Unhappy Spent 89.00 made 8.00
    comon i been doing this a while and i cant make money withe this adword thing. somebody help!

I have several affiliat links and promote them all. I dont spend a whole lot per click from .01 to .40 maximum. I get clicks tons of them. I have call to action and all why am i not making money?

If you want someone to help, you're going to have to get a lot more detailed than that. Also, try posting in the PPC forum (http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=267) on this site. Good luck and welcome to ABW!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Online Marketing Consultant
    welcome to abestweb. You might want to think what your ads are saying. Check the landing pages you are directing the links to. Check the site for leaks, also check the tracking of your program and make sure it is registering sales etc... Maybe make a purchase yourself from the site to see if it registers.

Like money said, get more specific and we can help you. There are hundreds of reasons you might not be converting.

I've been down that same path earlier this year, and have spent over $600 so far on my first site that didn't really pan out. But at least I had set a budget for myself where - after an initial $50 investment gamble - I agreed to myself not to ever spend more than half of what I had already previously made.

I've turned off adwords for now though because I'm getting more traffic from just participating in forums and blogs than I do from adwords. I'm not talking about spamming, but really trying to help and contribute. And I've made some friends along the way as well.

You might give that a try and save your money for now.

Also, it takes a LOT of time and even MORE patience. Adwords isn't going to land you overnight success, and neither will _any_ approach. Hang in there for the long haul though and you'll start to see what works and what doesn't.

Adwords is excelent if you already know that you have a site that sales and a product that sales.
    If you have that, the only thing you have to do is bid like the competitors but never bid more than you can afford.

what do u mean check the site for leaks? What is a leak rather? and how do i check? because i spent over 1000 in advertising for one site in offline newspaper advertising and i got three people from seven million readers. thats seems weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    If you want someone to help, you're going to have to get a lot more detailed than that. Also, try posting in the PPC forum (http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=267) on this site. Good luck and welcome to ABW!

thank you for the adwords info

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I've been down that same path earlier this year, and have spent over $600 so far on my first site that didn't really pan out. But at least I had set a budget for myself where - after an initial $50 investment gamble - I agreed to myself not to ever spend more than half of what I had already previously made.

I've turned off adwords for now though because I'm getting more traffic from just participating in forums and blogs than I do from adwords. I'm not talking about spamming, but really trying to help and contribute. And I've made some friends along the way as well.

You might give that a try and save your money for now.

Also, it takes a LOT of time and even MORE patience. Adwords isn't going to land you overnight success, and neither will _any_ approach. Hang in there for the long haul though and you'll start to see what works and what doesn't.

Thank you for the reply. What do you mean participate in forums.. u mean you advertise on them?

Kimberley, newspaper advertising is a wholedifferent ball game. Last year at this time i just left the marketing department at A Major newspaper here in Washington DC and to push a site through there you need to take a whole different approach. I don't think there is enough room in the forum for me to go over methods that really work for sites which do not have a strong name already. You could be better off with a sponsorship at an event related to your site or something where your target is in attendence.

Circulation numbers etc... are somewhat bull crap like readership rates etc... as well. Check with ABC, CAC etc.... which are the major circulation evaluators for that industry and you will get the readership rates which might say 95% however that is reads occasionally or regularly. the occasional makes the number huge.

I am just saying this as myself from past experience. Newspapers do do a great job, but you have to plan it out differently.

A leak by my definition is something that takes them off the page and makes them go directly to the company or to a different company, like if there is a phone number plastered on the page and the person would rather just pick up the phone and talk to a real person after calling a toll free number, you have lost the sale to a leak which is the phone number.

My definition is probably only half correct and I hope someone will define a leak better or direct us to a page where it is defined, but I hope it gives at least a basic definition.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly7
    Thank you for the reply. What do you mean participate in forums.. u mean you advertise on them?
    I'll give you a clue... Notice anything in particular about my signature?

But don't even think about adding a signature until you've had about 20 posts or so that have helped someone with a question they've asked, or provided the forum with some useful information. Once you've earned your keep so to speak, then it's common to include a link or two in your signature.

You may also have a web site that has information that answers someone's question, such as this tutorial on link cloaking that will help answer your question about leaks. So you post it to the forum and they benefit from it, and you benefit from the traffic. It's a nice win-win, and great way to build your community presence.

In fact, the more you give, the more you'll receive.

For example. I just went to a Blazer game against Boston - awesome club seating with free food (prime rib, shrimp pasta, the works). The tickets were given to me for free from a friend who I've helped out as often as I can with his website, and with getting started w/ affiliate marketing. That kind of stuff starts to happen a lot when you work hard to help others succeed.

Blazers lost unfortunately, but not surprisingly.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60493 Haiko gave this link to me for a dictionary of terms

Kimberly: As others have mentioned, you haven't provided enough detail for anyone to give meaningful advice. However, it's important that you realize that there are hundreds of thousands of people around the world engaged in AdWords advertising campaigns, who are trying to do the same thing you are. In addition, there are many outfits out there promoting affiliate marketing and/or AdWords as an easy way to make quick money.

It's a business, and any business requires a very clear understanding of the associated costs and revenues.

You said "I have several affiliat links and promote them all. I dont spend a whole lot per click from .01 to .40 maximum. I get clicks tons of them. I have call to action and all why am i not making money?"

The obvious answer is that you are spending money on people who click but don't buy. The strategy I use is to experiment with a wide variety of keywords, advertising formats and texts, and of course many different merchants and products.

Do the Math: Suppose I am an affiliate of CoolWidgets.com, which sells really cool widgets, and I earn a 10% commission on each sale of a $10 widget. And suppose that currently, I need to spend 11 cents per click to get an average #3 position on Google AdWords for the term "widget." And suppose that when I send customers to CoolWidgets.com, the company will manage to convert 1% of them into paying customers. Let's see -- I am spending $110 to send 1,000 customers to CoolWidgets.com, and 10 of them buy products at $10 each, for $100 in gross sales, and I earn 10%, which means I collect $10. I've spent $110 to generate $10 in revenue. This would not be a good business.

Now, suppose I am an affiliate of CustomWidgets.com, which sells customized widgets for $50 each, and I earn a 25% commission on each sale, and the average customer buys 2 widgets each ($100 average transaction size). And suppose I focus my bidding for the phrase "custom widgets," and I find that I must spend 27 cents per click to get an average #3 position. And let's assume that CustomWidgets.com can convert 3% of visitors into buyers. It will take longer to generate 1,000 clicks on this narrow search term, and it will cost $270 to do so. But 30 of these folks will buy an average of $100 each, for gross sales of $3,000, and my 25% commission would be $750. This time, I've earned a profit of $480. (What happened: I multiplied my conversion by 3, my average transaction times 10, and my commission rate by 2.5 -- and 3x10x2.5=75x increase in revenue.)

So there it is: you need to "do the math" and identify which opportunities can make money, and which cannot. You need to spend money on test campaigns -- and you must learn a lot about how to write effective ad copy that encourages the "right" people to click, and discourages the "wrong" people from clicking. You'll need to figure out which "negative keywords" to include in your campaigns (for example, "free" is a very effective negative keyword, since you rarely want people searching for "free widgets" if your goal is to generate sales).

You must accept that there are many keywords, products, and even product categories that you will never earn a profit from -- perhaps because there are people out there who are a lot smarter, or perhaps because there are many other people out there spending money foolishly (over-bidding so that the cost for the keyword can never be recovered).

This is a business, and it is a business based on knowledge, experience, judgment, and intuition. I've been doing this for a long time -- affiliate marketing for 10+ years, and PPC marketing for 7+ years. This past year, I spent thousands of dollars on "tests" that failed. In one case, I spent more than a thousand dollars and determined that there was simply no way I could make money in the category; in another case, I spent more than a thousand dollars only to determine that I could profit only on a very tiny segment (so I'm now spending $50 per month to generate $150 in revenue from that campaign).

Some very important tips:

(1) Bidding for #1 position will reduce your conversion rate (compared to position #2 or more), because moving from position #2 to position #1 will increase clicks substantially (perahps by 100%) and since your bid amount has increase, your overall expenses will rise more than that -- but sales will only increase a little but (perhaps by 30%) because so many people click on the first link they see "unwisely." I bid on THOUSANDS of keywords where my average position is #1, and I bid on THOUSANDS of keywords where my average position is #5 or worse -- my bidding is based on making money, and no other factor.

(2) You must usually accept that within ANY product category, there will be some terms which are unaffordable -- maybe Google is telling you that your minimum CPC is 40 cents, but your data tells you that you can't make money unless bids are under 25 cents per click. You may want to tweak your ad text or landing page, but usually you'll just give up and work on cheaper keywords.

(3) In any campaign, you will find a handful of keywords that have very high volume but don't convert -- you will need to let those go.

(4) With the affiliate model, you are always facing competition from the merchant itself, which usually has much more data, and better data, than you will ever see. (Some merchants will share some of their data, to help affiliates; most will not.)

There are HUNDREDS of little tips like this that I could spout, and I know that many folks have done so here on ABW. Read, read, read.
    Last edited by markwelch; January 3rd, 2007 at 12:20 PM.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    that is a bad model.

looking at a '-'ve ROI
    I would stick away from google PPC or any other PPC in the mean time.

Try reading up on ROI and PPC before handling the double edge sword.

ok great everyone and thanks. Some things I knew already and a few I did not. I am really concerned with the leak comment. I need to find out what that means. Does it mean that the owner of the site can cut me off if someone buys from me. I will look into the link cloak thing i suppose. Wish i had known this $1000 ago about the leak that is. But maybe someone else will learn from my mishap.

Leak simply means a visitor (that you referred) is distracted from a merchant site by things like Adsense, other affiliate links, phone numbers, and so forth - which, in essence, means you lose out on a possible sale/commission.

Do a search here at ABW for leaks, and you'll see all kinds of issues with various merchants. YOu'll get a better understanding after reading about a few cases.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread