One of the Great things about affiliate marketing is...
    One of the Best things about doing affiliate marketing is..
    ...No Commute!

Maybe some of the people in these pictures should consider a new career.
    http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/...-in-world.html

http and a telephoto
    The outhouse on the mountains edge is the best shot....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The exchange of opinions, creation and discussion of ideas among peers while I sit here in my shorts and tee shirt.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    OMG there's no way I could drive those roads. I'm getting the willies just looking at them.

We live on the west side of the Berkshire Mountains (known in NY as the Taconic Mountains. Last weekend we decided to drive to a town on the Massachusetts side to do some shopping. We took a shortcut on a state road that goes up one side of a steep mountain and down the other. The only thing to prevent a car from going over the side is a metal guardrail. Halfway up the mountain we found ourselves engulfed in fog. Fortunately hubby was driving because I started to hyperventilate. By the time we got down from the mountain I was in quite a state! Hubby dryly remarked, "Well that might explain why we didn't see any other cars on the road." Needless to say we took a different (less direct) route home.

Mountains are tricky. We've had the experience of going up a mountain in fine weather only to find ourselves in a whiteout on the other side. I much prefer the ten foot commute from our bedroom to my office across the hall.

Yes, I am a giant weenie!

http and a telephoto
    Rhea!!!! I've driven that road!!!!!! Chris closed his eyes the whole way.... lol... good thing HE didn't drive..... he just sat there talking to me, not looking, making sure I was ok. Fortunately I am a very good driver and the fog in the mountains in NY, MA or PA (that was frequent) didn't freak me out.
    Deborah Carney

Loxly, thanks for the backup. I'm a good driver too...WHEN I CAN ACTUALLY SEE WHERE I'M GOING! lol! Maybe I'm not such a weenie after all. Hubby is, admittedly, fearless. I had to nag him to slow down.

BTW, this road is absolutely lovely when the weather's not a problem. It's quite literally the middle of nowhere, which is another problem, because cell phones don't work out there and you can drive a mile without seeing a house. Not a good place to have an accident or car trouble.

http and a telephoto
    Yup.... it's a beautiful road on a sunny day... but who drives to Massachusetts on a sunny day? We drove mostly at night....

My dad was a truck driver, taught me lots about driving in bad weather... I always have him with me in fog and snow and ice... his voice guides me and that makes me not fearless, but not fearful either. Confident. I am a confident driver in pretty much all weather conditions.
    Deborah Carney

CPA Network Rep
    I couldn't even imagine! And that hiking trail...I almost passed out just looking at the pictures. I guess being in North America we have a lot that we just take for granted. I have never seen a government highway look like that first one in Russia (I believe it was). Crazy!

When I was younger, I went to Maui with my mother, and she got the bright idea of wanting to drive up the volcano, which of course was one lane with sharp turns so you had absolutely no idea what was coming towards you. We had to stop at turns we could not see around and lean on the horn before going around. Got caught in some sticky situations.

Needless to say, we only got have way up the volcano before deciding to turn around!

lol .... some of those roads look a lot worse
    KK

The kids and I were just remembering this mountain driving story Christmas Eve:

It was fall in Montana (western side) and we took my little Dodge Colt up the mountain to see if we could find Hubby and friends who were supposed to be cutting firewood.

I managed to get us into a hairpin turn - dead end combo and started a three point turn to go back. Three children in the back seat were all in agreement for once in their life; "Mom, can we get out and stand over there while you turn the car around?"

I'm not sure what they had in mind as a plan to get home by themselves, but at least they were going to avoid going over the side.

lol Judi, that reminds me of my family's one attempt to drive up Mt. Washington (NH). My mom was the one who wanted to do it (dad was worried about the transmission and brakes) and the great irony is my mom was terrified of heights. Well we got halfway up and mom was cowering on the floor of the car sobbing and begging dad to turn the car around and go back. Not so easy on the side of a mountain. When it became apparent that dad was going to do it I asked if I could get out of the car and wait by the side of the road. He reminded me that as windy as it was up there I could easily be blown off the mountain. :gulp:

Somehow my dad got the car turned around (double-digit point turns) and we got back down. And then my brazen mom went into the gift shop and bought one of those "This car climbed Mt. Washington" stickers and insisted dad put it on the car.

Rhea and Lox: Are you talking about the road up Mount Washington? I don't recall one down Taconic way..

As for the roads on that blog? No thanks.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

simcat, thanks for posting that link.

Btw, I just finished viewing the entire site, and some other external links.

It only took me 3 hrs there!

Noth, I was referring to Rt. 2 in Rensselaer County. Not sure what it's called on the MA side.

There are no roads in NY or MA that go up Mt. Washington. It's entirely in New Hampshire. There's not much to do once you get to the top except try not to be blown away but I hear the view is awesome. Supposedly you can see NH, VT, ME and MA from the top but I wouldn't know coz I only ever got halfway up!

http://www.mountwashington.com/autoroad/tour/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    One of the Best things about doing affiliate marketing is..
    ...No Commute!

OMG! That road is unreal. I don't think I'd live through the experience.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I just love the pictures of those Russian ones....

You cannot imagine how many rural Russian roads look like the first one there...

Geno

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Note to self,
    Don't travel to Yakutsk via Russian Siberian Road. You might starve to death.

Got the Chinese Hiking trail in my email many time before, I am amazed by the scenery and puzzeled why people would do that initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    lol Judi, that reminds me of my family's one attempt to drive up Mt. Washington (NH). My mom was the one who wanted to do it (dad was worried about the transmission and brakes) and the great irony is my mom was terrified of heights. Well we got halfway up and mom was cowering on the floor of the car sobbing and begging dad to turn the car around and go back. Not so easy on the side of a mountain. When it became apparent that dad was going to do it I asked if I could get out of the car and wait by the side of the road. He reminded me that as windy as it was up there I could easily be blown off the mountain. :gulp:

Somehow my dad got the car turned around (double-digit point turns) and we got back down. And then my brazen mom went into the gift shop and bought one of those "This car climbed Mt. Washington" stickers and insisted dad put it on the car.
    If only your dad had known, he could've saved you all the trouble and just bought her the sticker!

Anybody here drive the road to Hana? That's one thing you'll never get my mom to do again....
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread