Question About Billboard Advertising
    Hey all, I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this so I hope that it has not been asked yet. Has anyone ever tried to promote an affiliate site (a very category-specific one at that) locally on a billboard, and if so what kind of luck did you have. Here's my thoughts...

I live in a mid-size city and there are some good billboard spots available for just a few hundred a month. Personally, I was thinking about advertising one of my websites that has affiliate links/coupons for Dell, but this scenario could be for any site really. My question is is anyone has tried it and how it worked for them. Thanks in advance!

-ajcannon

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see a problem advertising your own site. If you also want to use merchants you partner with, you need to get their permission for that type of thing. And if they're cool with, go for it.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    If I was you I'd put the coupons/links on your own site, and drive people there to get them. Double win for you, you get branding for your own site (make sure you have an email signup form), and you don't risk the driver going direct to merchant and cutting your link out.

If you can get big ads for that low of a rate, I would definitely do it. If you do, please post here with your results? Good luck.
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

Dell's product line has universal appeal, but I think I'd rather find something else to promote that paid much better. And had less chance of the commission being diverted.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    My first thought is that if you spent the same amount monthly on driving traffic through ppc etc that you would get more traffic to your site than a billboard that leaves it open to consumers bypassing your site in favor of the merchant - but I've honestly never tried a billboard to drive traffic so if you do it - it will be interesting to see how you make out.

Good luck with this.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Online Marketing Consultant
    BE VERY CAUTIOUS!!!!

If they see the coupons then go driectly to dell the cookie is neverplaced and you jight not get a commission unless Dell assigns different codes etc... to all affiliates. Your best bet would be to drive them to your site from it by saying find 20 and 30% off deals etc... on companies like Dell..... etc... on www dot blahblahblah dot com and find someone who is good at bilboard advertising.

The second problem you are now going to run into is if you are not familiar with graphic design and media planning/buying/adcreation. Billboards are huge and require extremely large files if you are going to use graphics.

1. Make sure all of your graphics and can stretched beyond belief without pixelation
    2. Make sure you have all legal rights to the graphics
    3. Vectorize everything you possibly can within the ad so it can be streched to anysize ever immaginable

I would say to direct them to your site and give a very short and easy to remember domain where they can find the coupons and say something like you will only find these deals and more at www dot blahblahblah dot com

Something you mgiht want to consider which is a hell of alot cheaper and waaayyyyy more targeted is movie theater advertising. You can select your movie your screen how many theatres etc... which theatres etc... and them your target by the type of movie playing. I have gotten screens for 1 month for well under $20.00

(I miss media planning and buying)

Pick a movie which people who would shop at dell would be inclined to see and you have targeted much stroner than a billboard in the public where people might or might not see it.

Also, lets face it, people stare and actually read movie screen ads. If anyone needs help buying etc... let me know and I would be happy to assist.

Online Marketing Consultant
    BTW that was just the basic, there is a lot more that goes into it lol =0)

If you do go this route, try and track it as best you can. Unique URL's are nice (www.mysite.com/billboard or whatever), or unique coupon codes.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Hello,

I will tell you right now that this won't work at all. My partners and I run 3 full sides of buses that travel all day long from North To South (Traffic Arteries) in Palm Beach County, FL and we get minimal traffic to the site as well as no conversions. This has been going on now for 8 months with no success. SAVE YOUR MONEY! We lose $900 month doing this. TV spot ads on cable would do better than this!

First, I must observe that an ad on the side of a bus is likely to perform quite differently than an ad on a billboard. It all depends, of course, on the bus route and the billboard location. (Personally, I can't imagine any small internet-based business getting positive ROI from either, but I'm often proven wrong.)

But the key issues for non-print offline advertising are:
    • What audience are you trying to reach?
    • What action are you asking them to take?

The desired audience dictates much of your placement decision (you generally don't put Mercedes ads on ghetto bus shelters), but the action you want is also important.

Usually, you want them to go to your web site -- but how can you make them remember the website URL? If your web site has a very clear and concise name, then there is some possibility that you can get folks to remember it. By "clear and concise," I don't necessary mean short -- for a billboard in CityName, you might reasonably advertise the URL "CityNameComputers.com." In contrast, a shorter domain name -- "MarkWelch.com" for example -- may be quite difficult to recall (hmm, was that Mike or Mac? Welsh or Walsh?).

One of the "benefits" of cable TV advertising is that you know you're reaching your audience when they are at home, usually in "recreation" mode. They're quite likely to have a pen and paper handy, and many could simply walk over to the computer and type the URL (I'm not suggesting that a lot of people would take either of these actions, but at least these are reasonable actions to consider). In contrast, we don't want folks that distracted while driving -- especially when they are near a start-and-stop bus or on a street busy enough to justify a billboard -- so the range of "actions" we can seek with ads is more limited, mostly just "remember the URL and topic."

Ultimately, I find opportunities for profitable "offline advertising" to general audiences to be very rare, and I have never recommended that a client do any non-print offline advertising to general audiences. Do the math to understand why:

Let's use my example of CityNameComputers.com (substitute your city name -- OaklandComputers.com or HoustonComputers.com). Suppose 10,000 people see your billboard every day (300,000 adviews per month, probably by only about 25,000 people). I think you'd be incredibly lucky to have 100 people write down or remember the URL, and visit your web site. If you have a 2% conversion rate, you'd generate 2 product sales per month.

Question for our moderators: What are the rules here about changing a thread headline? I think this thread would draw more interest if the word "offline" or "billboard" were inserted before "advertising" in the title.

OFF TOPIC: Mark, I know I often change thread titles if they don't match the content of the thread (and I move threads if there is a more appropriate forum). I've renamed this thread and moved it. Feel free to suggest title changes or moves.

Kind of along the same lines as Mark's comments, I just have a hard time seeing this as being effective for most online sites. You really run into two different problems. First, the domain name has to be very easy and memorable. Second, the site and the ad both need to be something highly appealing to that local audience. Keep in mind that people out driving don't have a computer with them and will have a hundred other things come up between now and the time they sit down in front of the computer. Will they remember your ad? Will they go to your site? Very few will, no matter how good it is. Billboards and ads like that are better for branding.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I often work with merchants and try to get to use them in offline promos. I would say that generally, the contracts allow use of their brand name and logo on your site, the contracts do NOT allow use in print without their permission. I would recommend that you check that in detail before thinking about moving ahead. you would also need their logo in a different format. The usual online format (gif, jpeg, etc) do not print well.

I have never used billboards to advertise. I guess them little adverts inside of shopping center billboards will do alright as a few people look at them.
    [url=www.gamesdash.com]Games Dash[/url] - listing many free online games that you can play.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread