Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Woman died holding wee for Wii
    A lady died from holding her wee while trying to win a Nitendo Wii. The woman, Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova.

She was taking part in “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest in which KDND 107.9 radio station promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner. Contestants were required to consume as much water while not going to the toilet. Initially, contestants were handed 8-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes. Then they were given much bigger bottles, as another contestant claimed after drinking five 8 ounce bottles.

A preliminary investigation found evidence of “consistent with a water intoxication death”, as declared by the assistant Coroner.

...Lesson to Learned: “If you go to go, you got to go”.

http://skewe.wordpress.com/2007/01/1...g-wee-for-wii/

The things that promotors and contestants will do is unbelievable.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/rowdyjrt]Rowdy Jack Russell Terrier[/URL]

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    That station should go flipping bankrupt now! There are dense contestants, I agree. But without stupid promotions, there would've been no incentive to do such things as above...

http and a telephoto
    Goes to show you too much of ANYTHING is bad for you....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I had actually either read or seen something on tv when they were talking about how many glasses of water you should drink and the fact that too much could kill you was mentioned. Agree that you'd think the person should realize something's not right but guess there are evidently people out there that don't think. Would think too much of anything would be bad for ya. Couldn't live with myself if I was that promoter ....definitely should not be encouraging people to do stupid things like that.

Evolution in action.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

I hope they get sued bigtime for running such a dangerous contest!

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I am surprised with the many cases of death from over hydration and the readily available information available about the dangers of drinking too much that the station did not know better. This one will definitely whet an attorneys appetite!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Drinking too much water causes an unhealthy dilution of sodium and other minerals in the body. If I drank as much water as I (occasionaly) drink beer, I might be dead?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Agree that you'd think the person should realize something's not right
    She probably did feel sick, but didn't realize just how serious it could get.

Usually I'm hard on nonthinking types, but I can see how a "regular Jane" person could miss the knowledge that too much water can be deadly. That fact seems to only be mentioned in "weird news" stories like this, or in connection with some athletic events...it's not a well-known or common-sense thing like "don't eat rat poison" is.

Animal Lover
    The article I read said that she did tell her supervisors that she felt sick (very bad headache) and went home and that was the last they saw of her. Her mother found her that night dead.

I can't believe people would do things like that...but then again there are people who eat puffer fish and there are those who die every year doing it despite knowing the possible dangers.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

I truly thought this was some kind of new urban legend until I found the story on CNN myself.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    there are people who eat puffer fish and there are those who die every year doing it despite knowing the possible dangers
    True but generally places that serve blowfish are licensed to do so and chefs preparing such a delicacy are aware of the possible dangers. However, it's only when you eat too much of it (ordering more than you're given) when it could be lethal.

On another note, I remember a case of a woman drinking 3 litres of Coke each day and ending up with a stomach ulcer. She sued them and won. Couldn't understand why at all... So, there are people who think that Coke is sold to drink crazy amounts.

Guess the mgmt at the station is covering their ass now.
    Bad planning, bad execution and stupid guest = Death + BIG lawsuit
    Sheriff investigates radio contest death
    U.S. sheriff opened an investigation Wednesday into the death of a 28-year-old woman who died after taking part in a California radio contest in which contestants had to drink as much water as possible.

Sacramento station KDND-FM has fired 10 staff members over Friday's competition, called "Hold your wee for a Wii," in which about 20 people tried to out-drink each other without going to the toilet to win a Nintendo Wii games console.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/17/rad...eut/index.html

Well apparently she drank 50 pints of water - that's 50! If I drank that I would be a different shape - I think I'd notice.

Heard today that 10 empoyees had been sacked.

She didn't desreve to die at all or even be harmed in any way, but we do have some degree of responsibility for ourselves, the world in some parts has become too distorted.

there was a case here in the UK a few years ago where a radio station (coincidentally) had a competition where contestants sat on ice as long as they could. However instead of water ice, freezing point 0C, some prat ordered dry ice, freezing point -78C. They sat on it and their arse and legs went numb - then developed frostbite:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2657469.stm

so they sat there for ages as they thought they might win.

Nothing is free... even wee (I mean Wii)

Promotional Gimicks of Advertising professionals have never ceased to amuse me. People are going at great length to promote their products. But, the thing is, these professionals should consider safety and health measures when they play and manipulate the vulnerability of their patrons.
    Now, this organizer has to learned the lesson of being responsible in a hard way.

Poor little girl that she is... she was lured and blinded with Nintendo Wii video game system drowning herself at the same time with 8 ounce of bottle water!

The girl should have thought a thousand times before geting into the contest. Otherwise she's still alive by now.

Wow. That's something else. Though it does amaze me how the word "free" will make people do amazing things. I wonder if they really consider what they're giving up to get that "free" product? I don't think a couple hundred dollar game system is worth the price of walking around with a full bladder all day.

My heart goes out to the victim and her family. Recently there was legal action taken against two parents who used drinking water as a form of punishment which resulted in the death of one of their adopted children. I consider myself fairly educated, but that was the first I'd heard of water consumption being lethal.

While the radio station certainly isn't blameless, I think this was one of those freak things that happens. You gotta' admit, the name of the promo was pretty entertaining. Not worth the prize, but pretty entertaining. Man, what a mess...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread