Arrow Pre Launch - Comission Junction or Linkshare
    Hi,
    We are in pre-launch mode and are trying to decide if to go with CJ or Linkshare. Prior to signing with them I wanted to hear your opinions as affiliates.

Do you have any preference for CJ or LinkShare? Or maybe it does not make a difference as long as you trust the program/merchant itself?

thanks

You need to Add Share-A-Sale to the list of choices. I think you'd be amazed at how all the votes come out if you do.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Nope, it is all about trusting the networks too. Most affiliates here will prefer Shareasale over the two you named. Shareasale is a great place for an affiliate program and is run by people who will keep you from being a victim to unscrupulous affiliates.

If you MUST select between CJ and LS, I suggest CJ.

15 years and counting
    "Do you have any preference for CJ or LinkShare?"
    The only preference we have is Shareasale. For many reasons. One of them being their stance against parasites.
    "Or maybe it does not make a difference as long as you trust the program/merchant itself?"
    What's important is the relation Affiliate/Merchant and it includes trust.
    Welcome,
    Tell us more about your program and the board will help you to launch a successful program.

ABW Ambassador
    I've got good merchants on both so you're right it's more the merchant or program regardless of where they're at. Between the 2, I would say CJ.

On a side note, less "we" and people speaking for everybody else.

Tax Paying Member
    ......My first choice would be Sharasale.

If I had to pick between CJ and Linkshare ...........Then I vote for Linkshare.

My opinion and my opinion alone...
    Last edited by Witzer; January 8th, 2007 at 03:56 PM.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

As an affiliate I perfer CJ over LinkShare... But you should also consider Shareasale.

ABW Ambassador
    Trust is correct.

I prefer ShareASale.com over CJ or LinkShare. If ShareASale isn't an option, I would need to know more details to make a recommendation. CJ and LinkShare each have their pros and cons, and your specific details makes a big difference.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Don't use CJ or LS
    "groupSPARK" wrote: "We are in pre-launch mode and are trying to decide [whether] to go with CJ or Linkshare. Prior to signing with them I wanted to hear your opinions as affiliates. / Do you have any preference for CJ or LinkShare? Or maybe it does not make a difference as long as you trust the program/merchant itself?"

While "trusting the merchant" is certainly an essential component, the "affiliate solution provider" or "affiliate network" you choose will have a serious impact.

I've worked as a consultant helping merchants launch affiliate programs since late 1997, and I've had clients who've worked with "the big affiliate networks" as well as clients who've implemented "in-house" affiliate solutions.

My advice: don't use LinkShare or Commission Junction, period. I don't believe that either firm provides benefits worth the costs they charge, and each creates obstacles to effective affiliate relationships. If you do elect to work with either firm, read the contract (including anything "incorporated by reference") carefully! If the contract or terms aren't clear or don't reflect your understanding of your relationship with the company, get the language changed, because they will hold you to the agreement once you've signed it.

There are affiliates (me included) who simply refuse to do business with merchants whose affiliate programs are administered through CJ or LS. Some affiliates will do business with one, but not the other. I believe there may be some successful affiliates who work exclusively with LS or with CJ -- I know that many unsuccessful affiliates stick with just one affiliate network (whether it's CJ, LS, SAS, or one of a half-dozen others). Many (probably most) successful affiliates work with multiple merchants who use several different affliate solution providers.

A suggestion: identify your top 10 or 20 "affiliate prospects," and call and talk with them before you sign any contract. If you sell widgets and WidgetReviews.com is the #1 site in that field, then you'll want to know if they will work with you if you choose LS or CJ or whomever.

I recently launched a client's new affiliate program through ShareASale and I've been quite happy with the relationship. I've heard some good things about some other firms, but I don't yet have direct experience with them.

As an affiliate, most of my earnings come from merchants with in-house programs, plus one merchant who uses the MyAP (Kowabunga) solution. I also earn $500 per month from a ShareASale merchant (not my consulting client).

You should also consider using "multiple channels" for your affiliate program -- perhaps an in-house solution for some key affiliates, and a program through an affiliate network for others. (I don't think LinkShare permits this "multi-channel" approach, but I believe CJ might allow it if you demand it in your contract.)
    Last edited by markwelch; January 9th, 2007 at 04:13 AM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    CJ

I've split out the the Affiliate Network vs. CPA Network discussion.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    I dont know which i prefer. We just signed up with Shareasale within the past week. Fees werent too crazy and service has been fine so far.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    CJ and LinkShare each have their pros and cons, and your specific details makes a big difference.
    well said.

In laymen's terms - it's like comparing a toyota to a honda.

SaS

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I have not worked with any merchant yet that has given us a good, good reason why shareasale.com is not an option. Would be great if a merchants could reply why shareasale.com is never an option.

Most often I hear it's because competitors are over there. Sometimes this is true, but still not really a good reason, as competitors are on the search results, meaning it's how a merchant promotes, markets their store to beat the competiton and facilitates all they can via managers then to affiliates.

Shareasale are providing an excellent service, strongly recommended.

Outsourced Program Manager paladin's Avatar
    "Would be great if a merchants could reply why shareasale.com is never an option"
    I think it is often a matter of perception. In 1 of my former jobs, one of the services we offered was an OPM solution for our clients. From a sales perspective it is eassier to justify a higher fee with CJ or LS then with SAS due to the setp and monthly fees they carry.

Affiliate Manager
    ShareASale is of course an option. Their startup fees and transactional fees are relatively low so its not overly prohibitive to get started. Ive havent had any major problems with ShareASale, just know that they arent going to push your program, you are going to have to do that yourself.

Are you coming in as an affiliate or a merchant? I can't answer from the merchant side, but I can answer STRONGLY from the affiliate side - do NOT go with LinkShare unless you really love having a company hold on to your money "until their merchants pay up". What a joke!

CJ pays every month on about the 20th whether merchants have paid them or not... I always get my checks. And statistics are updated on the hour, whereas LS is only nightly.

In fact, on the top of my TODO list for this week is to remove my LS links and switch them over to CJ and SAS.

I would also have to agree, share-a-sale. From an affiliate standpoint, they are way more connected to affiliates ( communication wise) than the other two networks you mentioned.

Affiliate Summit 2007 West's Affiliate Marketing Advocate Award: Brian Littleton

Brian owns Shareasale, nuff said.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager
    I have recently gone through a similar analysis for our program...We were running a program at SAS but the affiliate flow was very limited and SAS was not very helpful in trying to identify the issues as we are trying to move the program forward. I therefore initiated discussions with all of the major networks and came to the conclusion that unless you have a huge brand with a lot of weight behind it, the two big networks are not for you (CJ and Linkshare) I engaged MyAp (Kolimbo) and have launched a second program there...we just launch, but have been very happy with the service so far.

Ryan

<- Off Topic Response ->
    Ryan,

You program really shouldn't be on CJ or LS, If you asked me my opinion I'd recommend Affiliate Fuel strictly because of the mindset of the affs and your offering. I seriously doubt Myap (K!) will do anything worth wile, not to mention all the bad press about Think Partnership.

<- End Off Topic Response ->
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager
    Haiko,

Thanks for the info...I tried to PM you, but appearantly don't have enough posts to do so...can you PM me so we can discuss your thoughts on Affiliate Fuel

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread