ABW Ambassador
    Changing Merchant Names Messing up Orange links Database
    Hello Performics & Merchants, could you please stop changing the names in the Orange links "merchant name" field as I use this to match against the merchant. What is happening is each time I download the latest copy of the Orange links is the merchants name in the field has changed.

For example "Lane Bryant Catalog" was "Lane Bryant Catalog" & it is now "Lane Bryant Catalog - Woman Within"

Metrostyle was "Metrostyle Leaner catalog" & is now just "Metrostyle" etc etc

I ask that you please make sure these remain unchanged as it means I have to manually check my database each time the orange links are updated to make sure none have been changed again, very annoying and it means loss of sales for the merchant & loss of commissions for myself & Performics, everyone loses in this situation as these links won't display if I miss one of these changes.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    Hello Performics & Merchants, could you please stop changing the names in the Orange links "merchant name" field as I use this to match against the merchant. What is happening is each time I download the latest copy of the Orange links is the merchants name in the field has changed.

For example "Lane Bryant Catalog" was "Lane Bryant Catalog" & it is now "Lane Bryant Catalog - Woman Within"

Metrostyle was "Metrostyle Leaner catalog" & is now just "Metrostyle" etc etc

I ask that you please make sure these remain unchanged as it means I have to manually check my database each time the orange links are updated to make sure none have been changed again, very annoying and it means loss of sales for the merchant & loss of commissions for myself & Performics, everyone loses in this situation as these links won't display if I miss one of these changes.
    Sorry about that. Merchant names rarely change but they are change-ABLE in the system so it is possible this could happen again in the future. The only way around this is to update the format of the file to include the merchant ID (not sure why we didn't include it in the first place, sorry about that). Would that work for you?

Larry Adams
    Affiliate Product Manager
    Performics

ABW Ambassador
    Hello Larry, yes please add a merchant ID unique identifier, that would solve this problem.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    Hello, I'm still waiting for this, is there any idea when you will add a merchantID.

I also noticed another problem now, the LinkID field is now empty on all the promotions I have got today and I have no idea how long this is been going on? I can no longer use this feed if it is going to keep changing like this, all these problems could be sorted out very easy. Why is it taking so long?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hello, I'm still waiting for this, is there any idea when you will add a merchantID.

I also noticed another problem now, the LinkID field is now empty on all the promotions I have got today and I have no idea how long this is been going on? I can no longer use this feed if it is going to keep changing like this, all these problems could be sorted out very easy. Why is it taking so long?
    I don't know why the LID would go missing. I'm having someone look into that.

Adding the merchant ID will take several weeks. We can't just add a column because it could break other folks who have automated the processing of this file. We have to modify the UI to let users choose whether they want the extra column and update the process that generates the file, and then we have to test the whole thing all over again. Sorry that it can't be turned around more quickly.

-larry

Can't you just add new columns to the end? Programers would most likely be using either column headings or absolute positions within the record to identify fields, and a new field at the end shouldn't break either.

While you're at it, make sure you add any other information that you might have (if there is any). Better to make all the changes at once.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Can't you just add new columns to the end? Programers would most likely be using either column headings or absolute positions within the record to identify fields, and a new field at the end shouldn't break either.

While you're at it, make sure you add any other information that you might have (if there is any). Better to make all the changes at once.
    We will add them to the end, but I can't assume everyone has your foresight, Michael

I think this was a byproduct of some backend changes. We'll be putting the IDs back in there. I'll look into whether there are other fields to add as well.

-larry

ABW Ambassador
    yes the LinkID's were missing on the last orange links I got in the email, please send out a new updated copy when you can which will inlcude the links that were in this email.

I just checked my email trash folder and it was the last 3 emails I got (which I get once a day) had no LinkID's, the one before that did have them 27th (maybe 26th US time zone?)

can you please resend all these 3 emails with the corrections.

with the MerchantID, ok I realize there needs to be certain procedures followed, please just do what you can...

Affiliate Network Rep
    yes the LinkID's were missing on the last orange links I got in the email, please send out a new updated copy when you can which will inlcude the links that were in this email.

I just checked my email trash folder and it was the last 3 emails I got (which I get once a day) had no LinkID's, the one before that did have them 27th (maybe 26th US time zone?)

can you please resend all these 3 emails with the corrections.

with the MerchantID, ok I realize there needs to be certain procedures followed, please just do what you can...
    Thanks for the extra info. I'm not sure if we'll be able to re-run the files but I'll check. We have to fix the bug first.

Just to be sure, the LID is still showing up in the url of the tracking link provided, right? That is what we'll be putting in the LID column when things get fixed.

ABW Ambassador
    Just to be sure, the LID is still showing up in the url of the tracking link provided, right? T
    yes it is there

ABW Ambassador
    Hello, is there any news on getting these issues fixed, especially the LinkID as I have had to add all these links from the last week in to my database by hand.

I have also noticed since taking a deeper look at these links I get that many merchants don't bother to include and expiry date and the links quite clearly expire. Can you please make it compulsory for merchants to include an expiry date, if it is ongoing then they could have something like 00000 etc.

The whole objective here is to make it automated, the last thing I want to do is find outdated links.

Affiliate Network Rep
    We've made the fix and are going through qa to make sure we don't wind up introducing a new bug with the fix to put lid back in there.

I don't have a release date yet. At the latest it would be Feb 24 (next scheduled release) but I'm shooting for sooner than that. If possible, we'll also add merchant ID in the Feb release but I still need to figure out how much trouble it will cause if we just add a column.

I'll mention the end date thing to our program management team. They are usually pretty good about it but some advertisers forget or don't realize why the end date is there.

ABW Ambassador
    It would be good if the LinkID can be put back in soon because it should not have been taken out in the first place anyway. I wonder how many others are having problems from this been taken out? It is a real headache now in it's current form as I have to now manually add the linkID to each promotion by hand and I just got one email 2 days ago with 120 links in it...

I haven't added a single Performics link since the Link ID disappeared on 1/28. It broke the tool I wrote, which relies on each link having a unique Link ID.

Resending the links from 1/28 through the time it's fixed will be useful, too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    well I was wondering if I was the only one so at least I know it's not just me

Affiliate Network Rep
    Getting your OrangeLinks recreated
    After we add the ID back into the feed, we can set up the feed to be regenerated from the 27th through the date of the bug fix.

If you'd like to have us regenerate your feed for you, send me a PM or an email with your publisher ID (found in the bottom right hand corner of the footer in ConnectCommerce).

-larry

ladams @ performics

Affiliate Network Rep
    Bug Fix Released
    Hey all,

you should be getting your link IDs in the file again beginning tonight. Offer still stands, if you want us to regenerate the file from Jan 27 on, please let me know and I'll get the request in for you.

-larry

ABW Ambassador
    ok thanks for fixing this & will check it out when I get my email this evening...

ABW Ambassador
    ok the LinkID is working again which is good news.

I look forward to seeing the other improvements soon which are the MerchantID field to be added & a compulsory date. In fact I just cleaned up my database of around several hundred links, some just added in the last few days but others back from last year, none had expiry dates and I wasn't going to go through everyone trying to work out which ones had expired so I just deleted the lot. This is very important that an expiry date is added.

Another improvements which would be good to see in the near future is to offer this by RSS for each merchant (using the MerchantID) - Avantlink offer this. This means that we don't even have to download the datafeed and we just setup the code on our sites and that's it. Of course we can still place other links manually on the site as well.

Hope this is helpful

Affiliate Network Rep
    ok the LinkID is working again which is good news.

I look forward to seeing the other improvements soon which are the MerchantID field to be added & a compulsory date. In fact I just cleaned up my database of around several hundred links, some just added in the last few days but others back from last year, none had expiry dates and I wasn't going to go through everyone trying to work out which ones had expired so I just deleted the lot. This is very important that an expiry date is added.

Another improvements which would be good to see in the near future is to offer this by RSS for each merchant (using the MerchantID) - Avantlink offer this. This means that we don't even have to download the datafeed and we just setup the code on our sites and that's it. Of course we can still place other links manually on the site as well.

Hope this is helpful
    Thanks for the suggestion...RSS has been on my mind for a while. I'm working through some of the logistics of hosting all the files (or building a web service that will dynamically generate the RSS). Will keep you all posted as we make progress.

-larry

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread