Interesting results for top 12 pay per click search engines
    Just came across this post a few minutes ago, and thought I'd share here. I didn't really expect Google to be 3rd in the list overall, but then again, I have no idea who this person doing the testing is - so take it with a grain of salt.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=220349
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, grain of salt.

"The minimum spent at each PPC network was $50, with most of the test running in the $100-$300 range. If it was clear the traffic was not going to convert, I cut the test short, but if it showed some promise I let it run for a while."

There are so many things wrong I wouldn't know where to start. Like that's not enough to get any type of accurate reading. When you do a test, you let it run through, you don't cut it short because it doesn't look good. Ok, great, he found what works for him, what's that got to do with me? There are some people doing PPC that are going to say Yahoo works the best for them, others Google or MSN, doesn't matter what some random blogger thinks. Your own numbers matter.

Recommended: MSN, Yahoo, Google, Searchfeed, Looksmart, Miva

Stay Away From: Adbrite, 7Search, Enhance, Kanoodle, Search 123, Bidvertiser
    I would generally agree with the conclusions, though I would certainly quibble with many of the details he offers (especially his relative traffic numbers). (And I'd certainly move Miva to the "Stay Away" list.)

As I've noted in several other threads, I drew extremely low traffic levels from MSN AdCenter when using the exact same campaigns as on Google AdWords -- even after increasing the MSN bids substantially above the AdWords bid levels. My own ranking would put Google first and Yahoo second; I wouldn't include Looksmart or Miva.

I'm not familiar with SearchFeed, but this recommendation will certainly lead me to take a look at them.

ABW Ambassador
    "Recommended: MSN, Yahoo, Google, Searchfeed, Looksmart, Miva"

I stick to the main ones, Google, Yahoo, MSN. If somebody recommends Miva, I automatically think they're lost. You can just do a search on them here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...highlight=Miva

and other threads on them.

Actually rereading that thread which links to Carten's post over at Revenews and I'll just copy and paste what I posted there a couple of months ago:

"At this point in the game, I'm not sure why anybody messes with the 2nd tier on down."

And comments like this from that blog:

"If my memory serves me right, I don't think I could document a single conversion from Miva in my last test run."

So do your own test with the various PPC search engines out there. They're just like merchants in that it doesn't matter how other people do with them, how you do with them is what counts.

Results will vary based on industry, keywords, & on-page factors as well as by traffic source so it is difficult to really compare unless all things are equal. In short, what works for me might not work for someone else - & vice versa.

In the interest of science, I have also tested most of those listed & the traffic quality varies wildly on all but Google, MSN, & Yahoo which are my favorites (in that order).

Of the second tier ppc engines, I have made money with 7search, enhance, searchfeed, & miva. In many cases, these engines have feeds from each other. I lost my money quickly with some of the others... kanoodle comes to mind.

Keywords which perform acceptably on these second tier networks can turn on a dime. In essence, you really have to watch your campaigns/bids closely. With that in mind, I wouldn't try to work close with these guys. Keeping a healthy margin between your average cost per visitor & revenue per visitor is the only way to ride out the erratic traffic quality & survive a change in traffic quality if not noticed right away.

While (in my experience) there is money to be made on some of the smaller ppc engines, at some point, it comes down to a time/value issue. Is your time better spent monkeying around with their inferior ad management tools and fluctuating traffic quality? ...or would it be better invested in building new content and/or promoting new programs on G, MSN, & Y?

From another perspective, any campaigns on the second tier engines should probably be treated as "plus business" as opposed to "core business". Any/all of the second tier engines could easily dry up & blow away tomorrow. I wouldn't count on them for income needed to pay the mortgage.

I tried miva years ago with no luck.

On another note, google has agreed to show their ads on miva, raising their stock price.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs....76/HOMESCAPE99
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070103/miva_google.html?.v=1

Question
    Does anyone know of any good PPC networks that allow incentivized traffic (pennies)?

The script that my site is based upon has a pay-per-click function but I haven't been able to find any networks that allow me to incentivise.

The script is pretty cool. The member clicks on the banner and then is transferred to the target site in a window where they are free to surf anywhere within that site. When the countdown clock expires (x seconds) then BAM they are credited with the incentive (pennies) and the clock (and upper header window) goes away.

I have non-incentivised footer Bidvertiser ads on my site which are performing reasonably well but they don't allow any sort of incentivisation.

I would really like to find a way to enable my script's incentivised PPC engine.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    pay-to-surf / auto-surf scripts completely disregard the value the paying advertiser seeks from their ad dollar investment. real search engines won't allow incentivized traffic like you describe because it undermines their operation and their reputation. your concern for that is obviously lacking.

and you've taken this thread well off topic and have shown us yet another side of yourself.

and the rule i proposed earlier, in the other 'old thread revived' that you contaminated, would apply here... again.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    pay-to-surf / auto-surf scripts completely disregard the value the paying advertiser seeks from their ad dollar investment. real search engines won't allow incentivized traffic like you describe because it undermines their operation and their reputation. your concern for that is obviously lacking.

and you've taken this thread well off topic and have shown us yet another side of yourself.

and the rule i proposed earlier, in the other 'old thread revived' that you contaminated, would apply here... again.
    Incentivized PPC gives marketing exposure where little or none exists. Especially in this age where the viewer's eyes have been abused and glazed over by decades of spam.

What would you say give's the advertiser or network the better reputation?:

1) Having the ad forced upon the viewer to the point where it becomes an incessant nuisance?, or

2) Giving the viewer THE CHOICE of clicking upon a banner (with a little coaxing ala the incentive.)

That said,

"'old thread revived' that you contaminated"

You certainly seem to enjoy applying personal attacks in order to appear more intelligent. Is this what your 5000+ posts attest to? Is this an open and free conversation, or does every new poster have to be subjected to your reign of terror? You seem to have a snyde remark for almost every post I have made to date.

Yes, your behavior proves to me that you are indeed "heavy on the nuts" (though lacking some other crucial part of the thinking and/or feeling anatomy.)

Hereafter, lets assume that I am not seeking ANY of your little spiked tidbits of wisdom.

Happy 4th Everyone ! See you all at the conference.
    Last edited by SitHomeCash; June 30th, 2007 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SitHomeCash
    You certainly seem to enjoy applying personal attacks in order to appear more intelligent. Is this what your 5000+ posts attest to? Is this an open and free conversation, or does every new poster have to be subjected to your reign of terror? You seem to have a snyde remark for almost every post I have made to date.
    Yes, this an open and free conversation. If you'd like, we can take each piece one step at a time and interact reasonably. I offer to let you choose a single question, any question, that we may exhaust before we move on to the next. I offer this because there's so many things being said and inferred, I honestly don't know where to start. If you'd prefer to defer to my choice, let me know, and I'll choose one area we can try to examine together. And I suggest we start a new thread, but will leave that to you.

Hereafter, lets assume that I am not seeking ANY of your little spiked tidbits of wisdom.
    Is this an open and free conversation?
    Nevermind then, on my offer, you have tried to set rules that you cannot, you've univited me and answered your "open and free" question.

Internet Cowboy
    You seem to have a snyde remark for almost every post I have made to date.
    Come here and make thread after thread about the same topic, which is a topic relating to what many consider the sleazy side of our industry, and you will get plenty of snide remarks.

Don't feel singled out. All of the other threads here (and there are hundreds) relating to the problems associated with paying people who have no intent to buy anything money to fill out a lead form get the same scrutiny and snide remarks. One of these days you guys will realize this is not sustainable and only stupid, misinformed advertisers allow it and that pool is rapidly shrinking and maybe you will come up with a more realistic business model.

I think I speak for Donuts, and many others here, when I say we are tired of all the drama you guys create when your fake leads are realized as such and you are not paid.

See ya in Miami!

Amen. I'll scream if I have to read one more "you big scam network, pay me my money" posts.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Come here and make thread after thread about the same topic, which is a topic relating to what many consider the sleazy side of our industry, and you will get plenty of snide remarks.
    ... ...See ya in Miami!
    To each his/her own. It all depends upon one's own perspective. From my perspective, yes, there are many "sleazy" sectors of the marketing industry of which I am not a participant.

I am not attempting to debate every self-appointed expert to the undeserved delight of their ego. (there are no correct answers if it doesn't come out of their own mouth) ...an obvious waste of time and effort that could be put to more fruitful tasks.

If anyone ever wants to TRULY be responsive to my original question please feel free to email me (yes, I have it enabled.)
    Last edited by SitHomeCash; July 1st, 2007 at 08:00 PM.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread