What is a link back affiliate
    Got an email from a merchant offering to bump my commission if I first put a direct link to them on my home pages. Does this mean a non referral id? This is what they sent; I removed only the merchants name. Does this mean they want us to link to them on our home page with a non referral link and only pay us when we generate a sale through a referral link?

"In order to bump your commission level to 25%, you will need to become
    a Link-Back Affiliate.

This simply means that you will need to add a DIRECT link to our web
    site from somewhere on the Home Page of the web site(s) from which you
    generate your ShareASale transactions.

The HTML will look like this:

href=" Merchant's website url with no sas id./">Merchants Name "

The link doesn't need to be large or even extremely prominent, but it
    does need to be visible and easily readable.

Once you've added the link, you will need to email us to review and
    approve the linkage. Upon approval, we will immediately raise your
    commission level to 25% on all of our ShareASale transactions you generate
    from your Link-Back web site."
    Last edited by mellie; January 8th, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

ABW Ambassador
    "Does this mean a non referral id?"

Yep.

LOL I kept telling myself I was missing something. I think I'll pass.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Looks like the merchant is trying to raise his own pagerank while trying to get around paying affiliates. I got the email also.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    UNBELIEVABLE!! Would you please name the merchant so that SAS can address this? I'm sure that if you received that email, other affiliates did as well, so you won't be compromising your anonymity if the merchant reads your post.

Seriously crossing the line, I'm sure Brian would want to know about this activity.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I also recieved the email

if its not against the TOS, it would benefit us if you could post the merchant.

nice find.

I'm sending Brian the info. Now time to get the kids to bed.
    Last edited by mellie; January 8th, 2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey All,

I spoke to the merchant prior to them sending the email/offer...

I informed them that I didn't think the offer would get that much traction since it involves their own internal page rank effort, and typically affiliates aren't interested in that since affiliate businesses are about generating revenue from their traffic, etc...

At its core though, while I'm not a huge fan... there isn't really anything wrong with the idea. The merchant is offering a bump in commission on their program in exchange for one link ... I am familiar with a few merchants and affiliates both who use similar linking for mutually beneficial page rank increase efforts.

I don't think much of the policy in that I don't think it works (as I mentioned earlier...a majority of affiliates aren't interested in direct linking), but it is also entirely at the affiliate's option... We can't stop or dictate what links an affiliate puts on their website - that is your option and if you wish to direct link with any merchant obviously that is at your discretion.

Thanks to everyone who sent me emails about this...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    unless they have an INDY, then that would catch somebody's attention. If not, affiliates are not very likely to put up a link

Just re-read the TOU for merchants at Shareasale, and as Brian had mentioned, there's not even vaguely a mention of this being prohibited.

So, my affiliate friends, this is one of those examples where you have the power. If you don't like it, take 'em off your site.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thanks Brian, just wanted to make sure you were in the loop.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Mellie

You didn't print the whole email

Besides the free link - which he says doesn't have to be big - the final paragraph says it has to be on ALL your websites... and... on the home page... and... he has to approve it (which means it DOES have to be big!!)

Important Note: If you have multiple web sites from which you initiate our ShareASale links, you will need to include our direct link on each of their Home Pages in order to receive the 25% commission for transactions referred by each site.

Thatís all there is to it!

We think this is a win-win program for all of us and hope that you will give serious consideration to becoming a Link-Back Affiliate!

15 years and counting
    Is a merchant thinking more about the SEO of his own site than his revenue sharing program worth promoting?
    This guy just don't understand what's affiliate marketing. Send him to Andy Rodriguez course and/or buy him Geno's book. One day or another it will get worse.
    It's not in the best interest of the affiliates community to boost merchants ranks in SE.
    He wants a link. CHARGE HIM for the link on top of the increase in commission or better say: no.
    No free lunch. Cheap bastard.

Guess I should have included that too. I should not have tried to squeeze it in at kids bedtime.

That part bothered me too - direct link approved by them, home page...

I took the every site part to mean you'd get 25% on sites where you have a direct link on homepage and if you didn't have one on a specific site that generated a sale you get the regular commission. Don't see the sense of paying one affiliate 2 different commissions depending on which of their sites gets the sale.

A mass email to all your affiliates asking for a direct link is not smart, makes you sound very desperate.

A possible extra couple of dollars won't do it.

Never been a good merchant for me, I pulled most of their links a while back because of something else I'll keep to myself. Soon as I'm sure I've got all the links down I'll drop them.

I am trying to rush and get this in before getting kids up for school & today I do my tutoring
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sound more like an exit strategy then anything else.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Sound more like an exit strategy then anything else.
    That's a very good point....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I can see a few situations where that might be advantageous to an affiliate. For instance, consider an affiliate who gets virtually all of their traffic to subpages within their site (probably due to SEO and/or PPC) and very little to their home page. If the 25% commission is significantly higher than their normal commission and the commissions of their competitors, I would gladly give a low-volume, inconspicuous homepage link in exchange for a significant commission increase.

I agree with Brian, though. Very few affiliates are going to bite and overall it will not be effective. I do think it's reasonable to require that the merchant be very clear that the link would not generate commissions. Some affiliates will not realize that the link doesn't track, especially if the email is sent through the affiliate program.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I just can't see how this will work for SEO...I mean, the anchor text they've chosen is their name! I guess if they aren't ranking highly for brand searches then maybe, but if it were me, and I were trying this ill-conceived strategy, I'd at least have the link read:

-a href=merchant url-A keyword I want to rank highly for-/a-

Right???
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

MINDsprinter, I was thinking the same thing.
    Also, if they just want to build their pagerank like that, they could do an independent affiliate program, like the ones that are http;//www.site.com?kbid=2222. then any link boosts their pagerank.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread