Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager
    Affiliate Summit Tips
    This will be my 4th affiliate summit, so I thought I'd share some tips.

1. Bring a LOT of cards, at least 500 or so.

2. Designate pockets for types of business cards. For example, my right pocket are my business cards, my left pocket is for affiliate cards, and my back non wallet pocket is for everyone else.

3. Bring cough drops or something else that cools your throat. You'll be talking a lot (or you should be at least).

4. Some people will be dressed in suits (networks), some will be in jeans (affiliates ), and some will be business casual. Unless you are speaking, I suggest the business casual for merchants and OPMs. Affiliates can obviously wear whatever they want. Shirts with logos are probably best. You will be doing a lot of talking, walking, and hand shaking.

5. It's probably too late, but stay at the host hotel if you can. It is such a pain to have to keep running back to your hotel to freshen up or change.

6. If this is your first time in Vegas, you don't know that food is EXPENSIVE. The lunch buffet at the Wynn was $35 pp, and dinner was $50 (but we did see Mike Tyson). Budget yourselves accordingly.

7. Bring enough luggage to bring more home than you brought. You may receive a lot of chachtke's, t-shirts, and other items during the summit.

8. Optimize your experience there. Team up with others who are there for a different purpose and act as wingmen (or wingwomen). For example, if you are a merchant, team up with a network, opm, and affiliate. When another merchant talks to you, you can introduce them to the other 3. They will, in turn, return the favor. If they don't, find other wingpeople.

PLEASE POST ONLY TIPS TO KEEP THIS THREAD CONCISE

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Bring an extra shirt - and stick it behind a booth - you'll probably know someone with a booth who can watch it

This way if you spill coffee, sweat like a pig, or feel overdressed or underdressed, you'll have a spare

Comfortable shoes - you'll walk as much as a day at Disneyworld

http and a telephoto
    If you are staying at a hotel other than Ballys, find a friendly person WITH a room at Ballys that may let you freshen up, change for the parties etc... or do what Billy says, find someone with a booth to tuck your change of clothes behind and use the closest rest room

Get your goodie bag, take it to your room and empty it, carry it back to the exhibit hall empty, you will refill it from your booth visits.

Have that notepad and handy, you will actually want to WRITE a few things down...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Don't forget to hug loxly when you run into her.

Bring purell to keep in your purse or pocket, you will be shaking a lot of hands, you don't know where those hands have been.

Bring eye drops, the air is dry and helps get the red out the morning after.

Do not get limes with your Coronas. The limes will give you a hangover if you have too many.

Steer clear of people with smiley underwear

Bring one empty suitcase for the cool stuff merchants give away

Turn your cell phone off so you don't annoy people when it rings constantly, and please don't wear your bluetooth in your ear all day, it just looks wrong

Sit near the door at each session in case the speaker is boring ( I will have to admit though, I haven't had this experience at affiliate summit)

If you are worried about paying for meals, there is a Dennys closeby that has normal prices

Don't ask the cabdriver how he ended up in vegas

What happens at Summit stays at Summit. All video tapes and pictures were photoshopped and aren't real.

Everyone who has had a drink thinks they sing well. Everyone who has a drink thinks everyone else sounds great too.

To maintain this thought, do not visit affiliatesgonewild.com when the event is finished. Ignorance is bliss.

I am looking for tips: Is there usually presentation material handed out, or can DVDs be ordered later? Brains and s only absorb so much the first time around.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    All of my advice is either second hand from others who have been or just general conference experience.

1. Sleep well before the conference

2. Definitely have a half suitcase for extra stuff going back

3. Wear comfortable shoes. Give absolutely NO thought to how they look. I suggest Josef Seibel if you want good looking comfy shoes...they are the bestest!

4. Never hold a drink in your right hand - when you shake its cold

5. Bring money...and some good Blackjack advice for me cause I SUCK.

6. Vegas is colder than most people think (at least me) so check the forecast...right now it is below freezing there.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...nav_undeclared
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Mike, you missed something.

Bring GUM if you have bad breath.

Internet Cowboy
    Get LOTS of sleep before you go, because you will not get much while you are there.
    Pace yourself. Don't get too wild and crazy the first night only to flame out the other nights.
    Hug as many women as possible and hug the nice ones twice!

Most of all remember....what happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas

I can't wait!

Patrick, all of the presentations are made available to participants after the event. They make the PPT slides and a video of the session available. This brings me to another point. If you have a session, make sure you comb your hair. I need not worry about this one though

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Hug as many women as possible and hug the nice ones twice!
    Interesting, you *only* hug me once....

I don't think Scooter has ever hugged me.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    6. Vegas is colder than most people think (at least me) so check the forecast...right now it is below freezing there.
    I went to Vegas this time of year many years ago and it was in the low 60s. Was awesome. Looks like the forecasted highs are only in the 50s this time around.

However, that's much better than the 10 degrees I'm facing right now. Glad I'm in for the night.

Michael

Internet Cowboy
    I distinctly remember at least one Flamingo hug in November and look forward to another one. Anne, the second part of my suggestion is new, so ya'll can expect two now

To keep the tip theme going, two words....comfortable shoes!

I read somewhere that the Sidewalk Cafe at Ballys is one of the most reasonable places for a good meal (around $10, which is cheap for the strip).

Let me second the eye drops, especially if you wear contacts.

By the way, the double decker buses are great, only about $5 for an all day ticket, but when I was there in November I saw people walking faster than the buses. You'll spend more time at bus stops letting people get on and off than actually moving.

The monorail is great, but it's not near anything.

Oh, a cab from the airport will cost you over $20. Their are shuttles from the airport that are about a quarter of that price.

Carry lots of $1's in your pockets. It is tradditional to tip cab drivers, the folks that check your bags, etc.

Sleep 72 hours straight before you come! There will be no time to sleep in Vegas. Then sleep 72 hours when you get home.

And, yes, make sure you get one of Loxly's hugs. Highly recommended!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    I am looking for tips: Is there usually presentation material handed out, or can DVDs be ordered later? Brains and s only absorb so much the first time around.
    We will post presentations from all speakers who give us permission. Generally, most say we can post them.

Also, we are video-taping all of the sessions, and after the videos are cleaned up, they will be made available to attendees. No extra cost - it's part of your pass.

They will not be for sale to anybody else.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

ABW Ambassador
    Lightbulb Set Financial Goals
    You should be able to recover the full cost of your trip, many times over, by talking to the right people face to face.

Mr. Mackin
    mackin@makemetop.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    To keep the tip theme going, two words....comfortable shoes!
    Can anyone suggest some comfortable dress shoes?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Can anyone suggest some comfortable dress shoes?
    Check out the Fitzwell line Michael. I just got the style Earl and they are very nice for the money. If you really want comfort and don't mind paying the price, Mephisto is the way to go. I have several pair of their casual shoes and they rock, but they are pricey.

Hmmm. I might have to go shopping for shoes this week. Thanks for the tips everybody.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Steer clear of people with smiley underwear
    I am wearing it again, just for you Anne !!!
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

http and a telephoto
    Awe... thanks everyone for adding me to your lists

But hugs don't count as a bribe to keep you off AffiliatesGoneWild.com
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    My tips are fairly simple and most have posted the basics so I will focus on maximizing your ROI while there.

1) Echo the business cards, I would highely suggest though min 1,000 cards, you should hand them out to whomever is withing 3 feet of you. (More on this below)

2) Whatever you are spending to get yourself there should be seen as an investment in yourself, in your business. Don't go with the attitude of checking it out, the observer attitude. Be the one that makes things happen.

3) Anyone with a lanyard and a badge is approachable, they are there for business. If they don't make the first move, you should. A simple "Hello, i'm Andy from ARC" breaks the ice and begins the 2 min elevator speech. Take the initiative and have a card in your hands visible and they will do the same.

4) You never know who you meet and what role they will play in your business or professional life down the road. Make contact, be assertive and plant your seeds. I learned in sales a long time ago, "Never leave a rock unturned, you never know from where your next sale will come from" Same with affiliate marketing relationships...

5) Do plan to take a spending budget with you if you are a merchant or OPM. Buy drinks, treat lunch or dinner for your friends and colleagues, it will come back to you 10 fold.

6) Sleep. Can't strees that enough. Vegas doesn't sleep. I learned affiliate marketers don't either. Expect long nights, into the wee hours, 4 am - 5 am is not uncommon. It is in those hours that relationships and friendships bond and get closer. If you plan on going tobed at 11 or 12 am, you will miss out on the most productive part of the summit. This buss is all about relationships.

7) If you forget all the above, have fun !!!!!!
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Great Tips Folks...
    Thanks Every one for your tips
    Cheers,

Harry.
    Mondera Affiliate Manager
    http://www.mondera.com/affiliate_support/
    Winner of the LinkShare 2004 Golden Link Awards "Affiliate's Choice Award"
    Winner of the 2002 Abestweb.com "Best Affiliate Program Award"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast