What would you like in a host?
    From earlier threads, I understand that people might be interested in an enhanced shared hosting package - that is, where you could run AE or other scripts without getting kicked off for using too much server (which happened to me more than once), but without paying the bigger bucks for a dedicated server.

I'm working on offering a hosting package like this, and I'd like to gauge interest. The cost would be higher than regular shared hosting, but cheaper than a dedicated server. You wouldn't have the firepower of your own dedicated server, but you'd also never get the plug pulled on you as you might in shared hosting.

Thanks for your opinions. If you prefer to respond privately, feel free to email me.

Free add-on domains
    It seems like I get a new web site idea about every other week, and with domain registrations being so affordable I just go ahead and snatch them up (I have a growing list of back-burner domains now that I'll get to eventually).

All that to say that I would want a host that lets me add-on domains to my existing account free of charge. Hostmonster is the only host I'm aware of that does that right now, but that may just mean I need to get out more

I used to use Lunarpage exclusively, but they weren't able to match the free add-on domains, which saves me a lot of money.

I use a dedicated server for this reason (among others); the cost of a new domain is pretty small, and it's easy to justify when you have your own machine.

Which leads me to broaden my question; for those who use or want to use a dedicated server, what would you like to see offered? For instance, do you want a server to be managed and supported, or do you prefer to do-it-yourself?

Or, going down the other end of the scale, what do you look for in an inexpensive shared host (under $10/month)?

Thanks.

Everything is so much easier with a dedicated server. I pay about $200/mth for one from ev1servers.net. The advantage is that you can set up your websites exactly the way you want. I have one site that pays for the server by itself and the rest are gravy. All of my sites use ae.pl and/or other Cusimano scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    What would you like in a host?
    Redundant Layer-4 load balancers with automatic failover.

I gave up on shared servers and using someone else's dedicated server and for the last year have had two Windows servers running Apache and my several domains. Works fine - DSL from QWest as been very reliable and fast and you can't beat the price of a couple of NewEgg brand X servers.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread