Has anyone ever come across a WEB site that can turn Alexa Traffic Ranking into unique visitors? I had a quick look and couldn't find anything

So I created this http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/alexa/index.php

You can now see just how many visitors your competitors are getting

The problem is I've only got a few points on the graph (about 20 at time of writing), so please submit your data anonymously

I just love graphs, me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Your stats will always be wildly off. I run a pretty popular site, not accordingly to alexa - because my users abhor any spyware or monitoring in any form.

Alexa does not have such a dominate market coverage to make the numbers anyone submits reliable.

ABW Ambassador
    Have to agree with Chez Noir on this one -- there are way too many variables for the raw data to be reliable.

Actually I'm finding it more and more accurate as our site gets busier. I've gotten a lot of independant data points tha suggest that it is fairly accurate.

Haiko, what are your daily uniques?

ABW Ambassador
    Well I added the data for you, as requested, but I'm going to give you some additional info to illustrate how Alexa can be inaccurate. (but within the ball park, yes.)

I track our Alexa ranking and daily visitors pretty well. 30 days ago, we were at 94,476 ranking and doing 1,126 per day (avg. over 30 days). But now, the most recent ranking shows us at 54,276, but our traffic is actually down to 943/day. (avg. over past 14 days)

So our rank went up big time, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but our daily visitors actually went down. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] It could be seasonal (vacations) or back to school (Which we have a hard time with on our site.) Or it could be a bunch of new visitors we have added Alexa to their browser. We don't promote it on our site, so it'd just be coincidence if that happened.

Which brings up another way the system can be inaccurate... if you promote Alexa on your site, more of your visitors will use it and thus your site will be boosted compared to sites that don't promote Alexa. Obviously this contributes to Alexa's #7 position. Which they acknowledge with their disclaimer. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Please note: The traffic ranking for alexa.com is inflated because users of the Alexa Toolbar are disproportionately likely to visit our site. )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another problem I have with Alexa is that we were not included in their movers and shakers list! You'd think going from 94K to 54K would get us noticed! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But here's one we can all probably agree on and get a laugh:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Go.com is Walt Disney's Internet portal with branded content including ESPN, ABCNews and Disney. Search is provided by Overture which offers less than satisfactory paid results.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had to laugh at that!

These are all very interesting and valid points which, if you don't mind, I will mention on the site in the future.

I only have 20 points of data and hope the graph develops as I add more and more.

In the end the graph may only be useful to compare like with like, so that two anti spy ware sites may not fit the graph but it may be able to indicate at least a degree of relative popularity.

Or perhaps a series of graphs might work under different headings like Business, Entertainment, Software ect

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: Joker ]

ABW Ambassador
    I use a script on my pages for logging visitors. Since using it my Alexa rank almost halved on some of my sites. Could Alexa be counting the retrieval and writing of data using my script as an extra visitor?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Alexa doesn't track bookmark links and those are absolutely the best traffic you'll ever get...repeat customers who find value in your web site. Have u=you anti-spyware guys seen the new frontpage at www.parasitware.com? Haiko has made that into a must link page for you guys.

John,

Our Alexa Ranking is 5,506 but we only get about 10K uniques a day.

======

Mike,

Thanks for the kudos on the parasiteware.com update [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Haiko

Alexa takes three months worth of traffic. They update their rankings sporadically so it is hard to tell which three months.

Three months is a really wierd time frame because it tends to exacerbate seasonal patterns - such as back to school, skiing, holiday shopping, etc. Even if your site is not seasonal, your ranking can be unstable because of the large number that are.

Also, Alexa does not just measures uniques. They also try to take into account pageviews. Remember in the olden days, Alexa ONLY ranked by pageviews. Just withni the last few months have they introduced the idea of reach. Nobody outside of Alexa knows exactly how they combine pageviews and uniques into a ranking.

Finally, Ecomcity.com why the heck do you think Alexa cannot track bookmarks (or type-ins for that matter)? It is a browser plug-in and to the my understanding doesn't even record how you arrived at a page (though it could). The Alexa-bar just sends the URI back to Alexa-HQ as you visit pages.

Hey, I really think this project is cool. Anything we can do to raise the awareness of this project so that more people dump in their data.

We had access to a product called Hitbox Benchmarker for a month or so on one of our BIG competitors. I can tell you that they do about 30,000 uniques a day and their Alexa ranking is 2,470 or so.

I realize Alexa is wildly wrong on some sites. But I don't need an exact number for most people...I think it's a useful bullsh*t detector. We get some partners who claim lots of stuff and have rankings of 2 million. Suffice it to say, if your ranking is 2 million, you're not doing a lot of traffic.

It also helps us keep an eye on our competitors. We can see one that is coming on strong because of their alexa ranking.

Doesn't the curve have to be exponential? Flat line makes no sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Bresee:
    Doesn't the curve have to be exponential? Flat line makes no sense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a curve, both axis are logarithmic.

Have updated graph, Thank you for all your data [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: Joker ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joker:
    [QB]These are all very interesting and valid points which, if you don't mind, I will mention on the site in the future.

I only have 20 points of data and hope the graph develops as I add more and more.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. have at it. I have several sites' data that I can enter for you since we manage/admin about 40 in addition to our own. You want me to just enter them using the page above?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AffJus:

Sure. have at it. I have several sites' data that I can enter for you since we manage/admin about 40 in addition to our own. You want me to just enter them using the page above?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes either enter it on the page or mail me which ever (got about 35 points now)

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, I've added several more for you. One thing you might mention on your page, where people enter the data is to enter unique hosts, not "hits" or "page hits". Also, if a site is a depository for jpgs, mov, avi, gifs, etc, any files that can be called from a remote site, those will show up as "unique hosts" (calling just the file, but not a page, aka "bandwidthbandits") and will skew the results also.

ummm...have y'all checked out Jungle Scan.

It allows you to create a portfolio of sites that you want to track on alexa. interesting.

Added mine.

This page might give you some useful info:
    http://www.comscore.com/news/csmmx_j...p50_081902.htm

comScore Media Metrix
    U.S. Top 50 Internet Properties
    Unique Visitors
    July 2002 Measurement Period (07/01/02 – 07/31/02)

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread