My ICDSoft Sites are All Down
    Does anyone have a clue if there is some big outage around the east coast? I have about 20 sites down.

ABW Ambassador

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Does anyone have a clue if there is some big outage around the east coast? I have about 20 sites down.

Possibly your host. I googled them and can not get a response.

I retract that. It did come on line, but a little slow.
    All of my sites are working.......with another host...actually 3 different host..
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I was able to get the ICDSoft.com site and see they are using SAVVIS but they have no status available.

Edit:
    Jan 2 2007 10:14 EST
    Currently, there are connectivity problems within the network of our US upstream provider - SAVVIS, and all servers in our US datacenter cannot be reached.

Please be advised that the SAVVIS data center facility team has reported that the Boston data center is isolated due to a circuit related issue. At this time equipment is not reachable. SAVVIS is working with the local Telco vendor to restore connectivity. An estimated time of resolution is unknown at this time. An update for this incident will be published here within 2 hours;
    Form their support.

The network outage at the SAVVIS datacenter continued for about 6 hours.

Besides ICDSoft, among the affected companies were Lycos Mail / Tripod, the websites of the magazines CIO and CSO - basically everyone whose equipment is in Savvis datacenter in Boston.

It seems that both main and backup communication lines of the datacenter went down in a short period of time. Still there is no official information from Savvis about the cause of the problem, a full report from them is expected in the next few days.

Savvis is one of the largest providers in the US and they have performed very well in the last few years (we have equipment there since 2003). This is the first major issue we experienced with them. Unfortunately, it was quite severe and affected many of our customers.

We apologize to all our customers, whose sites were down during the outage.

During the outage, we did our best to spread all the information we had, through our Hong Kong support site: http://hk.suresupport.com/savvis.php

We will wait for the report from Savvis, so that we consider our options.

We have a technology for moving whole shared-hosting servers between datacenters, with 0% downtime for our users during the move. Unless we receive from Savvis Corp a very convincing plan what will be done to prevent similar issues and clear proofs about the reliability of their infrastructure, we are ready to take the hard decision to move all our equipment elsewhere.

We will check this thread regularly and post further updates, when there is additional information available.

ICDSoft Team
    http://icdsoft.com

ICDSoft Team
    Welcome to ABW. Off the subject in a way is my wish for you to move your affiliate set up to Shareasale. I had no luck at ClickBank with ICDSoft. I'm a big fan of ICDSoft.

Thank you for the appreciation!

More than a year ago we have developed our own Affiliate program, which does not depend on third party services. You can find more information about it at our main site.

ICDSoft Team

According to the report from Savvis, the outage was caused by failures in two of their major backbone lines to Boston. The first line went down on Dec 31, and Savvis did not manage do fix their hardware until Jan 2, when the second line failed. Also, Savvis claim that there was an additional, third failure - of a backbone router. All these caused the isolation of the datacenter.

The management of Savvis abided to connect their Boston datacenter with two more backbone lines - one to be installed immediately, and another within three months. Also, we are revising with them their failover procedures.

One of the reasons we chose this datacenter (it belonged to Cable & Wireless back in 2003 when we started placing servers there), were the advertised datacenter specifications and reliability. When Savvis acquired the US hosting network of CW in 2004, they assured as that the Boston facility will be developed as a high-end colocation and managed-hosting datacenter. We are paying quite high prices on bandwidth/space there, just because we thought that we are buying more reliability.

According to information from Savvis from yesterday, the first line to be installed is already in place. Another third-party provider backup line is available as well.

We will monitor Savvis actions closely by requiring information from them regularly. If they fail to deliver what they promised within the specified timeframe, we are ready to change colocation providers.

If there are any additional follow-ups on the issue, they will be posted on http://suresupport.com/savvis.php as well.

Best regards,
    ICDSoft Team

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread