Internet Cowboy
    OPMs and AMs...Are you spamming affiliates?
    This question is not really directed at anyone in particular but I am getting more and more emails to the effect of:
    Dear Scott,
    We have reviewed your site and we think it would be a great fit for xxxxx affiliate program. Yadda Yadda Yadda....Blah Blah Blah
    Now, does the fact that I have affiliate sites make it a great fit? Am I expected to put collectible porcelain figurines on my apparel site? Is that really a targeted effort?

I think this is just a general recruiting email, but when you tell me you have reviewed my site and you think my site and your porcelian figurines (or whatever) are a great fit, do you not realize you look foolish at that point?

Recruiting emails are not bad, but just send them to let me know about your program. Don't insult me and pretend that you have spent time reviewing my site because the only site I have that would fit what most of these programs have is my coupon site and if they had reviewed that, they would have included an offer for the site with their email.

Pretending to know my site and expecting me to be flattered that you think your widgets belong on my site only makes you look like a spammer in my eyes.

Help me out here someone:
    I am not an AM or OPM and don't claim to be, but I would think that when recruiting affiliates, targeting is just as important as it is when we are running a PPC ad selling our widgets. email blasts to every affiliate email address you can find only shows me that you are lazy and looking for an easy way out. Is this right?

Again, this rant is not aimed at anyone in particular. Just my opinion

Of course they aren't. Sheesh, get real.

http and a telephoto
    I think because I started as an affiliate that got those emails, I don't do them. I am actually a more passive AM and not as aggressive as I probably *should* be, because I am afraid of being accused of spamming. I would rather talk to someone in person or recruit them here at ABW than send an unsolicited email. But I am *positive* I am in the minority.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Internet Cowboy
    This was not an ABW person or anyone else that I know, just to clarify.

I got one from someone that I would not have expected. But they did send me one today.

True it would be a fit and I am not complaining. As an affiliate when there IS a program that fits into one of my sites, I am happy to get the mail that at least brings it to my attention that one time.

Any more without me making a further inquiry on the first email would be bugging me with their spam.

If I answer then I agree to talk to that person about the program that does fit.

Oh Poopie

I get a few here and there, and to tell you the honest truth, it's a waste of time. I don't pay any attention to these types of offers, simply b/c it'll be a big coincidence for any of them to fit my current plan. I can't imagine the signup rate being very high.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I think this is just a general recruiting email, but when you tell me you have reviewed my site and you think my site and your porcelian figurines (or whatever) are a great fit, do you not realize you look foolish at that point?
    This is an very focused recruitment email that is used in an extremely broad recruitment circumstances. Was not used properly and it does discount the value of the email, the program and the AM.

I get many emails for link exchanges using this type of tactic... "We have reviewed your site and think it is of excellent quality blah blah"

Does anyone actually believe these types of emails?

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by restless
    I get many emails for link exchanges using this type of tactic... "We have reviewed your site and think it is of excellent quality blah blah"

Does anyone actually believe these types of emails?
    I get those too. They end up the same place this one did.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I get those emails to AFP and I just shake my head. At least your site *is* an affiliate site. Obviously software generated.

Then I get the emails from adware companies who have *reviewed* my site and feel they can drive quality traffic to me. Those make me giggle and I note contact info for the company I may not have had. Those emails get put in a special folder for days when I need a good laugh.

But the best are the couple of times I've gotten actual phone calls from companies who engage in some rather dubious practices after I've attended some industry thing. And yep, they've reviewed my site and business and they can provide me a service that is a perfect match for my business. Those have been wayyyy too much fun.

You'd think that marketers would understand the concept of targeting their efforts no?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Dear Scott,

We have reviewed your site and feel that your apparel theme is a great fit with our snow tire affiliate program. Consider these factors:

1.) snow tires are something that everyone can use. Am I right? Of course I am!!

2.) why would anyone buy a dress through your site and not be tempted to purchase studded snow tires? Of course they would!! Talk about a "fit!"

3.) people who buy clothing online love coupon offers. We have a coupon offer by which anyone who buys a clothing item on your site, and then buys a set of 4 Michelin snow tires gets a set of tire chains free of charge!! You can't beat that kind of offer - am I right? Of course I am!!

4.) people buy apparel because they want to look good. What is better looking than a jet black set of Parelli snow tires? Come on Scooter - you've got to be seeing the big picture by now - eh?

5.) people who buy apparel often send it back because it doesn't fit. But when they buy snow tires, they know exactly what they are getting, and KNOW that they will fit every time. Thus you eliminate returns and chargebacks on commissions. You gettin the idea yet? Of course you are!!

6.) unlike apparel, snow tires do not have to be laundered or pressed. Think about the time consumers will save just on laundry!!

7.) nothing says "I love you" like a set of snow tires for that special someone. They are the perfect anniversary or birthday gift, and talk about a gift that will leave her speechless on Valentines day - forget about it.

8.) name one clothing item that sports a 55,000 mile warranty!! Go ahead, think of even ONE. You can't - and that's the beauty of selling our product.

We would highly recommend that you display our image banners on your shoe pages, as well as bra and underwear pages. It's a natural blend that'll have the ladies going wild.

When you stop and think about it - I know you will agree with me that you have been passing up a gold mine. So call me today and let's team up to make you all that you can be!! woo hoo.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I imagine the AM is new or their target affiliates are rank amateurs looking to get rich quick.

Recruiting emails (and phone calls) are all about targeting. If it's not sent to a real potential affiliate, there's absolutely no point in sending the email.

In my old Rx days (when I was more agressive about recruiting), first it was research, then I'd hand type each email specific to the particular site/company/individual I was contacting, would referrence the specific products and programs they were currently promoting and would usually work towards speaking with them on the phone. Many of those affiliates became fantastic producers.

A single quality affiliate can be worth $millions in sales - why risk insulting them with pointless blanket recruiting spam?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

<LOL at ALH post!>

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Recruiting emails (and phone calls) are all about targeting. If it's not sent to a real potential affiliate, there's absolutely no point in sending the email.
    Right on the nail. I have responded to recruiting emails and phone calls and have some good merchants that I work with because of them, but only where the AM has bothered to make sure there is really a fit. I have never responded to a blanket email, not only as a matter of principle, but as the fit is almost entirely useless.

Even if the fit was good I'm put off the merchant for using such tactics.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I get the "we have reviewed your site" mails just because we happen to have keywords that fit what their software is hunting for. There is a lot of automated junk that creates these emails on the fly, blasts them out and the contacting party really has no clue who they are reaching out to. After one day of review I banned my team from using software for recruiting.

Certainly we reach out to sites we hope to partner with but we certainly make sure there is a direct relationship between what our client sells and what a site promotes.

Targeting is key, sending emails that aren't related, will at best be ignore at worst potentially alienate a future partner!

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

You're spot on Scoot. One of my clients even gets these emails to their merchant site.

I do send out recruiting emails but actually look at the site and decide if it's a good fit first. I don't state that I "reviewed your site" but I do mention the site I reviewed and maybe even some tools available to them that fit their site (datafeed, coupons, etc.). Sure, it's a lot slower but I know every site before I send the email.

Same thing applies to recruiting internally-never contact without reviewing their site first. I've seen some of our partner's sites that were completely changed (or dropped) since the last time I saw them, so it's not even a good idea to blindly recruit from your own pool of affiliates. It's one-at-a-time for me.

BTW, everyone who posted in this thread: We have reviewed your sites and we think it would be a great fit for...
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

On a serious note I see these emails occasionally too, and I am always amused when the sender states that they have reviewed my site when they obviously have not spent time on anything other than locating my email address.

Obviously, blanket recruiting under the guise of having researched the fit-ability of sites does not fool anyone and more often burns a bridge for the future. We have the term "little white lies" - perhaps these types of mailings would qualify as "little white spams?"
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Hate to say it, but it's probably a permanent part of the business

Part of me wants to hit the REPLY button, figure out how to attach a "No Thank You" virus

Part of me wants to call them and say "In what world is your lingerie stuff a perfect fit for my Gifts for Preschoolers site", but as Chris said, they probably don't even know the email was sent

Even tho I complained to them. Even though I complained to the network. Even tho I contacted the BBB. San Fran Musicbox STILL sends me "I think your site is a perfect match" emails.

BUT... you HAVE to glance at the email - which is all they want - 'cause you never know if it IS a good fit

Well, I did hit the reply button and told them about a better fit (one of my sites). I neglected to tell them how they declined my sites a few years before, though . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Even tho I complained to them. Even though I complained to the network. Even tho I contacted the BBB. San Fran Musicbox STILL sends me "I think your site is a perfect match" emails.
    Sounds like maybe they know something that you've overlooked Billy!! You better jump on that one!!

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Scoot I think you are getting off EASY man.

The worst are when I get emails telling me that our affiliate program is a perfect fit for another affiliate program and to use <this link> to refer OUR affiliates to their program.

OMG, are you kidding me?

What in the heck are these guys smoking that would make them thing I would refer our affiliates to a program I have never heard of and have never met the AM?

</rant>
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread