Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Anyone know what this is?
    This has been showing up in the logs for one of the sites I maintain for the past couple days. It is visiting tons of pages.

Does anyone know who/what it is?

DELETED......
    Last edited by ~Michelle; January 5th, 2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: causing strange things to happen
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

FYI - the images that are being referenced (some kind of spacer gif) is popping up a login box for me from a site named "....memory...com" (didn't want to mention the entire url in case it's yours).
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I'm not sure what you're referring to but when I've clicked on this post just to read it I get a pop up for a cpanel to sign into a certain site. Have gone back and done it again two or three times with the same result. Yeap, just saw the post made at the same time as mine...and yeap, it's the same thing I'm referring to.

How weird is that?

I deleted the thing that was showing up in the logs so it wouldn't happen to anyone else.

Why would that string of 'stuff' cause either of those things to happen?

Money Business, how did you determine that code was a specific image?
    ~Michelle

There were two boxes with red "x"s displaying in the code you provided (indicating there were missing images), after clicking "cancel" for the login prompt.

You could probably re-post the code, minus the .gif images (there were only two). That should resolve the login prompt issue.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; January 5th, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

How weird... there wasn't any image codes included in what I posted.

When I viewed it after posting it was just the line of senseless code that I was asking about. No red x's, not popup login's... nothing but a date, time, the word referrer and the string of code.

hmmmmmmmm
    ~Michelle

It's likely you won't see it for two reasons:

1) you're already logged in to the site (cached), and hence why the login prompt doesn't appear for you specifically. I wonder if you go back into your panel and log out, and possibly clear out cookies (not sure if that matters), and try it again whether the prompt will appear.

2) the images we're speaking of are spacer images, and are intentionally left invisible or transparent (for use in spacing various items in a design. I use it often within tables and such). You won't see it unless it's missing.

Make sense?

But, back to your original question (been thinking about it). If it's going through a ton of your pages, I'm willing to bet it's a bot - and one that's not well known (or respectable) at all, simply b/c they don't announce the type/name within the user-agent information.

If I were you, and if you feel it's taking up too much bandwidth, I would simply block the IP from your site. The important ones always have referral info (i.e., googlebot, msnbot, yahoo! slurp, etc).

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread