Losing with adwords
    Hi,

I used adwords for the past four months and are losing money but still willing to go with it.

I need some help with these two questions.

1) If I used all my keywords as exact, i.e placing the brackets [keywords], do I still need to place negative keywords.

2) For the display url, I place my website url but on the keywords I direct them to merchants pages. Is this accepatble.

Thanks
    Richard

Not sure on #1, but I would assume that the brackets would eliminate the need for "negative" keywords, while the quotations wouldn't.

On #2, DTM (Direct to merchant) PPC varies by advertiser, and in fact, I was just researching this at Shareasale. It's very difficult to tell who allows it, as many of the affiliate agreements don't mention PPC at all, even though SAS has gone above and beyond to allow merchants to easily communicate their wishes here.

However, Google will more than likely kill those campaigns (at least per their TOS) since the Display URL doesn't match the Destination URL. The Top level domain must be the same.

The campaign will launch ok, but they will catch up with it and shut it down eventually. I've read that even merchants who try to mismatch those two on sites where they happen to own both have to ask Google to allow it.

Now, we need Donuts to step in and speak on this, as he's the expert.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Hi Noth, thanks for the reply.

Actually I did ask the AM/Merchant whether they allow me to direct to their pages and they have no objection, but, I did not think about the display url until recently, thinking all the while that placing my site url is good enough.

Thanks
    Richard

Exacts do not need negatives, because nothing else can match them except precisely the keywords within the square brackets - however trying to find the definitive answer within the AdWords help files is not as easy as it should be

however trying to find the definitive answer within the AdWords help files is not as easy as it should be
    I realise that also, I had gone through several times and still cannot get it right.

Thanks
    Richard

Google is allowing only one ad per domain name. If a company could just create new domains to list in the display URL slot they could get around that. It's not going to work for long.

Internet Cowboy
    By sending them to the merchant's page directly you are competing with them in PPC. Sometimes you can do this profitably, but if the merchant is sharp at PPC it is more profitable to send them to your page first then have them click through to the merchant. My experience is that most merchants leave plenty of holes in their PPC for good PPC affiliates to make money.
    Keep in mind that some merchants are just hard to make money with on PPC. If their site doesn't convert well or their price is high or whatever, you can have a beautiful campaign set up and it just doesn't work out.
    Don't get stuck losing money, try other merchants, try other areas. There are too many areas where you can make money to dwell on the losers for too long.
    Running all exact keywords will theoretically provide the best ROI, but this is not always true. There are a zillion factors to consider, but a mix of ad groups with exact, phrase and broad match will provide the best overall picture in my experience. Be sure to use good negative keywords. Write lots of ads for each ad group. Monitor each ad's CTR over a period of time. If you have enough experience to know what works best in the ads you need not create lots of ads, but it is always best to make several and delete the lower CTR ads over a period of time. On G and MSN, increasing CTR of search ads will lower the price of your clicks. Content ad CTR is not a factor for quality. I hope that helps.

And don't forget very precise landing pages in your advertising. If you can at all help it don't land on home pages or categories. Land on products.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

There are too many areas where you can make money to dwell on the losers for too long
    So if you would like to give a merchant a try and they have thousands of products how would you choose? Name brand, high or low dollar value, cheap keywords, or what? The number of possibilities is a little overwhelming.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    So if you would like to give a merchant a try and they have thousands of products how would you choose? Name brand, high or low dollar value, cheap keywords, or what? The number of possibilities is a little overwhelming.
    You're right, it is overwhelming. Find something you know about so you can come up with a good selection of keywords. It is not the keywords that everyone else targets that will make you the best money, it is the obscure ones.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enginez
    Exacts do not need negatives, because nothing else can match them except precisely the keywords within the square brackets - however trying to find the definitive answer within the AdWords help files is not as easy as it should be
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Google is allowing only one ad per domain name. If a company could just create new domains to list in the display URL slot they could get around that. It's not going to work for long.
    Any merchant trying this should be prepared to be banned from adwords when caught. In that light, it's not worth doing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    My experience is that most merchants leave plenty of holes in their PPC for good PPC affiliates to make money.
    Amen to that brother! :-)

Monitor each ad's CTR over a period of time. If you have enough experience to know what works best in the ads you need not create lots of ads, but it is always best to make several and delete the lower CTR ads over a period of time. On G and MSN, increasing CTR of search ads will lower the price of your clicks.
    Yes, yes, yes!

Content ad CTR is not a factor for quality.
    True! Others reading this should interpret as... you can try video ads, banner ads, heavy imps for text ads that will show up all over the place and the relatively low clicks rates do not hurt you. UncleScooters giving you a gem here. Work hard to get high CTRs on G search and search network, but on the content network, for now, reach out anbd grab for clicks everywhere using all the methods G provides. It doesn't always work well - cuz people are browsing, not shopping - but in some niches it's AMAZING how much cheap traffic you can get. Be careful with your budget, but feel free to make mistakes in content advertising regarding performance because there's no penalties involved other than low roi if you target poorly or overbid or don't use budget limits. Make some banner ads and some video ads if you are able to and bid them cheap.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great feedback.

I just started a new campaign following the great advices and will be testing the results with a new merchant. I will start with one ad group with many ads and create more specific product pages for more ad groups as I go along.
    Will see the initial results in one month's time.

Thanks
    Richard

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread