Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Niger NGO to sue US Govt. for 2 billion dollars
    (corrected, thank Zeus) Something new from Niger. Niger is Nigeria's neighbour and world's third-largest producer of Uranium.

SOME 30 non-governmental organisations in Niger said overnight they are going to sue the United States for nearly two billion dollars for "unfairly accusing" Niger of selling uranium to the late Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein.
    "Our lawyers are about to file a lawsuit against the US calling for damages of about 1000 billion CFA francs ($2.42 billion dollars) for the harm suffered" by the country, Moustapha Kadi, president of the Collective of organisations in Niger defending the right to energy (CODDAE).

The lawsuit by the collective will be filed at either French or Belgian courts, Kadi added.

In January 2003, US President George W. Bush accused Saddam of having bought uranium from Niger to make weapons of mass destruction.

The Niger collective said in a statement that investigations by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), world media and US officials, all concluded that it was a "false accusation" against Niger.

That false information was used by Bush "to invade Iraq," said the collective's statement, which also called for support from Niger's President Mamadou Tandja, who back in 2003 said the US allegations were "harming Niger's image".

Source:
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...7-1702,00.html
    Last edited by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe; January 14th, 2007 at 10:01 AM.

15 years and counting
    Eric, just fyi, Niger and Nigeria are two different countries, both located in Africa but with quite different background.

Niger is a landlocked sub-Saharan country in Western Africa, named after the Niger River. It borders Nigeria and Benin to the south, Burkina Faso and Mali to the west, Algeria and Libya to the north and Chad to the east. The capital city is Niamey.

Nigeria is a country in West Africa and the most populous country in Africa. Nigeria shares land borders with the Republic of Benin in the west, Chad and Cameroon in the east, Niger in the north, and borders the Gulf of Guinea in the south. The capital city is Lagos.

I spent some time in both countries, but was very happy to leave Nigeria. The country selling Uranium is Niger, Nigeria is known as an oil producing country.

Talking
    Zeus, I did not catch that. Nor did i know that there is a country by the name of Niger. Thanks for the correction. I will make changes to title. Always learning something everyday

Looks like you travelled a lot and that got me looking up Niger
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger

15 years and counting
    I know it because I went there. But, believe me, you don't want to spend your vacation in these countries. Lagos is (in my opinion) the worse place on earth. And I'm not talking of Nigerian spammers.

I assume that you were there on work? Unfortunately, the govt(s) is all messed up and with warlords, corruption, wars, etc, the dirt poor are suffering.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    I assume that you were there on work? Unfortunately, the govt(s) is all messed up and with warlords, corruption, wars, etc, the dirt poor are suffering.
    Imagine selling aircrafts in such countries. Don't get me started on corruption...

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    One of my college profs was from Nigeria. He told me a few stories and I saw the bullet scars on his back and chest. The place is a horror show. (I don't know a blessed thing about Niger.)

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    One of my college profs was from Nigeria. He told me a few stories and I saw the bullet scars on his back and chest. The place is a horror show. (I don't know a blessed thing about Niger.)
    If I was telling some of my stories in Nigeria, nobody would believe me anymore. What you see there is ...unbelievable.

ABW Ambassador

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread