Wikipedia threat to google??
    The Wikipedia Threat to Google's Empire
    Last month, Google accounted for a staggering 47.3% of all web searches, according to comScore. Naturally, Google's stock is following right in step. It's just off its all time high. However, for all the hype about Google vs. Yahoo et al, Wikipedia quietly looms as a huge threat to Google's dominance.

Google's value will only be upheld as long as it remains the relevance leader - e.g. the quality of its search capabilities. This presents a dilemma. For starters, the Google search engine feeds on Wikipedia to supply much of its most relevant results. It even hosts Wikipedia pages. Meanwhile, Wikipedia is gearing up to challenge Google with its own search engine. And, with the launch today of Wikiseek, it becomes quite clear that you can indeed build a high quality search engine off the collaborative encyclopedia.

What's more, Wikipedia's rise is coming at a time when Google appears to be losing its focus on search. The company in recent months seems to be prioritizing the expansion its advertising empire through pursuits such as the $1.6B purchase of YouTube. Google feels like a very different company than it was just a couple of years ago when search was the focus.

Now Google releases products without any search capabilities whatsoever. Google Spreadsheets lacked search until rev 2 and Google Reader still doesn't have it. At the same time, Google's results feel increasingly littered with spam and irrelevant web sites. The ads it serves are often low quality too.

Meanwhile, Wikipedia, which turned six yesterday, is rising. The number of Wikipedians who have edited ten or more articles continues its hockey stick growth. In October 2006 that number climbed to 158,000 people. Further, media citations rose 300% last year, according to data compiled using Factiva. Last year Wikipedia was cited 11,000 times in the press. Traffic is on the rise too. Hitwise says that Wikipedia is the 20th most visited domain in the US. Let's not forget that Google was once this size too.

Google is surely aware of the dependancy it has on Wikipedia. Perhaps this is why it acquired JotSpot. They may want to have the bricks in place to build a rival to Wikipedia - if that's even possible.

As Wikipedia builds its search capability, adopts a WYSIWYG interface and gets easier to use, more netizens will get comfortable and become editors. Wikipedia's power will rise and soon it will become clear to all that it is an emerging competitor to Google.

Link: http://www.micropersuasion.com/2007/...dia_threa.html
    KK

15 years and counting
    "Wikipedia is gearing up to challenge Google with its own search engine."
    "For starters, the Google search engine feeds on Wikipedia to supply much of its most relevant results." Relevant, relevant as an encyclopedia, that's it.
    "Google is surely aware of the dependancy it has on Wikipedia." So, it's not good.

Google don't need Wikipedia. IMHO, Wikipedia is taking too much valuable space in Google SERPs. It's dumb for Wikipedia to try to compete with Google.
    I'll be happy to see them banned or let's give them just ONE link for Wikipedia. I'm too often just behind them for very valuable keywords.

I gotta say, though wikipedia is useful, I only trust it as far as I can throw it so to speak.

I think a mass edited, un-fact-checked database of "articles" is a bad basis for a search engine.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    I gotta say, though wikipedia is useful, I only trust it as far as I can throw it so to speak.

I think a mass edited, un-fact-checked database of "articles" is a bad basis for a search engine.
    I dunno, compared to grossly out of date data from a database that prides itself on it's inability to process data in a reasonable timeframe, I think it might have a shot.

But, then, google does have a lot of money....... I wonder if Googipedia.com is taken.....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hmm not sure about that, either.. Having many control info distribution is better any day than having a few control it.

ABW Ambassador
    "Wikipedia quietly looms as a huge threat to Google's dominance."

Who wrote that nonsense. Along with the Affiliate Marketing is dead posts that happen from time to time, we get these so and so is going to topple Google. Danny Sullivan slammed it:

http://searchengineland.com/070116-074812.php

They should stick to doing what they've been doing and let the search engines handle search. There also is no market for a new search engine. People are happy with the results they are getting from the search engines already out there regardless of what webmasters/affiliates post on message boards

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i agree with TN1. press people need hyperbole to grab eyes and that's what they've done here.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Wikipedia is as good as youtube.
    User generated content, and it's all free. Not higly accurate though but I use it quite often. And with $$$$ backing from amazon recently, I guess they are pulling ahead in the SERP realm

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I semi-trust Wiki. On the one hand, they do have editors looking over the shoulders of other editors so there are checks and balances. On the other hand SOME editors seem to get away with inserting their opinion where fact should be. I got into a fight with one of them. I kind of enjoyed that. (No, I'm not a Wiki editor.)

As for the article it smacks of tabloid journalism. It should be possible to discuss Google and Wiki's roles in the information dispensation business without making them out to be David and Goliath or Mothra and Godzilla.

I use them both a lot, but for different things.

I think Trust and Donuts are right...

Every day there seems to be another Google killer. Now, I'm sure one day the great G will fall back down to earth, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

What really annoys me is that any keyword you search out, Wikipedia comes up first.
    I search out my own complete domain url and up comes Wikipedia first. If I was Google I would clear them out completely if their plan is to dump on them.

Isn't what wikipedia are planning just what DMOZ used to do? Google used to love them too before they changed their minds.

Wiki need G far more than G need Wiki. I can't see the challenge from the blue-eyed-boy being taken too kindly by G.

I predict wikipedia wont be showing #1 for as many non-commercial searches as it does now.

Google needs a complete FLUSHING! By this a mean to clear out all the garbage and irrelivent sites when one search's out keyword's. They have to get back to true and honest SEARCHING as they were intended to be!

I agree I dont believe any thing that is writen in a wiki so no competetion in my mind.
    Last edited by nyfalcon; January 16th, 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo and spelling
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    Don't think that Google will be clearing up the index any time soon, as it requires many resources and why do that if the current practice is "a bit" lucrative...

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "Wikipedia quietly looms as a huge threat to Google's dominance."

Who wrote that nonsense. Along with the Affiliate Marketing is dead posts that happen from time to time, we get these so and so is going to topple Google. Danny Sullivan slammed it:

http://searchengineland.com/070116-074812.php

They should stick to doing what they've been doing and let the search engines handle search. There also is no market for a new search engine. People are happy with the results they are getting from the search engines already out there regardless of what webmasters/affiliates post on message boards
    Actually, this is how I search now. If I need knowledge, that is, if I am looking for a site where I know I can get actual information rather than a group of keywords and an adsense list which takes me to an affiliate site which takes me to a merchant where I may or may not get the data I need, I simply include wikipedia in the search. So at google, I may search for "saddam wikipedia"

And voila, first result is the specific page within wikipedia where an article can be found on the topic I am interested in.

Now, an argument could be made that, hey, Tom's looking for CONTENT, not shopping, so who gives a rat's hiney, but in general, anything that removes traffic from the primary search engines and into wikipedia reduces the odds of someone getting that ever important cookie onto my site.

Point is, I am using Wikipedia now more than I am google for fast results, and overall I am using wikipedia 10x as much as I was a year ago.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, I like wikipedia too for information, it's on online encyclopedia with a search box. But it's not an internet search engine. A year from now, 2 years from now we can bump this thread with the latest SE usage stats and wikipedia is not going to make any kind of dent into Google, Yahoo, MSN, Ask.com. That roster is set as far as search engines, just like Coke and Pepsi is set as far as cola. There have been many actual search engines in the past, some of the very good that were supposed to take the current leaders on and they did nothing. Do a search for Teoma on this forum. Even in relevancy tests they were up there with Google and Yahoo, they're now merged with Ask.com. So as far as internet search engines go, no threat. But when I look for info myself, I look for the wikipedia link in Google or just go to wikipedia.

http://www.wikiseek.com/

Basically all that is, is taking the search box on Wikipedia and giving it's own domain (notice the clean look resembling Google) and calling it a search engine. It just searches wikipedia and they throw in some Sponsored Search provided by Google.

If you ever need to search a very good online encyclopedia, Wikiseek is for you. If you ever want to search the internet, that's what search engines are for.

Actually, this is how I search now. If I need knowledge, that is, if I am looking for a site where I know I can get actual information rather than a group of keywords and an adsense list which takes me to an affiliate site
    Dang looks like I need a new business model now
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I'd like to see Google or another SE have 3 buttons next to their search text box:

Shop - Learn - Discuss

Have them pull from 3 separate indexes (or 3 weightings anyhow).

Get search back to being keyword driven, and NOT key-semantics driven. Why force the customer to type "buy fishing tackle" when they could just input "fishing tackle" and hit the "Shop" button.

Not a perfect solution, but it's a step in the right direction.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread