Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unhappy In desperate need... Who's Your Favorite Hosting Company
    I'm in serious need of finding a new hosting company. The company I'm currently with is always going down, always losing email, and basically is not reliable. So I was wondering who everyone's favorite hosting company is and why because I'm to the point to where I'm willing to take a loss for the last 6 months of the already paid contract to switch to a more reliable company.

15 years and counting

Thank you very much. I'll take a look at FastNext and hopefully be making a switch very soon.

Did you pick fastnext just because of the 'fastest growing' posts? Did I miss some information about why they are the 'best'?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Did you pick fastnext just because of the 'fastest growing' posts? Did I miss some information about why they are the 'best'?
    If pricing is an issue, it is one of the top budget hosts.

Plus, ABW-ers always get a special attention from FastNext.

Geno

After checking out their site, there prices are competitive, their packages are good, and if purchased by tomorrow, buying 1 year gets an additional half a year free or buying 2 years gets an additional 1 year free. They also garantee 99% up time. I haven't switched yet but they seem pretty good. A lot better than the company that we're with now.

15 years and counting
    I picked them:
    1-Because they have their own forum at ABestWeb
    2-Their AM will not let you down (and you can see, he's very responsive)

It's already two good reasons. I will never use BEST for a web hosting company just because each of us have different criteria.

If I remember they had a pretty good offer for ABW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I picked them:
    1-Because they have their own forum at ABestWeb
    2-Their AM will not let you down

It's already two good reasons. I will never use BEST for a web hosting company just because each of us have different criteria.

If I remember they had a pretty good offer for ABW.
    Thats exactly why I would pick them if I were to change hosting plans.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/rowdyjrt]Rowdy Jack Russell Terrier[/URL]

OK. All good reasons I suppose. Not trying to be difficult.

The criteria I would have been looking at when selecting a host would be things like technical support, architecture, scripting languages they support, redundancy, forum support, which networks are they connected to, where is their data center, reseller abilities, etc. Price is one of my last criterion.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Don't overlook the fact that you can host multi-domains with one hosting package with FastNext. With their starter plan, you can host only one domain but can do 10 add-on domains. With their special and unlimited packages you can host 20 domains and unlimited domains respectively. In both of these packages, you can have unlimited add-on domains. Their domain fee is only $9.95/year. On the special and unlimited pages, you get a free domain name.

Gene
    TCS

Thank you for pointing out the main host's advantage, Gene!!

By the way, their data center is in New Jersey (important thing to remember while ordering hosting from a UK company).

Geno

thecool,

Ahhh.. Now I am seeing some benefit.

I poked around their site but I could not find the answer to this ; can I have one 'account' with them yet do Windows and Linux reselling? Or would I have to sign up as two customers?

Patrick
    ---
    ---

I'm not knocking FastNext, but I really do hate to see the direction the hosting industry in general is taking these days, with the outrageous amounts of space and bandwidth offered. It must make it tough for hosting providers who don't offer Terabytes of transfer or 100+ Gigabytes of disk-space for the low, low price of........
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    http://bestwebhosting2007.com/index.html

I used to recommend bluehost but they would raise their rate every year after you sign up with them.
    yr 1 - 6.96/mo
    yr 2 - 7.95/mo

Steele,

You do realize most of this is overselling don't you?

P
    ---
    ---

windows + sql server = Alentus.com

Linux Mysql = westhost.com

Steele,

You do realize most of this is overselling don't you?

P
    Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Eric you do realize that most ranking lists like the one you posted are driven by affiliate commissions right? The best information and "real" reviews on web hosts you will find on forums like ABW, or www.webhostingtalk.com.

If $$ is not an object as you note, then rackspace comes highly recommended by *lots* of folks (I keep hoping I get to the point where I can use them!!). But N.B. that their basic packages start around $500-600 a month. If you are looking more basic shared options, I've had good exp. w/hostmonster, bluehost, and ipower -- and with affiliate commissions you can more/less get one year free. For dedicated, I've recently had a pretty good (B+) experience w/superservers.com

OTProf

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by felit0
    Eric you do realize that most ranking lists like the one you posted are driven by affiliate commissions right? The best information and "real" reviews on web hosts you will find on forums like ABW, or www.webhostingtalk.com.
    That will give you a good side by side comparison and yes, they are affiliate commission driven. Thanks for the link to webhostingtalk as tht was really useful

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Two I like:
    Hostasaurus great team when it comes to shopping cart support and implementation.
    WebIntellects awesome toolset with quite a few bells and whistles.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

ABW Ambassador
    Besides price, their tech support team are very helpful and freindly. I've used their free hosting for a while. Whenever I had a question, I called them, although they suggest it is better to submit support tickets (the answer time of support tickets is fairly fast as I can recall). They were always there picking up the phones and help me solve the problems.

I have a hosting plan with yahoo($11.95/month), another with IPowerweb(7.95/month). Like most others here, my first thought about fastnext is: their prices are so cheap, are they good? That's why I decided to try on their free hosting promotion.

Now, I think I will switch all my sites to Fastnext.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov

By the way, their data center is in New Jersey (important thing to remember while ordering hosting from a UK company).

Geno
    Thanks Geno for pointing that out. I've worried a little bit about that. I guess that's my last concern before final switch.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    I'm not knocking FastNext, but I really do hate to see the direction the hosting industry in general is taking these days, with the outrageous amounts of space and bandwidth offered. It must make it tough for hosting providers who don't offer Terabytes of transfer or 100+ Gigabytes of disk-space for the low, low price of........

Another member mentioned about the "overselling" issue on other thread too. I wish Serge at Fastnext will read this thread and say something about it.

I'd like to hear something about overselling and also whether or not sites are hosted on a physical server or on a VPS. I just found out today that my hosting company is using a VPS for where the IIS is running that I am using. I am not happy about that and now I am in the shopping kind of mood.

I wish I wish I wish that HTTPme would get into the Windows Game. They are kings when it comes to linux reselling service. I need their type of service and dedication but on the Windows platform.
    ---
    ---

Affiliate Manager
    It is common practice for resellers or small hosts to speculate about overselling. By doing that they want to make others feel like they donít oversell or their services is better. There are a lot of such threads at WHT.
    The truth is the whole telecommunication business is built around overselling.

1. Shared hosting.
    The word ďsharedĒ itself means that there is something (webspace, CPU, bandwdith) that is shared between users on the server and is not 100% dedicated to one customer (oversold). Customers have wildly varying usage levels. Some need a lot of mailboxes, others utilize a lot of CPU or bandwidth. Some may need a lot of webspace just to keep backups and may even never need to download their files utilizing almost 0 bandwidth, etc. Overselling allows a group of customers to utilize a server in most cost-effective way. Customers should not pay for the resources they donít use and not be afraid that they need to pay more when their usage pattern changes in future.

2. Dedicated servers.
    Many think that there is no overselling in this case. But the whole dedicated server model is built around bandwidth overselling. Otherwise it would not be possible to sell servers with 1000-2000GB of bandwidth for $99/mo. And it is quite ok because some people need dedicated servers for CPU-intensive operation or want just to see more safe having dedicated box when others utilize more bandwidth.

3. Colo.
    Datacenters also oversell. They oversell their infrastructure. When we purchase a 42U it doesnít mean that we can fill it with equipment completely in any case. Datacenter is designed to deliver a limited amount of power and cooling capabilities for the given rack. For example we cannot exceed 60A of power for a single rack. I can fill the rack with 42 Celerons in 2U cases utilizing ~38A or just 8 Opterons reaching the power limit.
    Datacenters also oversell bandwidth. Having 10 Gbit connection datacenter can sell 20 1Gbit ports to their customers, etc.

I just want to demonstrate that it is not fair to tell that some hosts oversell and others donít oversell when the whole industry is built around overselling. And in case someone tells they donít oversell shared hosting servers the datacenter they get their servers from oversells, power, pipes and cooling systems.

There is nothing bad with overselling. There are a lot of business models even in real world that is built around overselling. Basically most of the businesses that sell membership or subscription are built using overselling model and the fact that their customers has different usage patters and all customers will never use all the features to the max. For example when you purchase yearly gym membership, potentially you can live there 24x7x365. But nobody will. Some people will visit gym once a week, some 3 times a week, etc. Some are more comfortable to come to gym in the morning when other in the evening, etc.

Another example is a simple bathroom. Nobody think that is reasonable to have 1 bathroom per family member in the middle-class family of 3-5 renting 2-3 bedroom apartment. Moreover nobody think to have a bathroom for each potential guest they may have. Yo may have a party for 20-30 friends but having 30 bathrooms in 3 bedroom apartment is a stupid idea. So most of the people in the world have their bathrooms oversold

There is a Law of Large Numbers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers and it is quite well that in this world anything that can happen, DOESNíT HAPPEN.

But there is the only caution. When you use overselling model donít abuse it. Having 2 bathrooms at home you are ok inviting 10-20 friends for the small party but youíll be an idiot to invite 100 when Hugh Hefner has no problem with it

Of course, we do actually do have people who use their full 300GB, and actually do use the TB of bandwidth, all for just $8.95/month. And we actually do lose a crapload of money on these people! But we only lose it on these people. And there are very few of them. And, as a bonus, they love us. And they refer their friends. Who, on average, donít use their full 300GB.

The only difference from other hosts that we use to store hosting accounts on large RAID1+0 arrays rather than utilize standalone HDDs. RAID array can have terabytes of fault tolerant storage and has much better I/O than single HDD. We use RAID arrays that consist of 8-24 hdds and has 2-5 terabytes of storage.

Thatís why we able to put 100,200,300Gb shared plans when most of our competitors cannot because their servers has 200+300Gb hdds or slow RAID5 arrays in better case.

patrick24601
    We own our servers and are using Dual Opteron 248 or better servers with 64 bit OSes and RIS1+0 storage arrays tuned for performance.

We sell VPS servers ourselves, but don't use virtuozzo on our shared servers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast