CJ Merchants Using Adsense
    I know this has been discussed before, but in my searches I am not finding it. I would like to hear some fresh opinions about merchants that use Adsense on every page of their site. Pros or Con. Frankly, I do not like it for 2 reasons. One, are they that greedy and or perhap desparate? And secondly, I do not like the idea of driving customers to a merchants site that offers easy exit opportunities like Adsense.

Thanks in advance.
    The best things in life are not things at all...

ABW Ambassador
    As an affiliate sending traffic to a merchant, there are no pros. I've always viewed that as a merchant telling me I should promote their competitors I see in the Adsense ads on their site. Their competitors that are confident enough in what they have to offer not to promote their competition on their site. Big red flag, no way they get any links from me.

There is NO good, logical reason a merchant should EVER have AdSense on their site.

Ever.

Period.

Unless they're Google.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I think it is a con to the affiliate and an obvious pro to a merchant. Or at least, a certain type of merchant. I suppose your goal as a merchant should be to keep the visitor there and make a purchase, but some merchants can't close the sale and are happy to make money elsewhere. I have previously discussed this as a form of arbitrage, take our traffic for free, then monetize it any way they can. But, we do not get a direct cut of the adsense traffic, so we are losing money on it.

I would note that it is not just some small merchant players that display Adsense, Amazon has been displaying Adsense forever.

What Noth said!

Lightbulb
    there's an indy I've promoted for a few years who started putting adsense ads and link-exchange ads on every product page a visitor could click to. I started to comment on it until I realized the AM was almost clueless as to how affiliates felt about it.

subsequent changes in that program lead me to believe it is starting to go downhill. time will tell as to how fast.

this is in a vertical where there is mucho competition, and at higher commission rates. A domain I've built up for them will be easy to switch over when the time comes.

Herb --

What's an indy??

if you are a larget advertiser with 100's of thousands of skus you could just create a data base of commissionalble links and place these on the page instead of adsense...call it compairision shopping

sure that's what i thought it was too. Who is the affiliate ... the lines are getting gray

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    Herb --

What's an indy??
    a merchant with an in-house affiliate program. some are good to us, some are . . . well . . . questionable at times.

incidentally, just went back to look at the one I just mentioned and I see the junkier graphics are gone this year. but not the Adsense ads.

Ahhh... thanks!

any merchant with adsense just doesn't get it

ABW Ambassador
    This to me portrays a very unprofessional image for merchants who should be trying to sell their own products or services and not be trying to rake up a few extra bucks by sending their traffic to their competitors. Any merchant that uses adsense comes across as desperate and who obviously lack any sort of funds and are in need of any cash they can quickly scrape up. If I see any merchants using adsense then I would take all links down immediately.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I agree with the PPs. I have started to review my Merchants more by "shopping" around on their sites and going to pages that I may have usually skipped. I should have been doing this from the start, but you learn a lot here in these forums! It's amazing at what you find on some sites (affiliate links, adsense, toolbars, etc.)

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread