Question about user ratings and leaks??
    I'm trying not to get obsessed over leaks. If a merchant has fairly obviously listed things near the bottom of their site such as BBB or hacker safe (pretty sure they're not affiliates.....hmmm least I don't think they would be ) and a few others, which are really big places that people probably are familiar with (I have a feeling these would be really big affiliates but not sure) Majority of these don't have links attached to them but my concern is that just one of them does .......which yeap.....you guessed.....it is one of those really big sites and I think probably an affiliate site. Why oh why did that particular one have to be one of the ones with a link from it wouldn't be even asking this question if it woulda just been one of the ones that didn't. But...nope....it had to be one of the ones that does. One of the others that I don't think is an affiliate has a link but since I don't think it's an affiliate...not obsessing with that one.

So.......since a visitor could see that one really big site just sitt'n down there and since it has a link could go and visit that site and then purchase from them since they do have reviews and coupons.....ummm is this something to be concerned about???

Purplebear,

The best reason that a merchant has those links/images is to insure trust in themselves.

They cost quite a bit of money each year to be a part of those organizations and are designed to build more trust with the consumer.

On my site, we are certified hacker safe, do display the badge which is updated daily and while they do have thousands of links to hacker-safe merchants, they are not a affiliate of them. They make plenty of money otherwise .

Same with BBB and a host of others. On the other hand, when a merchant uses sites like Bizrate, their product listings are sent to them just like a Froogle/Base feed. But pay per click an amount varied by category. They are more of a PPC than an affiliate.

Again these ratings do provide the merchant / customer relationship with a better trust factor.

Although leaks can be a problem for most affiliates I believe that these type of leaks are not malicious to you and your tracking. I currently do not use Bizrate, Shopping.com etc... but If I did, the Shareasale click tracking would not be affected by subsequent clicks to these types of sites.

If anyone else has more info regarding other merchants that may be affected by these other listing sites please let us in and advise.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Allen
    Thank you very, very much That definitely makes me feel a whole lot better. Yeap, was pretty sure the hacker safe and bbb wouldn't have been affiliates...even thought about the bbb for my own site til I saw the price. lol. Definitely agree with you it does instill confidence with a visitor.

This part really makes me feel better:
    " Bizrate, Shopping.com etc... but If I did, the Shareasale click tracking would not be affected by subsequent clicks to these types of sites."

The particular one I was concerned about is not one of them but similar.....starts with a P and often seen with those. Shopping.com was listed but was one that didn't have the link so it didn't bother me.

Feel soooo much better knowing the tracking wouldn't be affected. Thank you, thank you, thank you. really appreciate it

See.....I'm not obsessing...didn't take em off of my site or anything yet...I asked questions first.....and now feel much better.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    If it is BBB or Verisign, I would not be concenrned about it at all. I would actually think that it would help an affiliate cos it would create some trust and endoresement for the merchant and help conversion.

As for companies/logo's like Shopping, bizrate, it can be categorized as a leak eventhough it might act as an endorsement. It does help validate the merchant's trustworthyness through review, etc.

>if you send traffic to a consumer (PPC or whatever)
    >> Merchants send that traffic to bizrate
    >>> that traffic gets lost in the price comparison site, it is still a leak.

How big is the leak, nobody would know unless bizrate publishes something. If they would to browse back and buy from the same merchant, you will get the commission. At one time, companies like price grabber, bizrate did work on an AFFILIATE basis as opposed to CPC. Not sure if they do a % basis of sale any more.

My verdict, it is still a leak but a minor one but I think it does help the merchant in conversion as a whole.

Ok Eric you named it not me.... The p site. I agree on the BBB and the others. Think they're good for the sites to have cos visitors will be impressed with that. They didn't have links anyway..(well one did) but not worrying about them. The p site was the only one that had a link attached to it. The others didn't, just the logo. Why only the p site had the link is what confused me. Little confused still now tho after your post since it seems to contradict what I thought Allen was saying.

Allen said: "the Shareasale click tracking would not be affected by subsequent clicks to these types of sites"

My concern is since the p site (which does have some sort of link...not sure it's an affiliate one or not but you can click it and it goes to the site) If a visitor from my site goes to the site then sees the p site, clicks and goes there.....if they purchase from that site.....I still do get the comm. or I don't?? I thought Allen was saying I would but now I'm not sure.

Guess it's confusing me cos why do they have a link for that one but not the BBB or the other site. Wouldn't concern me at all if they had just the logo and no link.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Ok Eric you named it not me....
    Yeah, put the blame on me

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Allen said: "the Shareasale click tracking would not be affected by subsequent clicks to these types of sites"
    I think I confused you. Companies like BizRate or PriceGrabber have worked on a merchant-affiliate basis but as I mentioned, that was quite some time ago and they usually ask for a very high commission, like 20-40%/sale. That is not offered to any merchant though.
    But generally, it is via a CPC method that will not alter the tracking.

But to look at the bigger picture, if you are sending traffic to a merchant, the traffic goes to bizrate and never busy from that merchant, that is a leak at the end of the day.

Hope I did not confuse you more.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread