ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Crofton youth killed during stunt with toy car

A 12-year-old boy died yesterday afternoon after crashing head-first into a tree as his older brother towed him down a Crofton street astride a toy car at more than 30 mph, county police said.

Despite frantic attempts by neighbors and paramedics to save him, Andrew T. Gawthrop was pronounced dead after being taken to North Arundel Hospital, police said.

His brother, 16-year-old Mitchell B. Gawthrop, who was driving his father's pickup truck while towing his younger brother, was not charged.

Police will finish their investigation and forward the results to the State's Attorney's Office, who will decide whether to charge the teen.

"It's definitely a tragedy," said Lt. Joseph E. Jordan, a county police spokesman.

Friends of Andrew described him as a daredevil, known to jump off the back deck of his townhome and crash his bike into trash cans.

"You dare him to do something and he'll do it," said James Keane, 13, a friend.

Before he crashed, Andrew was apparently trying to beat a "record" for the fastest run down Walden Drive on a 4-foot long "Weinermobile," a miniature replica of the famous Oscar Mayer hotdog mascot, according to James, who saw the accident.

Andrew, known as Drew to his friends, had already been pulled down the hill at 33 mph on the Weinermobile and was trying for 41 mph to beat another boy's record, James said. The speed limit is 25 mph on the quiet suburban street.

As they headed south down the street about 3:30 p.m., near his home on Waltham Court, Andrew sat on the toy car, holding onto a rope connected to the bumper or hitch of the maroon 2001 Ford pickup truck.

His older brother, an Arundel High School student with a provisional driver's license, was driving as another teen sat in the passenger seat and two more rode in the pickup's bed, police said.

At some point, as their speeds exceeded 30 mph, Andrew let go of the rope, causing him to lose control of the toy and strike the curb, police said.

Andrew, who was not wearing a helmet, was thrown into one of the many trees lining the quiet residential street, hitting his head, police said.

Andrew lay unconscious in the grass, James said.

"He was bleeding from his nose and from his mouth," James said. "He was unconscious the whole time."

Several people from the neighborhood rushed to Andrew's aid. An unidentified woman began giving him CPR, at times raising a pulse, James said.

Meanwhile, his tall, husky older brother was in tears.

"Drew's brother kept on asking them if (Andrew) was going to make it," James said.

Neither he nor the other passengers in the truck -- Joseph R. Whitworth Jr., 17, Matthew E. Jensen, 16, both of Crofton, and Gabriela A. Archibold, 16, of Odenton -- were injured, police said.

The older brother remained in a county police car at the site as traffic investigators marked off the area with blue spray paint.

Andrew's blue flipflops were left in the road, along with the Weinermobile, which at some point had lost both back wheels.

Authorities didn't tell Mr. Gawthrop that his brother had died until after he was driven from the scene. The boys' parents were unavailable for comment yesterday.

During the investigation, their father's shiny Ford pickup truck was parked off the street, a plastic chair still in the bed along with two skateboards.

County police said they received a call in the same area on Friday about 1:30 p.m. from a resident complaining about a maroon truck driving down the street towing kids on skateboards, Lt. Jordan said. But when an officer responded, the truck and kids were gone, he said.

Other residents said they had seen teens in the neighborhood last week pulling skateboarders down the street with a car but had never witnessed the stunt with the Weinermobile.

Chris Chambers, 16, a friend of Mr. Gawthrop's, said some kids had been towed down the street wearing roller blades, but never at speeds like yesterday.

"I don't know what they were thinking," Mr. Chambers said. "I tried to tell them to stop so many times .... It's dangerous as hell."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So sad. This is exactaly why parents get gray hair - worring that their kids will do smething like this.

Vicki

As a father of four and the oldest just getting his driving permit (and me more gray hair), I find this a hard article to read. I can only hope my kids would never do something like this.

ABW Ambassador
    I know...makes me think back to some of the stupid things I did as a kid....but nothing like this....they are talking about charging the older brother in this...It also makes you wonder because the police had been called before about the same truck pulling skateboards, etc through the neighborhood...didn't anybody tell the parents what was going on prior to the incident?

ABW Ambassador
    So very sad. A shame that it happened in the first place but a simple helmet likely would have saved his life.

Mike

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Unfortunately, when kids are doing something stupid like that, it is doubtful that they would bother to put on a helmet. That's just not cool. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

This is a tragedy that the whole family is going to have to live with for the rest of their lives, not matter if charges are brought against the brother or not. Very sad indeed.

I think the problem is the daredevil attitude some kids have. This is encouraged by their peers and somewhat by the parents who tend to praise boys more than girls for physical achievements - leading to the inpression that taking unneccessary risks is manly.

Having said that - I've done dafter things on the direct instructions of my parents. Mostly involving farming equpiment.

I

ABW Ambassador
    I know it sounds crass, but I am never too sad when someone wins the prestigious Darwin Award. Real tragedy lies when candidates for the Darwin award take out large numbers of innocent bystanders.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think a lot of otherwise good kids only avoided "winning the Darwin Award" out of sheer luck or Divine intervention.

A lot go on to become responsible adults (although sometimes the "adulthood" is delayed by about 10 years or so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

I myself find it quite sad that one idiotic stunt had such a high price. Without any other information about him than the fact that he was a "daredevil" who wanted to beat a record, I can't condemn him. Wanting to beat records--one of the motivators for the stunt--is a desire which could have been channeled into many productive endeavors once he matured mentally.

His death may have been a great loss to society, or not--we'll never know what he could have done later in life, now.

In many cases, people look for a reason or an excuse...poor background, alcohol, race etc etc. In a majority of the cases, the real reason is YOUTH!

In the last 15 minutes I've seen a very similar situation develop. A teenager in his car has raced up my street, missing a young boy on a skateboard (his own brother) racing DOWN the street. Do you think either one has learned any sort of lesson? I doubt it.

Young people seem invincible. They don't see the danger or don't think it will happen to them. Isn't this the reason that governments send the young ones to fight wars?

Survive youth and anything else that life can throw at you will be a walk in the park!

A 12 year old is young and dumb enough I can understand it - a 16 year old, while young and dumb enough to think HE could get away with it, I would think would be smart enough to think a 12 year old is too young to be doing something like that. Especially if it's a little brother.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I know it sounds crass, but I am never too sad when someone wins the prestigious Darwin Award. Real tragedy lies when candidates for the Darwin award take out large numbers of innocent bystanders.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have agreed with this statement if they were older. I did some things when I was younger that make me think that I'm lucky to be alive. I've been riding motorcycles as long as I can remember. I didn't get my first 'car' until I was 21. When my friends turned 16 and got cars, I got a streetbike...I rode fast (many times no helmet) and did some pretty stupid things. As I got older, I mellowed out.

In this story, I would have thought the older brother would have had a little better sense...I think Jaybat said it best:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A 12 year old is young and dumb enough I can understand it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The older brother is a different story.

>I did some things when I was younger that make me think that I'm lucky to be alive.

In my country when we want the thrill of wondering whether or not we are going to survive the next 5 minutes, we use the NHS.

Or for the *serious* risk takers - we eat our own cuisine.

I

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread