Best FTP Program to pull Datafeeds
    Does anyone know the best FTP program to pull datafeeds from "Linkshare". I am having the hardest time trying to get "merchadiser category files" using the "get" command using:

get XXX_XX_XX_.cmp.txt.gz

Does anyone know of a program that will help pull these feeds i have tried everything.

I have even tried getting them by running FTP program on my computer:

Start>Run>Command> entering my username and password, bin, dir...

Wget works wonders!
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Can you give more detail about the problem? FTP is FTP - doesn't really matter if it is linkshare or otherwise. So if there is a problem with everything you are trying it might be on the other end.

I use nothing but Filezilla. Free.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Two things to keep in mind with LinkShare FTP:

1) You have to give them your IP Address so they can open it up for you. If you're not able to see anything, they probably haven't whitelisted your IP Address.

2) Keep in mind that what you're seeing in a directory list is macros, not the files. When you see "123_45678_mp.txt.gz.lmp", you need to download "123_45678_mp.txt.gz" (Remove the ".lmp".)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

thank you guys for responding:

I have contacted them but haven't gotten a response (almost a week now), so of course i sent them another note.

have used the "get" command and left off the lmp (they did say the lmp was merely a placeholder) did give them my ip address (they needed this to set up the account) I just don't know what to do now.. i really need to get started working with these feeds but do not know how to retrieve them.

forgot to add...

response saying "File not found". I can download the full merchandiser file however we all know these feeds can be huge and lock up your computer, that is the very reason i need to download "Categories" only.

So Michael... if you are not whitelisted you can connect but not see files? Never heard of that. You learn every day.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

No, you wouldn't be able to connect at all if your IP Address isn't on their "allow" list.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    No, you wouldn't be able to connect at all if your IP Address isn't on their "allow" list.
    WRONG. It WAS. Not the case now.

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    Wget works wonders!
    Don't you mean "MGet"???

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Quote Originally Posted by pexcornel
    WRONG. It WAS. Not the case now.
    You're right. I just tested it and I'm able to log in, view directories, and download files from an IP Address that was never registered.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by kbrock
    Don't you mean "MGet"???
    Nope, I use Wget or more specifically Wget for Windows.
    Love it.
    Have command line files with the locations of all my feeds and how I want the files saved.
    I use windows scheduler to run them based on the update frequency or network requirements.
    There are a couple of threads around here where wget is talked about and a google search will also get you info in notime.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

ABW Ambassador
    I modified a scipt to run off my pc & download them like that as I also could not retrieve them using filiezilla. I wrote the "idiot proof" full instructions in case anyone else wants them in the forum here...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Yes please!

Seems as though I've figured it out now, FileZilla was pretty useless.

I downloaded WGet and created a .bat file with my configuration in. It was pretty straight forward, if a little annoying!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread