Internet Cowboy
    A note to those advertising on ABW
    I just clicked a banner at the top of the page to see more and was taken immediately to the merchant's CJ sign-up page. If you are going to spend money advertising to affiliates, land us on a page with details, information and even some sales pitch regarding your affiliate program. If you send a customer from a PPC ad straight to the shopping cart without being able to read about the product or select a color or size, your PPC efforts will fail every time. This is really no different.
    I am not offended by this, I just think it is wasteful not to have a good landing page. I immediately closed the window.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I just clicked a banner at the top of the page to see more and was taken immediately to the merchant's CJ sign-up page. If you are going to spend money advertising to affiliates, land us on a page with details, information and even some sales pitch regarding your affiliate program. If you send a customer from a PPC ad straight to the shopping cart without being able to read about the product or select a color or size, your PPC efforts will fail every time. This is really no different.
    I am not offended by this, I just think it is wasteful not to have a good landing page. I immediately closed the window.
    I agree, but as for me it's not bothering me, coz' just as you said you can close the window if you're not interested. In addition, I believe there was a bug in the link in that window though I've never tried it, but it seems to me it's a bug as no one gets benefit from promoting "blank" pages

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Scoot,

I would not think we were that naive, but you made me check our ads just to be sure...
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I've seen a CJ one like that myself, not sure if it's the same one. But it goes straight to the CJ page.

And a couple of others. One an SAS merchant, that's very active here, but it takes me straight to the SAS sign-up page. And another that I'd never heard of until I clicked the ad, but went straight to a page with a long sign up form (not CJ, SAS, or anything) and that was it. Not interested.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Scoot,

I would not think we were that naive, but you made me check our ads just to be sure...
    Matt, if I may, I will use your affiliate recruiting landing page as an example.
    Your landing page offers:
    1. What you do
    2. How much you pay
    3. How often you pay
    4. The size of the market
    5. How to contact you
    6. Where to access your affiliate terms
    7. ...and some spin!!! Gotta have some spin in there. We expect it, we really do. If I am trying to sell you something you will certainly get some spin from me. It's how things work.
    I have joined several programs as a result of ads on this board and elsewhere. I have also joined a few by clicking an banner that I thought would give me info and it was a link that signed me up for a program I wasn't sure if I wanted into or not.

In all fairness maybe this AM thinks the content of the banner is enough info. Again, I am not slamming anyone here but I think the extra step of a comprehensive landing page would be much more effective.

http and a telephoto
    I'm guilty of my ads going to Shareasale signup page, will spiff those up from the info in this thread this week.

Thanks Scoot!!! And Matt for the great example of what *should* be there....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Excellent point Scooter. The "assumptive close" works with direct sales, but with affiliates, land first on an info page - give the affiliate thorough information and then let them go from there.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

FWIW, I always recommend a recruiting landing page.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Scoot and lox, thanks for the compliments.

I never thought of those specific bullet points, but it definitely does make sense to list those things on your recruiting page.

As the old saying goes, he with the most information wins...and in this case sometimes it is he who provides the most information who wins!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread