ABW Ambassador
    West Coast USA
    "Prozac Nation"
    THEY are the new "Prozac Nation": cats, dogs, birds, horses and an assortment of zoo animals whose behavior has been changed, whose anxieties and fears have been quelled and whose owners' furniture has been spared by the use of antidepressants. Over the last decade, Prozac, Buspar, Amitriptyline, Clomicalm clomipromine that is marketed expressly for dogs and other drugs have been used to treat inappropriate, destructive and self-injuring behavior in animals.
    It's not a big nation yet. But "over the past five years, use has gone up quite a bit," said veterinarian Richard Martin of the Brentwood Pet Clinic in West Los Angeles. Half a decade ago, no more than 1% of his patients were on antidepressants. Now, Martin estimates that 5% of the 8,000 cats and dogs seen at the clinic are taking drugs for their behavior.

L.A. Times

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Ithaca & Park City
    that is a joke.. all it takes is an hour or two a day of socializing your pet (getting it out to run/play with other dogs or at least out of the fence or off the chain).

if people don't have that kind of time that shouldn't own a dog. one of my sensitive spots are people drugging their animals.. can you tell

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    all it takes is an hour or two a day of socializing your pet (getting it out to run/play with other dogs or at least out of the fence or off the chain).
    That assumes that your pet will play nicely with others. A wrong assumption in some cases!

Strangely enough, the nicest (to people) dog I had would insta-sic any animal that was a stranger to her (unless she wanted to have..."adult fun"). Fortunately she had no need for Prozac...when at home, she was quite content to sit and do nothing but watch her master sit and do nothing And when I realized what her reaction to other dogs was, I just made a point of picking her up when we were about to encounter any.

if people don't have that kind of time that shouldn't own a dog.
    I disagree! What people SHOULD do is get a dog that matches their personality, and that doesn't have breeding that's counter to the environment the dog'll be in. There are so many different breeds that it's possible to find one that suits any situation.

What irks me is when I hear of things like people trying to raise something like a Siberian Husky in a little apartment in obvious mismatch. Also I think some people have generally unrealistic expectations of animal behavior and can't handle it when they find that dogs and cats don't act like perfectly obedient, mindless robots.

Some people indeed shouldn't own a pet, period. But I think a lot of people could be fine enough pet owners if they just used some sense when choosing one, and educated themselves as to what behavior can be reasonably expected. And to the fact that a zero-tolerance mentality towards quirks isn't going to bring a happy outcome. If they don't want any bad behavior at all, there's always fish...

After reading the article through, I see this near the very end:
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Bain is wary of medications. "Drugs don't work that easily," she said. "And they don't work without behavior modification."
    Sounds like the drugs could be just a tactic--to get the owners to "wait for the drugs to work"--while what's really happening is that this behavior modification/training is taking effect. I would guess that the owners had been getting impatient before and abandoning training efforts before they could work, but vets/trainers realize the people will stick it out if they think that "the drug" will suddenly kick in after X weeks...

It sounds like those "diet pills" that just happen to come with an "eating plan" (where the eating plan is really a restricted-calorie diet, and is what's actually causing the weight loss).
    Last edited by Leader; January 10th, 2007 at 02:44 PM.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    New York, USA
    It's not a joke at all. I had an elderly dog with OCD. As he aged the OCD got so bad that he was making himself physically ill (checking behavior). The vet prescribed Buspar. It seemed like it was working for a while but then he went on a terrible downhill slide and I decided that his quality of life was so poor that I had him euthanized.

Animals can have emotional problems, just like people. Emotional problems are usually caused by a brain chemistry imbalance. Pharmaceuticals can sometimes offer relief. When a vet prescribes a drug like Prozac or Buspar it's just another form of medical treatment like heartworm pills or thyroid medication. Granted, medication isn't a substitute for a safe and loving home and proper training but sometimes it's the only resort.

In Razerback country.
    I think the dogs are just acting so they can get more drugs.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread