Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Let's call a truce and
    I wanted to tell you a little story about the last summit in Orlando.

I was standing outside watching a rainstorm just out the conference area doors. Standing next to me was a person with a badge that said they were from ABW. I engaged the person and said "hi, I'm Jim Kukral, I see you're from ABW, what's your screen name?"

The person looked at me snidely and said "I know you who you are and I'm not going to say." And they walked away from me with my jaw on the pavement.

I'm not going to name that person (who I later found out who they were by asking around), if that person wants to come forward here they can, otherwise it will remain a mystery.

But if you do come forward, I would like to know... what's up? Why the cold shoulder?

I "left" ABW about 3 or 4 years ago. By "left" I mean I stopped participating, partly because of my job and I couldn't say things I wanted to say, and partly because I felt a bit betrayed by some here, especially considering all the love and support I gave ABW during the early days.

Many of you may not know this, but I was a very early member, and participant, and EXTREME vocal advocate to ABW. Nobody can question that. And I meant it, and I still think ABW is a great community. Actually, I would argue there was no stronger advocate and vocal voice for ABW during those earlier days than I was. Ok, maybe a few, but if you look back the record stands. I used to pimp ABW hard!

But that brings me to why I am writing this. I know why I "left", but I don't know why ABW'ers feel any type of animosity towards me (example above). I don't get it. Because I took over ReveNews? Because I felt betrayed by some unwarranted and untrue remarks about me? Can you blame me for leaving?

So in the true spirit of collaboration, I call a truce to the entire ABW community, even if I wasn't at war with you, you might have been with me?

At the summit, I want to meet you. I want to talk to you. I want you to find me and tell me why you hate me. lol. Heck, I want you to maybe come blog at ReveNews. Let's be friends, because there's no reason we shouldn't?

And I promise this in return. I promise to add ABW back into my reads and list for participation. I promise to begin to promote ABW again as I used to. I promise to be loyal and fair, if you do as well. Time truly does heal all wounds.

Looking forward to seeing you next week in Vegas.
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

Internet Cowboy
    Well consider me educated. I didn't know this. I have sensed some tensions between ABW and others in the industry.
    I am a regular Revenews reader and leave a comment from time to time.
    ABW is a great community. It can be said that some here are quick to judge or form baseless opinions, but isn't that the case anywhere you have an a number of people? These are human traits right? There is as much noise here as there is anywhere else. It's all about sorting through it.

Your request for a truce apparently stems from issues I either missed or before my ABW days. I say rock on! See ya in Vegas.

I am interested in hearing more from the veterans about any beefs that are going on. Either here in public, via PM, or pull me aside in Las Vegas. I have never had anything but great experiences here - and I don't know of anybody that is just outright evil like.

Find me affiliatemakeover and let's exchange cards.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

It's an interesting facet of the internet. While I certainly support the right of any member here to remain anonymous, doesn't that right in part dissolve when you meet someone in person?

I guess if you wish to remain anonymous, you should stay on the internet, and NOT go to the Aff Summit. But that's just my opinion.

Furthermore, I've gotten into debates with more than one ABW member in the past, but I consider it BUSINESS. There isn't a person on this board whose hand I wouldn't shake, or buy a drink, or whatever. I don't have any personal issues with anyone I've criticized in the past. I may not agree with their business strategy or methodolgy, but that ends in business.

I would encourage anyone to open a dialogue with people they don't agree with. It's the only way understanding develops. And if it means saying "I HATE the way you do business", so be it.

I'll back up in person anything I've said here, and I would expect anyone else who goes to a networking event to do the same.

Anonymity belongs on the web. When you put a name tag on and venture into public, it changes.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    I agree with Jim, if you don't like me, come tell me why We don't go to Summit to just see the people we like, but to engage others in the industry in conversation. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree, but still can be friends. Or not. But at least we know the "real story" by talking in person and looking at a person's face. The internet is faceless, in person you can't pull the wool over my eyes...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "I felt a bit betrayed by some here, especially considering all the love and support I gave ABW during the early days."

Don't know what that's about, that might explain some of the digs you've taken over the years. So I think a truce would be great and hopefully will see you participate here and not just here to recruit bloggers since there is a lack of it at Revenews recently.

"Heck, I want you to maybe come blog at ReveNews."

http://www.revenews.com/jimkukral/archives/002586.html

Truce is good.

For the record, it wasn't Trust who snubbed me in Orlando. But geez, talk about passive aggressive Jonathan? I mean, I come back here throwing an olive branch and you come here to tell me I'm recruiting?

I turn down 5 writers a week, there's no need to recruit. Here we go again??? lol
    Jim Kukral

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    No problem Jimbo - I'll be happy to say hello in Las Vegas. Everyone here knows my name is Alan Hamilton. Being as I am not anonymous here at ABW, I was thinking of throwing in a different twist at the Summit. Maybe I will white out my name tag and go anonymous at the Summit.

As for the truce issue or people not liking you, hey - There are over 5 billion people in the world now, and not every one of them will ever like every one else, so don't sweat the small stuff. If you meet someone who doesn't like you or gives you the cold shoulder, there's 4,999,999,999 more to take their place!!

Welcome back to the cyber fitness center!!

Alan Hamilton

Oops, strike that name and just call me Sue!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Jim,

I can say as someone who is newER to the affiliate marketing business, that I knew none of this.

I read both ABW and Renenews religiously, so I look forward to meeting with all of you in Vegas.

Honestly, it is going to be hard to get any work done this week as I anticipate the Summit!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    Your work this week IS getting ready for Summit

Good thread Jim. Let's all try to get along... dialog and communication are the keys...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Your work this week IS getting ready for Summit
    Touche lox...touche. I did figure that affiliates still want to be paid this week though. among other things
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by affiliatemakeover
    For the record, it wasn't Trust who snubbed me in Orlando. But geez, talk about passive aggressive Jonathan? I mean, I come back here throwing an olive branch and you come here to tell me I'm recruiting?

I turn down 5 writers a week, there's no need to recruit. Here we go again??? lol
    Just sent you an email.

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Jim,

I'm struggling to remember the causes of some people's beef with you - it was all along time ago ! Which means that whatever the issues were, they should be long forgotten.

The simple fact is that professionals in this industry act professionally towards one another. The other fact is that not everyone in this industry is professional either in attitude or outlook. I know it's extremely irritating when someone blanks you for no good reason, but you can't let it become an issue.

On an unrelated note: I might be interested in blogging for ReveNews. How do I apply ?

FWIW, It was Jim who huffed away during his last cameo appearance http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...&postcount=160

Those Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It, but never fear ... there is a search feature
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Oh heck, I got mad several years ago because a Tuna caserole came out badly. (yes, alright, I used too little water!) Thankfully there WAS no internet back then or I would have been black-balled for life by the food network

Occasionally we are all capable of saying something (we later regret) or blowing something out of proportion. It's human and so is a do - over

But Jim I have to be honest with you here. I know this is not something that you are going to want to hear, but sometimes what you NEED to hear and what you WANT to hear are two different things. With that in mind, I want you to take this in the positive - constructive spirit in which it is intended.

Those sunglasses are not right for you. With you facial features you should consider a little larger lens and go with more of a rectangular frame. The lenses are also very dark so maybe something that is more of an amber shade to break up the dark hair / dark lens thing. You could also consider the John Bolton Silver mustache look. It'd really stand you out!!

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Even so H, I still think the rules change a bit in person...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by affiliatemakeover
    I engaged the person and said "hi, I'm Jim Kukral, I see you're from ABW, what's your screen name?"
    I'm not going to name that person (who I later found out who they were by asking around)
    You know Jim, not everyone wants to be publically known by their ABW screen name or to have people digging around to connect their ABW screen name to the name that's on their Affiliate Summit badge. Perhaps if you had approached things differently in both your intro and follow on snooping, you'd have made a friend who appreciates your respect of their privacy.

Personally, I find mutual respect to be the concrete foundation that builds deep, long lasting relationships. Friends don't need to agree on everything, but I'd say lack of respect for privacy concerning personal information is certainly a deal killer.

If you see ABW buttons and read the badge they're wearing - and if you can't connect the dots right away, I'd suggest you leave it alone. Introduce yourself and maybe even say "ABW Rocks!", but don't lead with "what's your screen name?" or go snooping later - we affiliates are sometimes little trolls who appreciate our privacy in things we do and share.

In addition to savings tons of time (phone calls, emails, IMs, requests through others), our anonymity at ABW oftens lets us share plenty without fear of peers stepping right into our shoes. I, for example, share a lot of my ppc activity and techniques here at ABW and I wouldn't do this publically at ABW using my real name because there's no burning desire in me to show all I do to my competitors and able peers. By using a handle, I can be a little more generic and still share TONS of good stuff without inviting strangers, lurkers and copycats to rip me off.

So perhaps you hit this persons privacy button with your very first touch and it hit a little nerve. I probably would have reacted in the same manner.

Even here, I see you using Trust's first name in your retorts to him... perhaps I've wasted my breath here explaining the issue as I sense it.

Btw, your Revenews rocks. Every serious affiliate should be visiting it regularly - tons of great stuff there from all corners / segments of our industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    FWIW, It was Jim who huffed away during his last cameo appearance http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...&postcount=160
    Thanks for the welcome back Haiko.
    Jim Kukral

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Those sunglasses are not right for you. With you facial features you should consider a little larger lens and go with more of a rectangular frame. The lenses are also very dark so maybe something that is more of an amber shade to break up the dark hair / dark lens thing. You could also consider the John Bolton Silver mustache look. It'd really stand you out!!

Alan
    LOL. Silver mustache? What am I? Taylor Hicks? No offense taken. I know I'm no Forrest Schaff (does he have the best hair in AM or what?)
    Jim Kukral

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Can't have been me, or maybe it was I was just staying under cover incase any of the nice folks from immigration were in the area

Wish I could hook up with you at the Summit, but certainly track down William from the AMWSO team Jim.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    You know Jim, not everyone wants to be publically known by their ABW screen name or to have people digging around to connect their ABW screen name to the name that's on their Affiliate Summit badge. Perhaps if you had approached things differently in both your intro and follow on snooping, you'd have made a friend who appreciates your respect of their privacy.
    Yeah, I suppose I understand that, but you need to understand I'm not an anonymity guy. So it's like you're speaking french and I'm speaking spanish. What makes sense to me makes no sense to you. So therefore, I don't really get the whole hidden identity thing. It's hard to understand things you don't "get", but I'm trying.

I now know to not ask anyone with an ABW badge who they are. Not that I know hardly anyone any more. There's got to be thousands of new members.

As for writing at ReveNews, again, no I'm not here recruiting. In fact, let me just say we are not bringing on any new writers for a while now.
    Jim Kukral

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Yeah, I suppose I understand that, but you need to understand I'm not an anonymity guy. So it's like you're speaking french and I'm speaking spanish. What makes sense to me makes no sense to you. So therefore, I don't really get the whole hidden identity thing. It's hard to understand things you don't "get", but I'm trying.

I now know to not ask anyone with an ABW badge who they are.
    Now lookie there, we're practically communicating! :-)

Look forward to seeing you in Vegas.

Well Donuts, I guess I can see your POV on this. I would certainly respect your privacy, although it is frustrating to me that folks can hide behind a screen name.

Not so much hide, I guess, but the flip side of the coin is that you really never know who you're talking to, do you? I suppose we have to wait on the affiliate connecting those dots for us...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Jim, others...you had better not ever reveal my ABW screenname or I will get Medieval on you
    Matt McWilliams

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The important thing is to respect the desire for anonymity, whether you ever understand it or not. Leave the "whys" to psychologists.

Just like if someone says, "Don't jump off the top of the Empire State Bldg," you wouldn't insist on jumping anyway, due to the fact that the speaker didn't give you a Newtonian Physics explanation of why not!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast