ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    My wife is about to lose her job as an ad executive. For years now, I've been trying to find a legitmate work at home opportunity for her. We have a six month old daughter.

Ofcourse, I've had medium success with affiliate marketing, but like most, I cannot support myself with it yet. So I still work a full-time job while I try to build up enough monthly income.

Now, more than ever, I need to find a legitimate work at home opportunity for her. Unfortunately, she has no experience with the web. I'm ruling out any affiliate marketing opportunities in hopes of finding something else that she might actually enjoy.

I've seen it all, gift baskets businesses, real estate businesses, etc... I even recommend some of those types of businesses on one of my sites. I do believe in them, but they just don't fit for us.

I can't seem to find the right one for her. I know you can't really recommend anything without knowing her background and skills. I guess I was just looking for some inspiration/ideas on what other people in my/her situation have had success with.

I know it's a lot to ask. Any ideas you have are appreciated.

Well, I ran a women only massage therapy business out of my home when we were at that stage in kids. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . However, my state required licensing. Luckily, I'd started the licensure procedure/courses before marriage and finished pre-pregnancy.

Child care, if you can stand other people's kids. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Lessons for kids/adults in anything that one can teach: ESL for elderly immigrants, crafts, sewing, specialty cooking.

Wait, she's an ad executive???? HAVE HER WRITE THE MATERIAL FOR AN E-BOOK, you publish it. Courses on networking, how to write ads, brochures that she can sell via the local classifieds on how to write ads, how to sell...

What a great opportunity for her to get a life outside of a j*b that takes her away from your little one!

You say she has no experience on the web, but does she enjoy the computer or show any interest at all? Up until 2 years ago I would have laughed at you if you had told me I could make a living at this business - all I knew how to do was "Word". If she's interested, do not discount it. I am basically self taught with help and advise from a friend - if she is at all interested, what a team you could be!

What does she most enjoy doing, and what is she best at?

For instance, I enjoy sitting on my ass and being lazy and I'm good at pattern recognition. I'm mostly known for having things happen while appearing to do nothing.

It had to be affiliate marketer or magician really.

I

Why not just help her get set up as an advertising consultant working from home?

{

She's an ad executive and you're ruling out affilaite marketing???

I sure wouldn't rule it out for her. Maybe you've only enjoyed medium success but she might do very well at it.

The best part is she can still work somewhere else. It only takes about one productive hour a day to do this.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    One productive hour a day, or 4 months of doing Nothing and then 2-3 weeks of typing like MAD!

As you can see, there's different ways of keeping the money coming in with this. And an ad executive may be a perfect match for this--advertising is what makes a page SELL and not just sit there.

I know there's different kinds of ad executives (for instance, some specialize in getting new clients which would probably be a whole different thing), but either the creative division or the ad buying/media placement division could move over to this fairly easily. The media placement division part would help with knowing how to promote her own website, of course...

And the only thing better than being an executive is OWNING THE JOINT which is exactly what an affiliate marketer does. We own our sites and make *all* the decisions--no boards, no bosses, and merchants that get too big for their britches are easy to drop.

I really think this is indeed the best course, given that ad executive background. She should be able to kick some major tail, once she gets a site up and listed. Unless you have some kind of "noncompete agreement" between you, or something...

If you *do*, then the ebook is probably the best thing. I can't think of any bricks-and-mortar type things that are w*rk-at-home and don't require travel (to clients, shows, or other)...

[ 08-15-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    She's a natural for pre-sell copy. Get her a book on Microsoft Frontpage and HTML for Dummies and also have her learn text art and simple graphics with Paint Shop Pro. Once she is proficent with these let her make her own shopping site. If she takes to it then give her advice on affiloate merchant selections and do web sites and Ad flyers for locals on the side.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts.

Webmistress said,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What a great opportunity for her to get a life outside of a j*b that takes her away from your little one!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the way I'm seeing it. Now if I could just make up her salary in affiliate checks I could make that happen. I do see it as an opportunity to be with our child though.

Abigail said,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You say she has no experience on the web, but does she enjoy the computer or show any interest at all? Up until 2 years ago I would have laughed at you if you had told me I could make a living at this business - all I knew how to do was "Word". If she's interested, do not discount it. I am basically self taught with help and advise from a friend - if she is at all interested, what a team you could be!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She honestly has no interest in building web pages. Frankly, it just wouldn't make sense. I can build at a rate she will never achieve, so even if she did want to do something online, it would make more sense for me to do all the grunt work. You're right though, I think we could be a great team, I just need to get her involved somehow.

Icicle said,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What does she most enjoy doing, and what is she best at?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been thinking about this for a few years now. The most marketable idea I have had for her is trying to sell hand written special occasion envelopes and invitations, etc... She has the most perfect handwriting you have ever seen. It's so perfect, it's like a font. The question is, how much would you be willing to pay for this type of thing? I think I might give it a go and see what happens.

Eaglefire said,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why not just help her get set up as an advertising consultant working from home?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to do that Eagle. Any advice on how to get started? This is a great option, but could possibly take years to build up a client base. I'm considering this for her as well. That is, if she still wants to have anything to do with advertising. She is a bit burnt.

Leader and Heyder,

I get your points. However, I've tried to get her on board with this stuff before. I just don't see her planting herself in front of the computer every day. Maybe, just maybe, she could get involved with some of my projects (if they ever start earning). She was an ad executive that dealt with huge clients. Basically, her job was to coordinate, or be the go-between, between internal resources and the client. This was all mostly retail media buying of magazines and newspapers. Occassionaly a tv or radio ad. Never an internet buy.

EcomCity,

Great thoughts. As I mentioned above, I think she's burned on the ad business.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas.

Jim

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Jim,

Even if she's burnt out on advertising, it could be something to fall back on until she decides what exactly she wants to do. There are lots of places on the Net that people post jobs they need from consultants and freelance. I've seen many related to advertising. Not necessarily for Internet marketing. I think that many people who operate on the Net have no idea how to go about running campaigns in the "real world." And smaller businesses can't afford a big ad agency.

If she has any talent with writing, I've seen requests for freelance ad writers also.

The ebook is a good idea to. Marketing how-to's for the real world, but promote it through the Internet.

Has she thought about maybe doing seminars locally for small business owners?

She could very well be able to pick up a few jobs a month just from job requests being posted on the Internet. If you need some freelance type sites, let me know I know I got some bookmarks somewhere. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'd love to do that Eagle. Any advice on how to get started? This is a great option, but could possibly take years to build up a client base. I'm considering this for her as well. That is, if she still wants to have anything to do with advertising. She is a bit burnt.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She may feel less burnt-out once she is running her own show. Instead of trying to compete with the large advertising firms, she might be able to find a niche targetting mid-tier companies. There are a number of other niches and angles I can think of. For example, combine both your skillsets to provide a comprehensive on-and-offline advertising and marketing strategies for busineses for maximum coverage. The two of you could work in tandem. Or consulting for large affiliates to help them build an offline advertising strategy to increase traffic to their web properties. I've seen first-hand with my web clients how effective an combined on-and-offline strategy can be.

As for building a client base there are a bunch of books on general consulting and on building a client base for a home-based business. The best general books on self-employment are by Sarah and Paul Edwards. One of their classics is :
    Secrets of Self-EmploymentSurviving and Thriving on the Ups and Downs of Being Your Own Boss
    and
    Getting Business to Come to You. The latter book in particular should get both of your idea juices flowing.

Perhaps some advertising work for non-profits for fund raising purposes? ....

Well Frederick isn't here to say it so I will say it for him - MLM (Multi-Level marketing). MLM is only a good option if she likes dealing with people and is willing to invest around $50 to $100 a month. One telecom company has no costs which I would highly recommend. There are a number of good companies to deal with. It's also important to find the right sponsor to be a mentor.

Another good option it appears for her would be unique "one of a kind" greeting cards or maybe even her line of cards. Possibly a calligraphy biz - check out AnneRobin.com. I don't know how big of market that is though.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

PS - (I'll be heading to the lakes for the weekend soon so please don't abuse me too much for my MLM suggestion everyone [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread