GoDaddy auto-renewal
    I just had some of my domains auto-renew, and it wasn't until afterward that I realized that I cost myself a few dollars as a result.

Auto-renew is good because you can basically set it and forget it, without worrying that you'll lose the domain because you forgot to renew it.

BUT... I realized after these domains renewed that, of course, they renew at full retail pricing. With all the discount offers that GoDaddy sends via email, I could have saved a few bucks by manually renewing ahead of the auto-renew date.

The best approach is to enable auto-renew, but once you start getting renewal notices, pick a good discount offer and use it to manually renew.

Hopefully this reminder will save somebody lunch money.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this thread bayview, I too have become conscious of this fact. The option is great but could cost you a little here and a little there depending on how many domains you have registered with them.

The thing I've grown most to hate about godaddy are the upsale calls. Once you give them your number, they call you at least twice a week asking the same questions...

But all in all they are OK..
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

I have all of mine set on auto-renew, but just today I combined the next month or so of renewals into one package to get bulk pricing.

I turned off auto-renew completely on all domains. Since we have so many domains, now I just log in once a week to make sure everything is okay.

I have auto-renew turned off for all my domains. I manually renew everything once a year (usually before the end of the year so I can expense it earlier). They send out tons of emails warning before they expire (90 days, 60 days, etc.), so there's not much risk of losing one. I have my more important domains registered for 10 years or so.

If you're renewing 50 or more at a time, you get the bulk rates, which are usually as good or better than a coupon.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If you have over 100 domains you get your own dedicated rep at GoDaddy and save about $3 per domain. I simply send my GoDaddy rep a list of ones I want to renew (usually those expiring the next couple of months) and the next day it is all done.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Or become a wildwestdomains reseller and just give yourself a discount. I did the math a few years ago and with my 200~ domains, it definetly worked out to be a reseller and give myself a discount. And since doing that, I also now make a few hundred a month by selling domains so my domains have essentially become not just free but a money maker*

Chet
    *Yes, technically the domains don't do much for this, but i would not have done it without them.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    when that underseas quake in china broke that large internet cable and a large chunk of geography was without internet access for several days, over 10,000 domain owners lost their domains because they failed to renew them...

don't mean to sound like the sky is falling here, but i've got mine all on auto-renew... and like Coley, my important ones are renewed years and years and years out...

china domains lost story:
    http://www.informationweek.com/manag...Section=Global
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    China Loses 10,000 Domains To Quake

The 10,000 users lost their expiring .com domains when they were unable re-register after an underseas earthquake limited Internet access.

By Gregg Keizer
    InformationWeek

Jan 5, 2007 10:59 AM

Chinese domain owners lost about 10,000 domain names because of the earthquake that cut undersea cables off the coast of Taiwan last month, state-controlled media reported Friday.

According to the official Xinhua wire service, the China International Network Information Center (CNNIC) said the 10,000 users lost their expiring .com domains when they were unable re-register. Domains must be regularly re-registered or they return to the pool of available addresses.

"Because the domain names are lost due to an act of God, enterprises and individuals involved may be appropriately compensated by the domain name server, but the scheme is still under discussion," Xinhua quoted a source close to the CNNIC.

The Dec. 26 quake, which was measured at magnitude 7.1 by the U.S. Geological Survey, struck 45 miles off Taiwan's southern coast, and cut numerous submarine data and phone cables in the region. Internet service was severely limited for several days in some countries as telecom companies struggled to use alternate links to the U.S. Repair ships have been dispatched to fix the damaged cables.

Xinhua reported that full Internet service to and from China should be restored by Jan. 15.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't buy that story. It's been less than two weeks since the quake. It takes more like two months for a domain to delete.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Is that all the spammers waiting until the very last day of their expired time limit? Seems like BS to me as well.

More like 100,000 domains were stuck with chinese who were trying to kite but got caught out of luck on the final day. Which would be happy good #1 news.

Chet

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread