lime.

- Scott
    (shudder)

lol, that would be my least favorite drink in the entire universe..... lol
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I prefer tequila, yum! I'll take it in a shot with a lime or with some OJ as a Tequila Sunrise. As far as vodka's concerned I enjoy the occasional White Russian.

- Scott
    Back in my club/rugby days my buddy was emptying a bottle of tequila into a pint glass. It was three quarters of the way full and he dared me to pound it. It blew the boys mind that I did it. They offered me lunch the next day if I could do it again. After the second pint glass (it was the same as the first, not full) , I remember about the next 12 minutes of that night in sequence with the rest of the night only appearing in flashes. I remember walking home with my roommate who was almost as helpless as me. I remember thinking cutting through a mall parking lot would be a shortcut. I remember finding a chain link fence in our way. I don't remember climbing it, but I do remember hanging upside down from it with my leg (the inner thigh of my blue jeans actually) being stuck on the top of the fence and everytime I moved getting closer to the ground and hearing my pants rip a bit more. Hard to hear over my buddy laughing so hard though.
    I remember waking up in the shower fully clothed with the hot water running, but it was cooooold. I remember having to throw out my mattress & bedding the next morning and lastly, I remember eating very little at lunch, even though it was free.

I haven't really touched tequila since.
    (With the exception of Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago when we went on a tequila tour ... WOW what a difference between what we get here and what we had at the plant)

I should add that not only was that the last time I really drank tequila, but I had been drinking beer to that point and I really don't care much for the taste of it anymore either.

Grey Goose may be more expensive, but I never get a hangover and get a *nice* buzz from it. That said, there are some Russian vodkas that I can't pronounce that are nice and smooth.

I like vodka mixed with mountain dew or peach snapple, and also straight up chilled, or sometimes on ice.... lol.... no help at all huh?

And even though it sounds like I drink a LOT, I actually drink very infrequently, so choose wisely what I drink

When bars are out of Grey Goose they substitute Ketel One, which is almost as good
    Yeah that is a nice part of Grey Goose. I have been drinking vodka and Dew Fuel lately. For those that don't get it, Dew Fuel is an energy drink made by pepsi and based on the mountain dew formula. It's not as strong tasting as red bull and actually goes well with vodka. It's a little less sweet as well although I find the best one is the sugar free dew fuel.

I was going to add something to the effect that I don't drink a lot either but I have a hunch that by the end of this thread no one will believe me. I really don't though. Since the puppies came, we rarely drink except for special occassions... Or all inclusive trips... Or Vegas.

Uh oh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I like Grey Goose. I also like Vikin Fjord (note that it's Vikin, not Viking) which is a pure potato vodka made in Norway. Unfortunately it's impossible to find in my area although there are sources online and it's not terribly expensive.

I prefer to drink it mixed in a Lemon Drop, which I make with the juice of a fresh lemon, 1 tbsp. sugar, crushed ice and fill to the top of a highball with bottled water. (Or you could add vodka to store-bought lemonade.)

My parents used to drink vodka mixed with diet Fresca. :shudder: DO NOT DO THAT, OKAY?
    Haven't tried Vikin Fjord ... I'll have to see if they have that here. Thats not the first time I have seen the lemon drop appear on ABW. Think I tried that before but I'll have to make that for madawg and taste it to be sure. She likes iced tea and lemonade type drinks.
    I promise I'll never do that Rhea ... he says as he backs slowly away from the diet fresca can
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

15 years and counting
    For a party or a dinner, it's how I like to serve it with smoked salmon, caviar (I saved some for tomorrow). I like to drink my vodka iced.
    http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...&layout=martha
    My favorite brand is also the Grey Goose (I still remember the launch party with Sidney Frank and his girls) the guy importing Jägermeister and owner of Grey Goose.
    I've always a bottle of Grey Goose at home, some of my other favorites are Ministerscaya and Mad Monk (Russian), Quo Vadis, Zubrowka (Polish)

http and a telephoto
    (off topic - hope pop won't mind )

I got some smoked salmon in a gift basket and have NO idea what to do with it Zeus, what do you suggest?

(back to vodka)
    That bottle looks wild... what a lot of good fruit though!!! And a lot of water eventually.....
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager
    Potato vodka is a personal favorite. I've found that even the cheapest potato vodkas are smoother than the most expensive grain vodkas. Trader Joe's sells a great Monopolova for just $9.99, but even the more expensive Chopin is a good value for the quality.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

15 years and counting
    I like to eat my cold smoked salmon raw with salmon eggs spread on half bagels (or better caviar), butter and iced Grey Goose. The salmon needs to be of high quality.

The boyfriend of one of my daughters is Swedish and he likes to prepare the smoked salmon sauteed in butter and onion, simmered in vodka, then finished with a cream and tomato sauce flavored with fresh nutmeg and flakes of hot pepper. Pretty good.

If you like Japanese food, try your smoked salmon rolled into a maki (which means roll) with vinegared rice and nori, then dipped into shoyu and wasabi. Forget the Sake and replace it by Grey Goose.

http and a telephoto
    Yum to all of the above....

Thanks Zeus!
    Deborah Carney

666 vodka. Nuff said

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyC
    666 vodka. Nuff said
    That's a scary bottle of vodka... where can I get one? lol

(triple 6's are actually lucky for me)
    Deborah Carney

15 years and counting
    That's a scary bottle of vodka... where can I get one? lol
    (triple 6's are actually lucky for me)
    I'll like to sell it for Halloween but I can't find it, either. Seems like it's not imported in the States.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    I highly recommend a vodka by Baczewski called Vodka Monopolowa. It comes in a nondescript bottle with a white label. It is priced about 12-15 dollars a bottle. Has a smooth non burning finish is strong without having an overwhelming smell. Great stuff and unbeatable for the price.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

I drink absolute.This is a good one.When I got nothing better I drink smirnoff but nowdays Smirnoff is faaaar from what it used to be in 60's. LOL i wasnt even born then.BUT I was told so.
    Anyways,GreyGoose ..I second that-it's clean ,high priced stuff but like everywhere else-you get what you pay for.
    By the way i have some russian vodka that was almost smuggled in usa LOL
    Daddy came to visit me and brought some . At the airport they ( i guess) let it go cuz pop is really old guy.And could be charming when he wants LOL
    Happy New Year!!

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I like Absolut. I have found nothing better even close to the price range.

That being said, I usually end up mixing it with so much other stuff, it probably does not matter

For tomorrow night, we are making probably too many of these:

1 part each of:

Amaretto
    Midori
    Vodka
    Southern Comfort
    Blue Curacao
    OJ

It is quite yummy and does the trick for me.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Amaretto
    Midori
    Vodka
    Southern Comfort
    Blue Curacao
    OJ
    Absolut used to be my vodka of choice, until I tried Grey Goose.

I thought *I* was the only person that liked Amaretto, Southern Comfort and Vodka mixed together and ESPECIALLY didn't think it was a "guy" drink. However in November at WebmasterWorld another affiliate manager whipped out a card from his wallet and handed it to bartenders all around town... and it was those three plus something else, and called Red Death, I think.... I will see if I can get him into the thread at some point

Nice to know I am not alone in my triple cocktail And I just make one in a large glass and keep adding ice and it lasts me all night....
    Deborah Carney

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I can also vouch for Chopin. It's pricey, comparable to Grey Goose.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I thought *I* was the only person that liked Amaretto, Southern Comfort and Vodka mixed together and ESPECIALLY didn't think it was a "guy" drink.
    This one ends up being a neon green pretty much. It is certainly not at the top of the "Definitive Guy Drinks" list, but it sure is tasty.

Somehow it got named "Swampass." I cannot think of a better name.

Well, speaking of that, I am off to start drinking them
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Grey Goose
    Sky
    Stole
    Absolut

12 oz glass
    6 oz ice
    2 oz Grey Goose
    Fill with Red Bull
    Stir - don't shake

no hangover and no problem sleeping!! Happy New Year
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I can´t believe you´ve started this thread while I´m travelling.................

Dawg, remind me if you´re coming to the summit and I´ll both bring you a bottle (a modest one not to get stopped by the U.S. of A. customes) of "real stuff", and share with you how real men drink it.

Geno

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread