Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get your opinions on this:

If a site sells products with a full product write up for each one, what's the best way to position/write the 'buy here' link?

Currently I'm using a link just under the title of the product and just at the end of the write up.

The 'button' typically says something like: "Only $100 at Amazon!" as I think warning people of what will happen is a good thing.

I'd like to know what you think of the factors involved in my own strategy and, more importantly, what works for you?

Many thanks

Nick

Come on guys and girls, I don't beleive for a moment that you don't have something interesting to say on this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nick

Click Here!

Buy now!

or ....

Click here to buy now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Haiko

....oh dear.. Friday night is it?

Well, I'm on the wagon so I'm all horribly beerless [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Nick

ABW Ambassador
    Nick I think you are right on the button with letting the customer know that the sale will take place on another site.

Especially considering that many folks are security-shy about using credit cards in unfamiliar territory, letting them know that they are actually buying from Amazon or some other established entity may increase your chances of converting the sale.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick W:
    ....oh dear.. Friday night is it?

Well, I'm on the wagon so I'm all horribly beerless [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Nick
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you should say that. They just did a piece on CNBC about the fact that you can buy a share of Sun Microsystems for less than the cost of a beer at Yankee Stadium.

{

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's a wonderful and bright idea to say from who, .....but isn't it going to be a lot of work keeping up with the prices of products, which change ........

Perhaps Buy from Amazon......

or Get more info from Amazon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eaglefire:

Funny you should say that. They just did a piece on CNBC about the fact that you can buy a share of Sun Microsystems for less than the cost of a beer at Yankee Stadium.

{
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But who can afford the beer at Yankee Stadium?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    CLICK HERE!

The two most beautiful words on a site. They *ring*...with the sound of cash registers!

The next most beautiful words are MerchantName. When a whole page is devoted to promoting the products of Merchant.com, a link that says MerchantName is only logical. I think some people are actually *looking for* a link to MerchantName--after all, it's the place the affiliate site has just spent 3 or more paragraphs raving about! It just stands to reason that there's going to be a link to this Great Place...

Plus MerchantName converts almost as well as Click Here.

And I don't use a "button" 99.99999% of the time. It's a text link for me.

A financially significant amount of viewers on a site will do what you tell 'em to.

Therefore I tell 'em exactly what I want them to do:

"Click here to go to MerchantX and get your ProductX!" or variants thereof. (Only have one of those as the actual link--either Click Here, OR MerchantX--or it'll be overdone.)

That goes at the end of the spin, and, depending on the type of product, I may put it in the center, too.

Oh, also I put a link right in the first line of a write-up. Might as well catch those with amoebic attention spans who don't want to bother to read the ad spin! That link is worked right into the flow of the ad spin, as opposed to being set off with "Click Here" or other especially-promotional words.

So there's some kind of a link at the top, center, and bottom--3 links. Usually a banner at the top, and some kind of graphic ad (box, banner, product image) may go in the center as well if there's a lot of text to break up.

That's it for now, I'm smoking my last cigarette of the pack so I'll have to (shudder) go out (/shudder) and get some more.

PS Your theory about letting them know what will happen is sound, although I do it differently...(I figure "click here to get ProductName/Type" or similar verbiage is a fairly obvious hint that a store is on the other side of the link!)

Leader,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The two most beautiful words on a site. They *ring*...with the sound of cash registers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and when it is a CJ merchant .... click here [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Haiko

Cheers leader,

I don't use a button either really, well, I guess I kinda do... I use a form that's styled with nice pretty colors and borders.

I think that a text link in te first few lines of text may work against you: As you're no doubt aware, users are monumentally stupid and often very 'click happy'. I think you may be in danger of having them click and not come back before you've given them the speel....

'Buy now at xyz.com!' however will/should not be clicked unless they intend to buy.

However
    It may well be a turn off to be so 'in ya face' at the beggining of the pack of lies (Ooops, I mean promo copy!) But, if you don't have the link at the top you'll miss the 'attention span of a puppy' visitors...

Tough one eh?

Nick

to buy now or for more information, click here.

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: Internet_Guru ]

I like to use a script called the mouse magnet. Basically it disables the mousepointer on the users machine and holds it over whatever link I want the user to click on. The only way to enable the mouse again is to click it.

Okay I just lied I don't have such a script [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] but what an idea! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Blast you, Heyder, I was about to write this scathing message about user-friendly and usability and customer control... and you're joking.

Ya got me.

I have changed the "Buy" buttons to: "Go to the secure Vendor" with limited results.

I thought it would tell the reader my page is not the vendor and their transaction would be safe.

But it hasn't helped numbers much. Maybe a little bit.

I think next I'll try Leader's idea with my twist:" Click Here to Buy the XXX from a Secure Vendor"

Big button!

Doc

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    On all CJ product link "buy" buttons I change the HTML coded message to "CLICK HERE for details or purchase" Makes action button larger. I only highlight product links where I'm showcasing the merchant so shoppers know who they are buying from...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hyder said: "I like to use a script called the mouse magnet. Basically it disables the mousepointer on the users machine and holds it over whatever link I want the user to click on. The only way to enable the mouse again is to click it."

Wow another parasite tool set. You can bet the scum at Comet Curser are working on it as a freebee download and will patent the technology as the MOUSETRAP if ValueClick or DoubleClick don't beat them to the punch.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm trying "more info" in place of "buy" or "click here". The jury is still out. But my theory is to coddle those with "committment issues." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] In other words, if I haven't completely made the sale, but they are considering it... "more info" might be something they are willing to do rather than "buy."

(especially since I don't mention price on my pages.)

my an opinion.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    I like to use a script called the mouse magnet. Basically it disables the mousepointer on the users machine and holds it over whatever link I want the user to click on. The only way to enable the mouse again is to click it.

Okay I just lied I don't have such a script [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] but what an idea! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually there is such a thing. I've seen it. The only way to get off that page is to three finger salute and close that window. I don't use it and I don't know the source, but they pop up a frameless window with even the X on the top gone and then there is only the "button" they want you to click.

I don't know where to get it, but I have seen the effect on a site.. (which I HATE by the way.... )

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Doc, IMO the clinker's in that "secure vendor" part. It's a turnoff. It'll still be a turnoff even with the new wording. Probably because it sounds too corporate/governmental! "Vendors" are faceless, bland corporate entities whose employees come boredly in through the service door to do their jobs...

Use some "friendlier" term for vendor, like "site" or "store"! People should feel at ease, not like they're dealing with some cold bureaucracy.

And mentioning "secure" on the action button instead of in nearby text is a bit off, too. But not so much as "vendor"...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AffJus:
    Actually there is such a thing. I've seen it. The only way to get off that page is to three finger salute and close that window. I don't use it and I don't know the source, but they pop up a frameless window with even the X on the top gone and then there is only the "button" they want you to click. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The big problem with three finger is it often closes the main window too. If Alt-F4 doesn't close the problem window "thing", the Closeiex IE addon I recently mentioned has so far not failed to close anything (including that thing with just the OK button).
    http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...&f=32&t=000344

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: jaybat ]

Personally, I like to go for "All for only ......."

Its a bit of work keeps the prices up to date, but i absolutely hate it when i cant find a price for something im interested in buying.

I'm always hesitant to make a post on this subject because I'm doing something contrary to what everybody does, i.e., no Buy button, no Click Here, no More Information, no fancy ad copy.

I never used Buy button because I don't list pricing. Who would click on a Buy button without knowing the price? I wouldn't.

I can't possibly insert Click Here or More Information for everything on a page without being too tacky, so forget it.

Supposedly I should write some ad copies, but I'm not at all good at it, so I might as well skip this part and just put a plain old description with enough information to get people interested, yet they need to click on the links to know more. Does it hurt? Not that I can see, the number of click thrus to merchants are still higher than my unique visitors consistently.

Yes, my approach is less aggressive, and is in fact kinda passive to an extent. Whether or not this is a good business approach is debatable. My average conversion rate is not great, but standing at 1:125, and 40% of the sales are hi-ticket items. So, I can't complain.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast