Successful Affiliate Marketer
    I do ok online but still have a day job.

I would like to know what the successful AM's do dailey so they do not loose focus.

Do they check stats dailey or better use thier time researching ideas?

Do they use check thier dailey stats to tweak sites dailey?

Do they focus on one site or several or just keep thier eggs all in one basket?

Do they check stats once a week and just create create and create?

Thanks for all insight.

You'll probably find successful affiliates that take either side of any of those questions. There are many, many roads to success in affiliate marketing.

I think most of us check at least some of our stats daily.

Some automatically adjust placement on sites based on performance.

Some focus on a single site, while others have hundreds of sites.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It has taken me years to get over obsessively checking stats. Not so long ago I would've spent over 1 hour each day "in the counting house, counting all my money". Now I just trust things are working ok and check the figures once a month - and concentrate on creating revenue rather than counting it

I hear ya I don't want to spend all day counting beans when I can be using that time to generate revenue to buy the bean farm and a bean counter.

Quote Originally Posted by enginez
    It has taken me years to get over obsessively checking stats. Not so long ago I would've spent over 1 hour each day "in the counting house, counting all my money". Now I just trust things are working ok and check the figures once a month - and concentrate on creating revenue rather than counting it

http and a telephoto
    Checking stats has its benefits, but be careful how you spend your time. Sometimes you can be mislead by spikes when you could be creating new spikes and constant streams by reaching beyond what your stats are telling you
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Internet Cowboy
    Or you could get derailed by having to replace the toilet in your motorhome only to remove and throw out the old one after it flooded the bathroom then realize that nobody within 50 miles has another one, so then you will have to drive 50 miles and back, only to get home and realize you need a flexible water cable, so you have to drive 20 miles to get one, then back to finally install the new toilet.......but I digress.

Back on point, diversify in this business. Don't rely on a single network, merchant, market sector, marketing plan or a single anything else. Keep working at your job until you are completely comfortable with the income Affiliate Marketing produces for at least three months in a row, then it is time to consider quitting the j*b and kicking it up a knotch with your new-found time! If you have a cool job or if you are not comfy with leaving it, keep it and do both. Lack of benefits is a big problem for affiliates.

Needless to say, I got zilch done today except a short call with a consulting client before all hell broke loose
    Living in the boondocks is nice, but a pain when you have to keep going to the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper
    ...or just keep thier eggs all in one basket?
    This rut is easy to fall into, but will cause you serious pain sooner or later 100% of the time. You will try LOTS of things that don't work, but that is good. Learn from them and move on. If you just can't figure out why it didn't work, that's OK too. Don't spend weeks obsessing over it. Some will work out and it only takes a dozen or so good merchants to start to build income stability.

http and a telephoto
    ugh... not a fun day Scooter!!!!

But yes, diversify from the beginning.... it will be better in the long run!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Scoot, don't all affiliate marketers spend all day replacing toilets of some kind?

Better to check stats. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanks for all your input. I will be checking all my toilets tommorow. From all this toilet talk there must be a toilet niche somewhere ....

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I think most good affiliates spend their time adding value to their web sites. This can be new content, new links, new inbounds, new merchants, or just better navigation. Watching your stats is only valuable if you're doing PPC and want to track ROI.

Of course golf affiliates just play golf all day...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick - Jrami
    Of course golf affiliates just play golf all day...
    So true, but I carry my Blackberry for the stats...
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

It's good to know that other affiliates are hooked on stats just as much or more than me. I wish Linkshare would update their stats more than once a day, but that's often a saving grace. Commission Junction updates it on the hour, and there I usually am checking my stats "open, open, open".

But I'm at least _trying_ to instead write down one or two new content ideas, and _trying_ to get some actual work done in between each hour. Next goal will be to stretch out the stats checking to only once a day. Wish me luck!

Some LinkShare merchants do update more frequently. Many update hourly. LinkShare supports updates as frequently as every 15 minutes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread