Talking Ad placement makes a big difference
    I've read in other posts about the importance of experimenting with different ad placements, meaning the location of your ads on your web pages (top, bottom, left, right, etc).

I've tried left column and right column small banners with text, with mediocre results... C/I at below 1%. I've tried larger banners at the bottom of each article as well with about the same dismal results.

Yesterday I tried placing larger banners at the top of each article page, so that it's the first thing a user sees. C/I went up noticeably for both Linkshare and Commission Junction ads. Here are a few of them, with the impressions listed first, then the clicks, and lastly the C/I ration:

Linkshare:
    Netflix, Inc. 15 2 13.33%
    TigerDirect 22 2 9.09%
    Apple Store 10 1 10.00%
    Lingo 10 1 10.00%

Granted, this is still very low levels of traffic, and didn't result in any sales yet that I know of (although there's usually a delay in reporting, so there might still be a sale in there somewhere ) But it got my attention. If traffic was higher on these fairly new sites, then I think there might be some silver lining to be found.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    thanks for sharing the results. That is always good to know.

are those 728*90 or 468 *60 banner?

What works best are dropping in text links.
    They convert better and as a blogger, that work wonders.

They're actually the large 300 x 250 square or slightly-rectangular ads. I thought they'd be obnoxious, but was out of options and figured it'd be worth a shot.

On dad-eblog I use a text caption right above each ad that ties it in with raising a family.... such as "Stay connected with your kids" above a free Cingular phone ad, or "Rent a movie for family night" above a Netflix ad.

I even have a "Time for a family vacation?" above a Travelocity ad, but maybe it's time I started using your ads too, eh?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    They're actually the large 300 x 250 square or slightly-rectangular ads. I thought they'd be obnoxious, but was out of options and figured it'd be worth a shot.

I even have a "Time for a family vacation?" above a Travelocity ad, but maybe it's time I started using your ads too, eh?
    Maybe it's time for me to push out some 300*250 banners
    Those are hardly being utilized by aff and the more common used are 125*125, 468*60. Maybe you found a banner niche that will work for you.

Just a FYI: we will be changing all banners on oursite, the whole 9 yards but this should not interupt the banner serving or display. I would personally wait for a week or 2

Thumbs up I think it will be worth the wait
    I definitely will be signing up with you, and thanks for taking time to personally go out to one of my sites and post a comment on one of my blog posts.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Rick - we have found over and over again that text links in most cases outperform banners. You may want to experiment with some good text driven ads and see how it does for you. Often banners are lost among a maze of other banners or the images blend in with everything else on the page, but a strategically placed text banner stands out.

Good luck to you.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Rick - we have found over and over again that text links in most cases outperform banners. You may want to experiment with some good text driven ads and see how it does for you. Often banners are lost among a maze of other banners or the images blend in with everything else on the page, but a strategically placed text banner stands out.

Good luck to you.

Alan
    Reality should factor into these banner/text Ad observations. Small button banners and short text Ads account for 90% of all affiliate promotional efforts. What idiot couldn't therefore surmise they outperform larger banners. I can take any product merchant and get 3 times the CTR of plain text Ads on Google's Adwords CONTENT network with larger sized banners. Go figure!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread