c) 120 x 60
    d) 120 x 90
    e) 125 x 125
    f) 120 x 600
    g) other (please specify)

Thanks for reading!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Hi, Guess you are new.
    I would suggest using the "SEARCH" function. Please do that as it's been covered a dozen times.

Did some homework for you. 2 of the many threads and poll
    http://forum.abestweb.com/poll.php?d...lts&pollid=679
    http://forum.abestweb.com/poll.php?d...lts&pollid=723

ABW Ambassador
    Found another one with a little more votes, the above had 3 and 8 votes, this one only a little better with 20:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=66235

http://www.iab.net/standards/adunits.asp

468 X 60 Full Horizontal Banner
    125 X 125 Square Banner
    120 X 60 Button
    88 X 31 Micro button
    120 X 600 Skyscraper
    234 X 60 Half Banner
    120 X 90 Button

Those seem to be the most popular (and looking, the sames ones you just mentioned), good to have a wide variety.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Both, good advice It's always interesting to get a current perspective, right

I think we're going to start with the 468x60 and maybe the 234x60... we need to go wide to fit our name... or perhaps we'll just advertise the product types to fit the 120x60 type buttons

http and a telephoto
    I have found you need a complete set of the sizes mentioned above to make affiliates happy. And "current info" on banner sizes isn't going to change much, they need what they need to fit their templates
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Just as loxly stated, you really need a complete set of banners. Every site has different needs and every banner size seems to fill a different purpose.

For example, I only use the larger banners in location where I only intend them to be an advertisement, not to go with any text or endorsement. I just feel that people view them as strictly someone trying to sell them something.

I use the 120 x 60 size in navigation areas. Places where I want to stress a great deal or awesome merchant. I know people will see them in those areas because they need to use the navigation.

I use the 88 X 31 size in my actual pages, where I show product listings or the like. These seem the least like advertising to me. Rather they actually seem to integrate with my own site.

So you really need a wide variety of sizes, in my opinion.

Go with the complete set, at least have one in every IAB size. http://www.iab.net/standards/adunits.asp
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the responses! The poll information helps, but having the reasoning behind your preferences gives me a better understanding. I appreciate it!

728 X 90 is another that I use, though it doesn't seem to be as popular among other affiliates.

The quality of any creative is far more important than its size.

Creatives give that all-important first impression, and so professional design is key. I find it amazing how many reasonable high-budget ad campaigns have such low-quality designs.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bird
    The quality of any creative is far more important than its size...
    Hmmm..... You think?

Quality is important. But I certainly wouldn't say that it is "more important" than a good selection of creatives of various sizes. I'd say these two points are equally important. Ugly banners => little or no traffic, gorgous banners of ugly sizes => little or no traffic.

Just my

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    120x240, pretty please! That size is very useful on pages with certain designs, like a 2 or especially 3 column design where 120x600 is just too long. That's the reason.

I even took one merchant's 120x600 and shortened it to 120x400 myself - works great and it was a simple matter of cropping it down.

And BTW, I've had some people click on a banner and make a purchase, even though there were products on the page. It depends on placement and how handy the "mouseclick" is for the user.

Haven't see you at ABW before, welcome!

Please glance at this;

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=84560

I won't use any banner that has a URL or an 800 number, or any phone number, on it.

I like merchants that have 2 options for each size. One that's blinks and one that doesn't. (Just my personal preference)

Multiple color options are nice too. Getting things to fit as well as being able to stand out (or blend in) is important to some.

I use 88X31 non blinking logos as standard for my merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    120x240, pretty please! That size is very useful on pages with certain designs, like a 2 or especially 3 column design where 120x600 is just too long. That's the reason.
    That is a neat size... I've almost never used the 120x600's on my sites. I might just make some like that this weekend
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bird
    The quality of any creative is far more important than its size.

Creatives give that all-important first impression, and so professional design is key. I find it amazing how many reasonable high-budget ad campaigns have such low-quality designs.
    Much wisdom there DJ.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

120X240 isn't that the "blog standard" now? It is a real fun size!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I have found you need a complete set of the sizes mentioned above to make affiliates happy. And "current info" on banner sizes isn't going to change much, they need what they need to fit their templates
    Hi all,

I agree on this wholeheartedly. Not to say that all the stats on which banner sizes may perform better than others are bogus mind you, just that I've seen plenty of really effective ad campaigns go unused by affiliates simply because the size of the banner wasn't popular with affiliates' personal or site preferences, and on that same token I've seen many banners which had proven to be ineffective in the merchant's other online marketing channels take off big time in terms of conversion simply because the size of the ad was popular with affiliates and therefore the ad got more exposure.

I find our affiliates usually prefer the smaller banners to the big ones. 88x31, 125x125 and 468x60 are still after all these years the most popular ones by far.

The more important thing to remember as an affiliate manager is that affiliates need to be given lots of choice. When running an affiliate program, you're working with all sorts of people with all sorts of types of sites in most cases, you are better to provide a wider variety of creative and allow them that choice rather than to just offer a few "basic" sizes and hope they find what they need from within your links section.

And, some affiliates may want/need custom creative - don't be closed minded to that option. When one of our affiliates needs a custom size that we don't currently offer, we can usually work to get them what they need. After all our affiliates are our bread and butter, next to our customers...

Finally it's important to remember that text links are far more effective at converting sales than banners are anyhow in almost all cases. Banners are great for directing your consumer's attention toward a nice text link presell and for aiding in increased awareness of a brand but text links usually convert better.

Just some food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by e-Gazer
    Hi all,

Finally it's important to remember that text links are far more effective at converting sales than banners are anyhow in almost all cases. Banners are great for directing your consumer's attention toward a nice text link presell and for aiding in increased awareness of a brand but text links usually convert better.

Just some food for thought...
    Yes, I agree with this, but don't forget that from a merchants point of view, banners and rich media can be far more effective in creating brand-awareness.

Affiliate Manager
    Brand (banners) and Content (text links)! Together in harmony! The combination is fantastic. Such good knowledge and advice being shown in here!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread