Affiliate Manager
    Does links from affiliates treated as inbound links
    Hi
    I want to know if the links sent by affiliate website are treated as the websited sending inbound link by search engines like google or any other search engine. And also will it increase the popularity?

ABW Ambassador
    For most affiliate links thru networks, no. There are some networks like LinkConnecter I believe and some inhouse software where it does.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    It will not help link popularity.

Nilima,

(anybody feel free to correct me)
    The reason it is not treated as an inbound link is because the affiliate site does not (or very rarely) links to the vendor site. The affiliate links to an interim site that does the tracking. The interim site then forwards to the user over. So affiliatesite.com links to trackingsite.com, not to vendorsite.com. One the lead to gets to trackingsite.com they are then forwarded to vendorsite.com.

But it would be nice if it did count

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

ABW Ambassador
    Done certain ways they possibly can, but to mix up developing sales via the affiliate channel with SEO efforts isn't viable and is a big mistake. They're two different things entirely; and to make money through an affiliate program takes having good affiliates who send quality targeted traffic. Many (if not MOST) affiliates with experience and/or savvy do not want to give free SEO services away to merchants.

Here are a couple of discussions at two different SEO forums where this very thing is discussed. Keep in mind that most all of the dialog is between merchants who want link pop for themselves and people who are SEOs and or experienced SEO/affiliate marketers who would *maybe* give them linkpop when h*ll freezes over.

sugarrae:
    ...They think you're climbing on their back to use their backlinks to propel your own site to the top of the engines, above theirs. Smart affiliates will simply place the links on their own site in a way that circumvents any PR benefit you would gain even with the 301s in place. Spiteful affililiates may shop around for a new affiliate program. Your top affiliates may do either... and believe me, with a screenshot of their sales records with your program, they'll have more than enough to get a better deal somewhere else.

I'm a long time affiliate and I'd can you in a heartbeat for doing it to me and get with your biggest competitor. And if you were the only game in town? I'd simply make sure *I* passed you no value (and continue to look for your competition).
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/link_d...82960-1-30.htm

Drastic's post here says it all - #10

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...8&postcount=10

Nilima, just work on your program here at ABW and read and learn a lot, do it the right way, and play it straight. You've got a LOT of strong competition in this vertical already.

As a side issue, your site needs a lot more than just linkpop for getting rankings, so you'd be jeopardizing one thing to go after another that needs plenty of effort as a separate endeavor to begin with. The best thing you could do all around is study up on conversion for the site and work on that, for everyone's benefit.
    Last edited by webworker; January 7th, 2007 at 10:14 PM.

Some solutions will allow links that don't have an obvious affiliate id in them. Others use what are called "naked links" - but these are for referring sites and not other media like email or offline published links.

Cheers,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by asr_guy
    Some solutions will allow links that don't have an obvious affiliate id in them. Others use what are called "naked links" - but these are for referring sites and not other media like email or offline published links.
    Ummm.. by any chance, do you happen to remember the heated conversations that went on about those? They went over like a lead balloon. The concept was indefensible as being viable (or ethical) from an affiliate marketers point of view, and the negative opinions were very strongly stated and explained by some folks with a lot of savvy and experience - to put it mildly.

How long has it been since they were seen or heard of around here?

No idea.

Asking affiliate and merchants to comment on how search engines treat affiliate links is barking up the wrong tree and just ends up in an inconclusive debate since no one really knows for sure.

I suspect affiliate links are treated as neutral by the SE's.

The main downside of having long ugly affiliate links:
    - is that some affs will insert their own id's if the merchant allows commission crediting on sales back to a customer who is also an affiliate
    - people see them and don't take your recommendation as seriously vs a naked or simple link like www.yoursite.com/recommends/blat <-- on this I've see actual stats to prove it.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Last edited by asr_guy; January 12th, 2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: asking...
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread