Worst affiliate recruitment attempt I've ever seen
    A relatively new CJ merchant, less than 1 month old, sent me their program terms (I'm guessing they pulled random 5-bar earners with sites matching their description?), and then CJmailed me the worst recruitment attempt I've ever seen. Here's the email, with the name of the company withheld for the time being:

Subject: Regarding Ad Display
    Date: 5-Jan-2007

Hello,

We would like to place our ads on your website "http://(www.one-of-my.sites) ".

Kindly approve our request

Thanks & regards
    (merchant name)

Wow... That was convincing. At least it got straight to the point

Thumbs up
    Yes. There were no lies or exaggerations in that e-mail!

http and a telephoto
    **gasp**

Nice work!!!! (not)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Coincidentally, I got an SEO email addressed to webmaster@mysite today, and the unique simplicity of it had me briefly considering their request:

Name: Nandanan xxxxx
    Email: seo@xxxxx.com

Query: Request to add my website url http://www.xxx.com
    into your site. Thanks.

The ones I like the most are from merchants I have been working with for YEARS.... "I saw your site at ( insert url here) and thought we would be a good fit." It is nice to be appreciated by people you have been advertising for for eons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    The ones I like the most are from merchants I have been working with for YEARS.... "I saw your site at ( insert url here) and thought we would be a good fit." It is nice to be appreciated by people you have been advertising for for eons.
    I get those once in a while and respond with a snapshot of my stats. I really have fun when they call me on the phone to recruit me. I let them go through the whole canned sales pitch and then tell them I've been with the program for several years.
    ~Ernie

Online Marketing Consultant

Although that can be annoying, if there is a new account manager or if the program has thousands and thousands of affiliates, when you are recruiting you cannot always keep track of them.

But still that first e-mail is hilarious, to the point but at the same time it really doesn't mention the benefit to you or anything lol

Even worse is when you have several sites with a merchant and you get an email like that. I used to email them back and ask which site they were asking about. They usually had no clue.

Sadly, I think a lot of merchant programs are run by someone already in the company who got the job and knows nothing about affiliate marketing are are just grasping at straws trying to get people to join without considering how things well be received that they send out.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

7-days wrote (in part): "I used to email them back and ask which site they were asking about. They usually had no clue."

This week, I got an email from a CPC advertising company, telling me how my site would be a perfect fit for their network. I wrote back asking which site they were talking about, and their reply was "what sites do you own?"

When I wrote back complaining that the original email was basically spam, the reply was to suggest that I should sign up my site at markwelch.com (which he found from my email address) since it does not have any advertising. (The homepage at markwelch.com is, of course, an advertisement for my consulting services; traffic to the page is nominal but it has a pagerank of 5.)

An affiliate/site recruitment email MUST be specific: "your site at (URL) seems to be a great fit for our network because (e.g. we have several advertisers who sell widgets, and your site is about widgets)."

This email "recruitment" actually damaged the company, because they were previously on my list of ad networks I would use for client-campaign testing, and now they are off that list.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Hello,

We would like to place our ads on your website "http://(www.one-of-my.sites) ".

Kindly approve our request

Thanks & regards
    (merchant name)

THAT is classic. Part of me does give them credit for making no outlandish claims or promises

But most of me just laughs at them.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, no BS, nothing. Straight to the point but it lacks some critical info.

Example of a good recruitment
    I was just wondering, do you have a good example of a good recruitment email, or do you have list of things you're looking for other then getting to the point and being specific?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I was just wondering, do you have a good example of a good recruitment email, or do you have list of things you're looking for other then getting to the point and being specific?
    Our first choice - Mike and Charlie - turned us down, so you're our backup plan!

(You're new/don't get it/but 3 months from now you'll be rolling on the floor)

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by jchawla2345
    Do It just like Billy said! LOL. Too funny, anyways:

Be friendly but professional. Affiliates respond to more personalization than obviously merged and generated e-mails.

Include a few things about their site or sites which relate to your program and why you might you would be a good fit for them

Don't forget to include the perks and benefits of your program like payouts and incentives

Let them know about parasite preventive and other techniques you use to try to ensure the cleanest possible network

Provide direct lines and contact info. Communication is key, especially if you spark interest with an affiliate

Just use common sense, affiliates are not the stereotypical business you are cutting a deal with. They are regular people with a talent for internet marketing and promotion.

Although it is technically a business deal or partnership, from personal experience, they are looking for trust, a slightly personal relationship and someone who is not going to act like a corporation making them feel like they have tons of redtape to go through to get answers. Talk to them as you would want a sales rep to talk to you, professional but friendly and write it out in a short and sweet but informative e-mail. Bullet points work great to help get your main messages and reasons why they should join across.

I don't think many people will post their e-mail templates or strategies for recruitment, but be origional and read some of the threads where affiliates say what they want and what they are looking for in a program. By emphasizing that and following through with it, you will find alot more success in recruitment.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Asking for feedback is one thing. posting all your contact info, emails, signup links might be taken by some to be a cheap bypass of the paid announcement rules here.
    Sorry ... I'm good at being skeptical.

That said, you did ask for feedback so I'll give you some. (You seem legit )

Personal message.
    Iíve just reviewed your site sitename.com, and would be honored to have you join our affiliate marketing program.
    Not really a personal message.
    Something along the lines of: I've reviewed your site yaddayadda.com and feel we would be a great fit with your intended audience. Your section on howtogetahottietoworkforyouwithyourwifespermission ties in directly with our swedish nanny signup pages and I believe you would see a good return on your time adding our links. I have some other ideas how we could fit on other areas of your site and if you are interested would like to go over them with you or I could send you some relevant links to look at after you sign up.

Nannies4hire has several nanny industry professionals to answer questions by telephone at 402-379-4121
    You mention the phone but don't mention phone tracking.

**Editing out the myap stuff because that gets debated a lot elsewhere **

If you have any additional questions about our program feel free to contact us at mail@nannies4hire.com. An affiliate manager will respond promptly
    Going back to the personal thing, this is something a lot of AMs do and it bugs me a little. You make this nice email out to me personally, from you personally, and then tell me some nameless person who has a couple of free minutes will help me out.
    Switching back into corporate sales mode, I always, if sending out an initial contact letter/email/etc would state you can contact me here via email/telephone/etc. Once I knew I was getting swamped, etc, I would assign these to my sales staff like this:
    If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or Joe Blow who I have assigned as your account representative to help you in any way we can.
    Keep it personal, don't go through all that to, on one of the last lines, make it seem like a form mail.

and mail@nannies4hire.com?
    You don't have your own email? Or an email account that sounds like it has something to do with the affiliate program? It's a step up on those companies that send affiliate email from yahoo or hotmail accounts, but an email like that makes it look like it's going to go into a catchall rather than an actual person.

Lastly, I know what you are trying to do with the wording, but personally, with the honored bit, it makes me feel like I'm dealing with a kiss ass type person.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    We were all newbies once. Cut the guy some slack. Laughing at him is like a high schooler laughing at a kid playing t-ball.

winnie07's post and subsequent replies thereto were split into http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=85868
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

18. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread