New to Affiliate Marketing - How did you learn?
    Hello everyone,

This is my first attempt at affiliate marketing and I must say... it is somewhat intimidating.

If I may ask, how did you learn to promote, and what resources are available to a newbie just coming into the affiliate arena?

Many thanks and much success!
    Ronnie

Read, and then Read some more. these forums are a great place to learn I can also recommend http://www.associateprograms.com/ as there are lots of articles. You may not understand all the jargon at first but you can ask questions and the more you read the quicker you'll get you head around the concepts

Thanks, restless!

I'll do just that. I have heard of the associateprograms link before, but had forgotten about it until now.

Much appreciation!

All the best,
    Ronnie

I also started at associateprograms.com/ and also by downloading the free Super Affiliate Handbook. Then I found this site and have never left! I have learned a lot here. Take full advantage of the "search" feature!

Best Wishes!
    Mel

Thanks a million, Mel!

I'll check out the Super Affiliate Handbook and will also be checking out posts here on the forum.

I appreciate your kind reply!

All the best,
    Ronnie

No problem Ronnie! I have been here for a while, and I'm always learning. Right now I feel like I'm having to backtrack quite a bit. As a newbie, I just tried to do way too much...way too fast. There are a lot of common mistakes you will learn about here on the board!

CPA Network Rep
    I would say as someone new find stuff that interests you to market, then act as a consumer who would be looking for that product or service and take notice to the ads you see as you search for it, and ask yourself why are they doing it this way, if something appeals to you try to model your marketing with appealed to you weaved in to your plan.

Before you buy any traffic you should read read and read again how others are buying traffic and pay attention to everything you read and sift through what makes sense for you and apply it. For example if you plan to use adwords youll want to know a lot about how google works, for example quality score plays a major role in how much you pay per click, so does the quality of your ad and the CTR (Click through rate).

You are going to lose money at the start its a given, but think of it this way, how much did you spend to get an education at a university and compare it to what you spend getting your affiliate marketing education and weigh out the amount of risk you're willing to take.

I hope some of that helps.

Mike

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    The biggest thing I learned in my first year of affiliate marketing is ... it's all driven by keywords and the search engines.

Learn as much as you can about how keywords and search phrases work and you will have the basis for all SEO, PPC, and site optimization understanding.

Also think through the online buying cycle as it applies to keywords. The search phrases people use tell you where they are in the buying cycle and that points to what landing page they should go to. High conversion will be directly related to how well you move people forward in the buying cycle.

We have some educational information on our site if you'd like to go and learn a bit about the basics of affiliate marketing. Go here to take a look.

By the way the best place to learn the advanced stuff is right here at ABW.

Good luck...

Internet Cowboy
    Ronnie,
    Find something you know about and have some passion about then run with it. Write content that is useful to your shoppers. Stay away from freebies, software downloads and any offer that seems too good to be true. Find a product line you want to push and research the merchants who sell those products here at ABW.
    Don't ever pay a penny for someone to tell you how to make money as an affiliate, never pay to join an affiliate program and be very careful whose advice you take here at ABW or elsewhere. This board is full of wonderful information, but just as is at any other public forum, there is lots of noise.
    Best of luck and welcome to ABW

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ronnie - I think a key is to welcome the reality going in that you will ALWAYS be learning. In the past year I have learned so much that I never knew before. From here, from other sources, both online and off.

If you are mature enough to realize that as long as you have an open mind, you can always learn more - then I think you have a head start. An old mentor of mine once advised me: "be dumb enough to listen." I immediately recognized what he was saying, but many I have met in my lifetime fail to see the beauty of that advice.

If you are too smart to listen, you cannot learn and grow. If you are dumb enough to listen, you will learn. Listening IS perhaps the biggest key to learning, and learning is a huge part of succeeding.

Be patient, stay persistent, read, listen, research and apply what you are learning a step at a time. Welcome trial and error - learn from the errors and keep moving forward. Also, as Scooter said, find something that is a passion for you and start there. If you love what you do, and you do what you love the rest will be there and you will enjoy finding it. Best of wishes to you.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    ...Listening IS perhaps the biggest key to learning, and learning is a huge part of succeeding.
    Well-said, Alan.

Add hard work to it, and you'll get the complete bouquet...

BTW, welcome to ABW, Ronnie!

Geno

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread