Revealing Affiliate Information
    What’s up! I have heard many different opinions on this topic, but I want to hear your thoughts. So, as an AM I get asked a lot of questions about the affiliates in the program I manage. Some people call as prospective affiliates and some of my current affiliates fish for info as well. Ex: Who are some of your most successful affiliates? How much do they make per year? Etc.
    Should I reveal this information? I never have before, but I have heard other AMs say they do. I understand they do this to not only encourage their affiliates, but also show them profitable strategies. But as an affy, I am not sure I would want other people looking at how I market the programs or knowing how much I was making.
    What do you think?

ABW Ambassador
    "Should I reveal this information? I never have before, but I have heard other AMs say they do."

No, and those other AM's shouldn't be doing that either. There is supposed to be a partnership between merchant and affiliate. Part of that is not talking about an affiliate's business with their competitor. To me that's a violation of trust and maybe agreements too.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's a very fair question if people ask how much your top affiliates make. However, when they want to tie that amount of success to a particular affiliate's identity, then you have a major problem.

Michael

15 years and counting
    It depends how it's done. I don't like to discuss with AMs, not because I have to hide something but because I don't want them to tell others of what works for me and how I do it. I had serious problems before.
    I think it's important for an affiliate to understand if your program works. So you have to come up with some figures. I think the OPMs on ABW are doing a great job.
    I enjoyed the way Andy Rodriguez did it with Tiger Direct. It was fun, like a challenge for each of us. Each month he was publishing the best performing affiliates, with the sale amount, without revealing the full affiliate name. He was able to grow drastically his program. (At that time Affiliate Marketing was like a family)
    Things are changing. You can't tell anymore who is your best affiliate. (Or ask him to hire a lawyer full time before)

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, you might talk about general stuff like that. My top affiliate made $$$$. But when you go into revealing stuff like who they are or their sites, without their permission, then no.

Good Deal. I am happy I have kept my mouth shut when I get grilled for info. Although it makes some people irritated, I am being loyal to the mass.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TooLegitToQuit
    Good Deal. I am happy I have kept my mouth shut when I get grilled for info. Although it makes some people irritated, I am being loyal to the mass.
    smart guy.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Sharing amounts can usually do the job. If an affiliate is asking for other affiliates' info, they are either too new to know that this is not the norm or are trying to get you to divulge sensitive data that should not be shared.

NEVER share actual affiliate names, sites, etc.

If you find that establishing trust is an issue, keep the lines of communication open without being overbearing. I never stop being surprised when someone I approached a year ago or 6 months ago who previously said no seeks me out to test an offer.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Anonymous dollar amounts: Yes
    Just about anything else (domains, names, etc.) - No

What I did for anyone looking for example sites is created a few of my own affiliate sites for people to check out and our marketing department actually uses them for some test campaigns.

Also, nothing is to stop them for Googling your major keywords and finding a boatload of examples and ideas.

I usually tell affiliates I would not give out their info, so I won't give them others...and so far all have been cool with that.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

General information that cannot be tied to a specific affiliate is fine. For instance, a list of your top payouts (dollar amounts only, no names) each month can be a real motivator. I typically ask prospective merchants what conversion ratio sites similar to mine see, and that's fine to give out as well. You're not revealing specific sites or practices.

When it comes to revealing specifics, you should never do that without permission. And most affiliates won't give you permission. That includes names of other affiliates, what types of things other affiliates are working on, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks everyone!

Well, now you know who NOT to listen to or take advise from. That is always useful information!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Even though it's been said, I'll agree... $ amounts are fine, names are not. I wouldn't even ask what the others make, but I like to know the rank, like I'm the 10th best performer for a month or so... lets me know there's room for growth or if I'm already at the top.

Its good to be friendly with your affiliates but I think you dont have to be too friendly in such a way that you are giving out information that may encroach on the privacy of other affiliates or your network.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread