Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New SAS merchant has Leaks!
    I found a lot of leaks at the baghaus.com site. merchantID=11744

I have sent them an email, but just in case it gets lost in the shuffle or by some chance they don't care about leaks, I figured I would give an alert to others.

http://www.baghaus.com/links.htm

Accomodation (14) Antiques-&-collectibles (52)
    Apartments-&-Condominiums (30) Apparels-And-Perfumes (6)
    Arts & Culture (6) Arts-&-Craft (44)
    Beauty Tips (20) Business-and-Marketing (39)
    Business-Services (11) Cards-&-Stationary (2)
    Clothing & textiles (25) Clothing-&-Shoes (22)
    Computer (26) Cosmetics (9)
    Costume-Accessories (7) Costume-Resources (6)
    Discount-Coupons (3) Embroidery (35)
    Fashion & Styles (11) Flowers Delivery (13)
    Food-&-Beverages (15) Fragrances (5)
    Fun--Recreation (7) Gifts (44)
    Gifts-&-antiques (14) Handicraft (2)
    Health-&-Fitness (1) Holidays (15)
    Home-Business (13) Home-Decor (37)
    Jewelry (63) Kids accessories (31)
    Living & Society (0) Online Gaming (0)
    Others (3) Personal Accessories (13)
    Pets (2) Rental-Sales (0)
    Sales-Marketing (3) Shopping (25)
    Skin-lotions (12) Subscriptions (0)
    T-Shirts (12) Wedding (23)
    Wedding-Invitations (19) Womens-Health (6)

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    And they have an 800 number and they have Live Person.

Leatherette handbags for $60+? What a bargain. Not. :shudder:

Thanks for the heads-up Crocket.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    That's their reciprical links page - no problem

If a visitor is on that page, they were heading out anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    That's their reciprical links page - no problem

If a visitor is on that page, they were heading out anyway
    I can't fully agree with that, many times I visit a links section on a website before even looking at their products. I want to see what or who they are linking to. But that could just be me out of 300 billion people on this planet, I've always been the different one

So assuming there are folks like me out there, lets say I drive traffic to that site. They click on the links "first" and see the "shopping" category and see all of the "shopping" mall links. Their thinking might be they can find a better or more reasonable priced purse in one of the malls so see ya baghaus.

Loxly has driven it into me and others at CP, ANY link that takes the shopper away from the site is a leak.

I agree with Crocket and Billy I'm very surprised to hear you say that a reciprocal links page isn't a problem.

One other thing...I ran a whois and the owner's info is protected by whoisguard. I don't do business with merchants who feel they need to hide their info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I agree with Crocket and Billy I'm very surprised to hear you say that a reciprocal links page isn't a problem.
    It surprised me too Rhea, when I saw that Billy had responded to the thread I expected to see something more than it being "ok"

I expected it to be more of THIS

Hey - it's ok to disagree

In no particular order....

1. It's not "FULL" of leaks as the thread title suggests. To ME, the thread title suggested there were adsense links everywhere, Linkshare banners for 1800Flowers, etc.

2. It's a one page recip links page - that's hard to find - the type was so small. You would actually have to LOOK for that link to find it.

3. The recips links page doesn't have aff links, it's just straight links to anyone who wishes to exchange links - even non-related stuff

4. Unlike Crocket's scenario, where people visit a links page before shopping, if TWO people click a recip link on my sites in a week, it's a lot

5. I draw my visitors in by targeting certain keywords, like "pink square bananas". If they found my site, then they looked at my thumbnail product page, clicked thru to the product detail page, cliked the "enlarge image", registered (I get their info before sending them off), and then clicked them thru to the merchants pink square banana order form page...

I can't picture them ever going to the merchants recip links page first! Again, MY opinion is if they're at that page, me and the merchant didn't do our jobs, and the person was heading out the door anyway.

But you don't have to agree. If you're uncomfortable, don't promote the merchant

Didn't see my quote from that earlier thread...

Leaks to me is links on category and product pages (not a recip links page)

and...

I'm tuffer on CP Shopkeepers 'cause they recently changed from "shopkeepers" to "merchants", and need a quick TUFF course on what the needs of affiliates are

I dislike reciprocal links pages, but it's not because of the leakage factor. (I agree with Billy, that it's very minimal.) My problem with reciprocal links pages is that it gives the merchant an amateur appearance. Same with PayPal-only, stock osCommerce sites, counters, fake testimonials, typos, poor layout, and other things you only except to see on personal pages. Those types of things erode customer confidence and negatively affect conversions.

Sometimes I think people here are too obsessive about leakage. Some leaks actually have a positive effect. For instance, a toll free number (as long as they're not overtly diverting sales to it) increases customer confidence. I suspect that the confidence factor increases conversions more than the leakage factor reduces them. (Of course telephone tracking is the best of both worlds.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hey - it's ok to disagree

1. It's not "FULL" of leaks as the thread title suggests. To ME, the thread title suggested there were adsense links everywhere, Linkshare banners for 1800Flowers, etc.
    LOL I agree, I wanted to edit that "FULL" shortly after I posted it but waited too long. So if someone would be so kind to edit that subject line I would truly appreciate it

I'm tuffer on CP Shopkeepers 'cause they recently changed from "shopkeepers" to "merchants", and need a quick TUFF course on what the needs of affiliates are
    Then you can see where I am coming from, I am one of those "shopkeepers" to "merchants", that was given the 101 quick TUFF course.

It is possible that if I were "just" a shopper and had not trained my eye to look at the bottom of EVERY page I visit I may not have found the link section.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/rowdyjrt]Rowdy Jack Russell Terrier[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Sometimes I think people here are too obsessive about leakage. Some leaks actually have a positive effect. For instance, a toll free number (as long as they're not overtly diverting sales to it) increases customer confidence. I suspect that the confidence factor increases conversions more than the leakage factor reduces them. (Of course telephone tracking is the best of both worlds.)

I agree, when I see a # listed on a site I get a feeling that it isn't a fly by night operation. Its not that I feel a need to call my order in, that would take too much time...sitting on hold etc.

Michael, I agree about the lack of professionalism when a merchant site has a links page.

Look, if you need this niche and there's no better alternative, then go with it. If there is a better alternative then ditch these guys. If I was looking for a merchant with this line of products I'd still walk away from this one because of the 800 number and the Live Person links, but especially the lack of whois info. Plus, I followed a few of those links on the recip links page and they go to affiliate sites. And that ain't good.

I try to build my affiliate links around merchants who know what they're doing. I don't always get it right but I do usually sniff out the ones who don't know what they're doing...or don't care. It takes too much time to build an aff site or aff links without wasting even a small percent of my efforts on merchants like that.

http://logo.cafepress.com/0/1392224.1382510.jpg

I can't believe I made up a super silly bananna example - and you have a super silly bananna product What are the odds

Croc...

On you main page you say - in the same font size as everthying else -

Affiliate Program
    Earn 20% of the retail

Not sure CUSTOMERS want to know that at the outset.

I KNOW - save my comment for the "Review My Site" category.

Back on topic/.......

FYI: If you have a merchant account (and all merchants do) - Visa/mastercard REQUIRE your customer support phone number on your site. Friggin' AMEX wouldn't even let me post my spam number on the site (leads to a compterized "We're not available/leave a message recording) - they require me to post one I'll actually answer.- in order to take American Express credit cards

15 years and counting
    I don't mind ONE link page (no affiliate links) on a merchant site if it's professionally done and not in the way of the customers. A merchant with an established reputation should not need it. I can't stand a company like 180flowers and all their other "partners" cross referencing each other on each page, offering competing products and washing our cookies.

http://logo.cafepress.com/0/1392224.1382510.jpg

I can't believe I made up a super silly bananna example - and you have a super silly bananna product What are the odds

lol fate perhaps? He is a hot seller

Croc...

On you main page you say - in the same font size as everthying else -

Affiliate Program
    Earn 20% of the retail

Not sure CUSTOMERS want to know that at the outset.

I KNOW - save my comment for the "Review My Site" category.

Back on topic/.......
    My main site pulls in all sections from my CP shop. The font size is out of my control it is a section from my CP shop. That was a section I created when CP first started the affiliate program, one shopkeeper (me) following the lead of other shopkeepers lol

I know my site isn't that wonderful, that is why you won't find it posted in the "review my site" category. I'm just not up to those site reviews heck I might end up getting my feelings hurt (crocket is a very sensitive girl)

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that doesnt fall under leaky merchants for me. It's just a links page that probably only the SE crawlers hit.

Something like this is a leaky merchant:

http://www.youractivepet.com/cgi-loc...html?E+scstore

Actually a merchant at LS, notice under Recommended Links, straight affiliate link to 1800PetMeds and then Sierra Trading Post. They also used to have a big Amazon banner on the front page too.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Yeah, that doesnt fall under leaky merchants for me. It's just a links page that probably only the SE crawlers hit.

Something like this is a leaky merchant:

http://www.youractivepet.com/cgi-loc...html?E+scstore

Actually a merchant at LS, notice under Recommended Links, straight affiliate link to 1800PetMeds and then Sierra Trading Post. They also used to have a big Amazon banner on the front page too.
    Holy crap!
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

15 years and counting
    Pretty bad, what are they doing with an affiliate program at LinkShare?
    They even have their own affiliate links on a title on their frontpage:
    Info/Activities
    Redirecting to sierratradingpost.com
    It's misleading, at least.
    They are also popping surveys not related to their activities on their product pages.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    This brings up an interesting question: is it ok for affiliate sites to have a links page? Or is it better to somehow intersperse links throughout the pages of the site? For some of us who have not established our (affiliate) brand and search engine presence, and don't have a huge amount of content to put a lot of non-affiliate contextual reciprocally-based links in for SEO purposes, isn't a reciprocal links page one of the prime ways of building up our SEO?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    FYI: If you have a merchant account (and all merchants do) - Visa/mastercard REQUIRE your customer support phone number on your site. Friggin' AMEX wouldn't even let me post my spam number on the site (leads to a compterized "We're not available/leave a message recording) - they require me to post one I'll actually answer.- in order to take American Express credit cards
    Maybe that's a processor requirement. Some companies will attribute their own rules to other, "higher" companies to get more compliance.

The only requirement my processor has for me was that I had a "means to contact" customer service on the site, and that I (or an employee of mine) "answer" (as in, respond). The contact form has been sufficient. I had no problems for my new site either (I got seperate acct's for that) and it's set up the same way.

I'm incessantly checking those email addys, because that's also where the SALE NOTICES come in! So they get lots of stat checks. But that does ensure that any inquiries get a great response time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Coley
    My problem with reciprocal links pages is that it gives the merchant an amateur appearance.
    I agree. It screams "Newb!" It also doesn't look very confident--the merchant shouldn't be acting as if it thinks there's ANY possibility that the visitor would want to go elsewhere!

But, I think that they can indeed be leakage in some circumstances. I've come across a few merchant sites that make the link to their links-page so prominent that it's as if they *want* people to click it.

In any case I don't like links pages, especially on merchant sites.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    This brings up an interesting question: is it ok for affiliate sites to have a links page? Or is it better to somehow intersperse links throughout the pages of the site? For some of us who have not established our (affiliate) brand and search engine presence, and don't have a huge amount of content to put a lot of non-affiliate contextual reciprocally-based links in for SEO purposes, isn't a reciprocal links page one of the prime ways of building up our SEO?
    Are you building the site for SEO, or for visitors? If it's for visitors, are the links you're putting up useful to visitors? I've never seen links on "reciprocal links" pages that are useful. That's my gripe with reciprocal links pages in a nutshell.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Ok, that's a good point. So aside from an actual "links page", what's a better way of putting recip links into an affiliate site design that's both professional looking and also helps SEO for getting visitors (who probably want to spend) to this site for its particular niche(s)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast