Looking for thoughts on how to promote
    Our site sells thousands of new textbooks with a guaranteed buyback. All the student has to do is send us the book back by the date published and they will get up to 50% of the purchase price.

It is kind of a rebate and designed to promote the sale of used book. A smart consumer would by the new over the used because in the long run it is cheaper.

List: $100
    New Price: $89 w $45.50 back (total cost = $45.50)
    Used Price: $67 (may have buyback value but no promise)

Question is how do we promote that in pricing sites and on coupon sites? Do you think 18 to 24 year olds would understand it better as a rebate? Buyback is a term used on campus?

Any ideas are welcome.

Jeff
    Textbooks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Textbooks.com
    Buyback is a term used on campus?
    When I was in college, that's what they called it. From my experience, I think students would understand the buyback term more than "rebate", but that's just my opinion.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

When I think rebate, I think of when I bought my DVD player and got a $20.00 mail-in rebate. And they won't take the DVD player back and give me half my money back.

Buyback sounds quite self-explanatory. If a college student doesn't get it, they might need to hang on to their textbooks a little longer, lol.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

All of Indiana's campus that I know of ... Ball State, All the IU campus, All the Ivy Tech, Bulter, Franklin, and Purdue (I believe) .... all refer to it as a buyback.

That's what I have always known it as well
    Last edited by Kristin Collier; January 5th, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
    KK

Buyback
    I would definitely suggest sticking with 'buyback'

You might also think about adding something like this to the product page:

New Price - Guaranteed Buyback = Your Total Cost

...of course, with real numbers though.

Man, I must be getting old. I don't even remember what it was called when I was in college.

It looks like a good thing to promote. You probably want a landing page that explains it, similar to what you did above. Maybe even explain it on the individual pages.

So, you guarantee that you'll buy back any new textbook you sell at 50% of the price paid? I think our college (and the nearby bookstores) would only buy back books if the same book (and edition) was used the following semester, which often wasn't the case. That does seem marketable.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Tax Paying Member
    Maybe I am picking..............But to me buyback and rebate are two entirely different transactions.

Rebate is when the seller gives some money back to the purchaser and the purchaser retains the product.

Buyback is when customer purchases an item with the chance to sell it back at a later date for a lesser price. This way he gives up the product.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Good Points by All
    Good points by all.

Yes, we pay 50% back on new books but we only have selected titles in the program. They are clearly marked on the site and we currently have around 15,000 titles with that promotion. Those 15% cover a large percentage of the titles most used on campuses.

I agree to continue to call it buyback.

As affiliates what would you want to promote this on your website?
    It is a tough concept to explain in few words.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Jeff,

I think 'buyback' is pretty self-explanatory - A brief description would be all that's needed to explain the concept and process.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Textbooks.com
    As affiliates what would you want to promote this on your website?
    It is a tough concept to explain in few words.
    I'd definitely be interested in an affiliate program that pays on buybacks, as I'm not sure that any other textbook sites offer commission on that. Pretty much any college related site that advertises a site with buybacks that exceed what the bookstore pays will give your company some good publicity (and books to buyback).

I see that your company is located in Columbia, MO - Have you tried (and if so have you found any luck) flyering the Mizzou campus advertising your site's buyback? I'm locate near some college campuses, and am wondering if that may work.

Promoting on Campus
    We ship out of a warehouse in Columbia Mo. We have taken a stance to note directly promote on campus. Our target customers are those already online looking to buy or sell. We don't guarantee that we will pay more than the bookstore. That will differ from campus to campus. This promotion is one more based around selling textbooks. Our affiliate program currently doesn't have a buyback program but we will launch one this month. When we do, it will not include affiliate payments on books purchased from us under one of our programs. We already pay a premium on these books and can't afford to pay a commission on top of that. We will, however, pay a commission on any books not purchased from us within our buyback program. If you are interested, please sign up and then email me so I know that we talked on ABW and we can work something out when we launch that part of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    When I was in college, that's what they called it. From my experience, I think students would understand the buyback term more than "rebate", but that's just my opinion.

me too for sure.. all colledge <----- students would understand that

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread