Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation Savings.com Scam - Misleading Affiliates
    I recently joined up with this outfit, believing they offered just debt refinancing & loans etc. I just got an email from them which was all about, you guessed it "loans and refinancing" etc. I thought they looked genuine but was skeptical about the domain name but sure enough in the merchant description field it only mentions finance related offers like this:

Mortgage pays up to $...
    Debt Management pays up to $...
    Student Loan Consolidation pays up to $... etc

all the email links and offers was also about Debt Relief etc.

I then decided I needed to know a bit more about them so I can add some sort of description to my site about them so I clicked on their url and I'm then confronted with a search box for "Browse Today’s Popular Coupons and Deals" and nothing at all about finance and debt etc. I then browsed through to the next page and all it is is an affiliate coupon site and nothing at all to do with been a finance and debt company.

This is very concerning and I hope CJ will take action on this deceptive and misleading merchant who is obviously trying to sign up gullible affiliates so they can spam them with their cookies and much more I guess.

At least Ebates doesn't hide the fact they are a coupon site but this is really low and I'm pretty disappointed that CJ would allow this & jeopardize all affiliates commissions and tracking by allowing these scumbags on their network.

Well I soon deleted this merchant and I wonder how many other affiliates have been fooled by this deceptive merchant that never bothered to go on to their website.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Oi! Just looked through that...

If you click on the Billsaver tab at the top, it is about refi/mortgage, etc.

But even that has a prominent CJ link on the front page.

This one's pretty pathetic.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    One thing that really worries me now is I wonder how many other merchants I have joined up with on CJ who are also doing deceiving things like this that I wasn't aware of? I can really understand why many members here don't have anything to do with CJ anymore,it's starting to add up..

I'm actually signed up with around 1000 merchants on CJ and I will now have to thoroughly go and check every one to make sure they are also not in on one of these misleading scams. If anyone can please point me to any more information on any merchants who are doing similar things then it would be very appreciated.

This one's pretty pathetic.
    Sure is
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

15 years and counting
    What's that crap?
    This site is an affiliate coupon site with thousand of affiliate links all hidden behind a debt refinancing & loans home page.
    Watch your cookies!
    From CJ
    Join the Savings.com Affiliate Program and get paid Up to $70 per lead. We offer several different programs, each with optimized, targeted landing pages. We also have many other site features that we can custom tailor for your special marketing needs, such as white-labeling, etc. Just send us a request and we’ll see if we can fulfill your special creative or technical request.
    They have A UK program, too.

While it is a bit shady, you haven't looked into the issue fully. Their destination URL for their CJ links only go to the pages on the loans.savings.com section (The Billsaver section), and not the main page. It's not like they're directing users to the main page and not to the place they intended to go.

Shady, yes. But I don't really think that people clicking on a link who want debt consolidation will really click on that small coupons link at the top of the page.

15 years and counting
    that small coupons link at the top of the page.
    What are you talking about? Small coupon links... You have THOUSAND of links setting cookies for everything from A to Z.
    Check that link: coupons.savings.com/ add http:// I don't want to give them a free link.
    Wait for the page to load!
    That's a crappy website.
    Do you want to promote somebody competing with you in your back?
    That's remind me of DentalPlans before hiding better their shopping site.

I have not researched this merchant, so I really don't know what is going on here, but I just have to tell Joshua that where there is smoke, there is ususally fire. Why work with "shady" at all?

If I were driving quality traffic to a loan offer and it turns out to have non-relevant coupons all over the page my user might be annoyed enough to not come back to my site again. Or, even if they decided to click on one of these coupons, most likely I will not see a dime of that revenue, because it is not a "loan lead".

Does that make sense?

Anyway, I probably shouldn't get involved because I do not work with this merchant, but shady is as shady does and I tend to just stay away from that.

Sheri

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    While it is a bit shady, you haven't looked into the issue fully. Their destination URL for their CJ links only go to the pages on the loans.savings.com section (The Billsaver section), and not the main page. It's not like they're directing users to the main page and not to the place they intended to go.
    Exactly. glinted, you really have a way of overreacting. Since you are so concerned about what you consider deceptive merchants, it's just amazing to me that you plaster links all over your site when you haven't even done any homework on the program before joining.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Exactly. glinted, you really have a way of overreacting. Since you are so concerned about what you consider deceptive merchants, it's just amazing to me that you plaster links all over your site when you haven't even done any homework on the program before joining.
    Who the hell said I plastrered links all over my site, in fact I have not plastered one link. I think your the one who needs to do their homework pal.

I will continue to expose any shady merchants and people like you won't stop me.

15 years and counting
    It's not easy to discover merchants misleading affiliates. Sometimes, you have to join and work with them for a while to understand how crooked they are.

Wait a minute... Are you guys looking at the same savings.com site I am?

Not only is it deceptive, it's ridiculous. I mean, I'm all for not running people through the ringer without proof, but jeez, go through that site!
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    Who the hell said I plastrered links all over my site, in fact I have not plastered one link.
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    I'm actually signed up with around 1000 merchants on CJ
    Oh, so I guess you're just a habitual "joiner."

Again, there is nothing deceptive here. Leaks via their Coupons link, yes, but their affiliate program is not deceptive if all of their affiliate links land on a page that commissions for leads generated from those pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth

Not only is it deceptive, it's ridiculous. I mean, I'm all for not running people through the ringer without proof, but jeez, go through that site!
    Some domain, but a different site. The affiliate links land at loans.savings.com.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I'm looking at the landing page for their affiliate links. Other pages on their site are not relevant to the allegations that glinted has made.

I hear you Snowman, but there are at least 3 links on the landing page that drive the traffic you are sending to their HUGE ING aff link, or to the coupon site.

Maybe misleading is a slightly incorrect term, but the fact remains that a merchant that has that many aff links (or any) on an easily reachable portion of their site is BAD BUSINESS.

I score this program 0 out of 10.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Noth, I previously acknowledged the leaks. That's a completely different issue than alleged in the first post of this thread. If someone is going to slam a merchant, get your facts right.

I suspect that the affiliates who are making a lot of money from this program, based on the EPC listed in CJ, aren't significantly concerned about the leaks.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    I suspect that the affiliates who are making a lot of money from this program, based on the EPC listed in CJ, aren't significantly concerned about the leaks.
    They should.
    What do you think these people are doing!
    Do you think they use the emails collected only once?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    They should.
    What do you think these people are doing!
    Do you think they use the emails collected only once?
    I don't understand what you are saying/asking.

15 years and counting
    What's the reason for these people to have a coupon site with thousand affiliate links in the back?
    I'm pretty sure like you "that the affiliates who are making a lot of money from this program, based on the EPC listed in CJ, aren't significantly concerned about the leaks."
    The affiliates did their jobs, pushing the offer. The leak is not a problem, the visitors want a loan, a mortgage offer or whatever, they are not going to click on crappy coupon links.
    Now, I suspect the merchant to be unscrupulous and use the information collected from the lead to either stuff cookies or spam them with unrelated offers from affiliated merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    "What's the reason for these people to have a coupon site with thousand affiliate links in the back?"

You'll need to ask them, but my guess is that it's for the same reason that any other merchant has income-generating links on their site that are non-commissionable to affiliates. Regardless, that is irrelevant to glinted's complaint which is based on the lack of actually confirming the allegation that he made and is false.

"Now, I suspect the merchant to be unscrupulous and use the information collected from the lead to either stuff cookies or spam them with unrelated offers from affiliated merchants."

Have you read their Privacy Policy? On what basis are you alleging a suspicion of unscrupulous behavior by the Merchant?

It sure would be nice if everyone would stop making these unfounded allegations when you have absolutely nothing to base them upon.

15 years and counting
    Have you read their Privacy Policy? On what basis are you alleging a suspicion of unscrupulous behavior by the Merchant?
    Believe me, I don't need to read their Privacy Policy to understand the behaviour of a merchant.
    I survived 12 years in Affiliate Marketing just because I'm not naive and I suspect many things even other "affiliates" on this board.
    Saying savings.com is not clean is not "an unfounded allegation"

I'll bow and admit that "misleading" and "scam" are strong for the situation. And I know that you have acknowledged the leaks.

It just amazes me that anyone had joined their program at all, considering even the leaks on the landing pages.

I wonder if the high EPC is moreso derived from pages they have White Labeled for affiliates...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    I'll bow and admit that "misleading" and "scam" are strong for the situation. And I know that you have acknowledged the leaks.

It just amazes me that anyone had joined their program at all, considering even the leaks on the landing pages.

I wonder if the high EPC is moreso derived from pages they have White Labeled for affiliates...
    If the screen real estate you are giving to their links is generating good income, who cares about leaks? Would you not agree that if a single link is generating $1,000/mo in income and the link right below it is generating $25/mo in income, then any residual income the leaking merchant is earning without having to pay a commission is their right?

As Michael Coley recently said in another thread, some people give too much unnecessary attention to leaks. No one likes leaks, me included, but if the program is paying you well, you are wasting energy by focusing on something that's just not important in the overall scheme of things.

I don't understand your last comment about pages being white labeled for affiliates. EPC is determined on affiliate leads/sales only by clicking on an affiliate link so clicks on non-affiliate links are neither tracked nor relevant to determining the EPC generated by the affiliate program.

I don't understand your last comment about pages being white labeled for affiliates. EPC is determined on affiliate leads/sales only by clicking on an affiliate link so clicks on non-affiliate links are neither tracked nor relevant to determining the EPC generated by the affiliate program.
    White labeling basically indicates that they can create co branded or uniquely branded pages for their affiliates. That way, the affiliate may have more control over the content of the pages to a degree.

And as I recall, Mr.Coley was referring in that instance to a page of reciprocal links. He may well believe that leaks of the nature we're looking at at savings.com are meaningless, and that's within his rights. He's been at this a long time, so he knows how to work this business.

And you are right, the merchant has the right to put whatever links they want to on a site. The affiliate has the right to decide who to promote. Which I know you understand.

I think at this point, you and I are probably debating nothing that can be resolved. To my way of thinking, at CJ alone, there are 19 American lending programs with higher EPC. (Although I only looked briefly at 7 day EPC.)

So there are better, safer choices. IMHO.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

15 years and counting
    Savings.com is an "affiliate" of an other company using an independent third party verification service to screen the leads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast