Red face Does anyone know how to do this?
    I'm trying to figure out how this website has coded the way they present the items on the page: http://www.popgloss.com/

Basically, when you click on an item, the product details (and a bigger photo of the item) appears at the top of the screen. It's great because you don't have to hit the "back" button to return to a big list of products. Very user-friendly.

I can't seem to figure out how it's been coded, however. Does anyone have any thoughts?

All I know is HTML/CSS, so please be gentle.

Affiliate Manager Dotster Affiliate Program's Avatar
    Wow, that's really nicely done. I'm almost positive that it's ASP, though something very similar could also be done using PHP. This site has some pretty good info on basic ASP.

Animal Lover
    Looks like it uses mod rewrites and some server sided language eg php, perl etc to get the parameters to be passed to the pages where pageoffset is the page number, and the jumbled up code is the item code and the category is also passed in the url.

cheers
    Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Affiliate Manager Dotster Affiliate Program's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    Looks like it uses mod rewrites and some server sided language eg php, perl etc to get the parameters to be passed to the pages where pageoffset is the page number, and the jumbled up code is the item code and the category is also passed in the url.
    Definitely requires server side programming, and the reason I thought it was ASP is because of that jumbled code associated with the items. No matter what kind of code it is, essentially there's just a ton of information about the various products being stored on the server, and the code on the front end just manipulates the code stored in each of the corresponding files.

Hmmm - sounds like it's too rich for my blood, whatever it is! Interesting to know a bit more about how this is done, though.

I think server side code is the answer. However, you could probably do this with HTML and CSS, though your pages would be much much heavier code wise.

All you need to do is create a new product page for each item, with the item and description at the top and the pics of the other items at the bottom. If each page is based on the same layout then it will accomplish the same effect.

The downside of this approach is if you want to add an item you need to change EVERY page.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    oscar and Dotster, right on - this is easy to do with dynamic database sites. it's a server side code set that populates a <div> called largeitem with details, if an itme's been selected. otherwise, the div isn't generated by their script (likely php). and they are using mod-rewrite to dynamically rename the page based on the selected item. which means this is a single dynamic webpage that can be populated with, and served / named, by a LARGE number items residing in their datafeed.

the old 1-page makes a 1,000 trick... love it.

i have created site like this - where 1 page manifests itself in hundreds of variations and is renamed as such. i learned it all starting from Dirk Gardner's famous post here at ABW - plus i bought a book to formalize my skills better.

and i also know that oscar writes code and pages like this already - oscar helped me a lot at the beginning by aiding me in finding the right hosting company to make it all work right (you need certain permissions). oscar could whip up something like this for merchants with any feed / database.

one thing that's weird to me is that this site uses internal css - i'd think somebody this skilled in dynamic programming would have mastered css and would be using external css files to speed delivery, lessen maintenance and improve page load times - but they may be a database nut (and decided to serve up their css styling from server side scripting via a "style" database they built instead).

apart from marketing aspects, affiliates should pursue this tech track in my opinion:
    +learn HTML (including basic related stuff needed to build a basic site - image editing, ftp, html editor, etc)
    +learn CSS
    +learn MySql / PHP (ASP if you're a gates-hugging MS/Win lover)
    +learn regex / mod_rewite (ISAPI if you're still loving MS/Win after all that ASP pain)

you can do some wonderful things with the skills you build up.

Agreed agreed agreed donuts! I still gotta really get into PHP...one of these days...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

So much easier than you may think.
    I was one of those gates hugging MS/Win lovers but it was sooooo easy to pick up the basics of PHP! I wish I had done it from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Agreed agreed agreed donuts! I still gotta really get into PHP...one of these days...
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    besides Dirk's post, oscar scripts, the sitepoint book that i bought and the regular interaction here at ABW, i also want to say that "patrick24601" (an ABW regular) helped me a tremendous amount in getting started! and i'm looking forward to meeting him in person in vegas at affiliate summit in 2 days and buying him a coke or three.

there's SO many smart programmer types here at ABW - it's a breading ground for learning!!! and that dirk post, man, that one got me to think originally... man, what a thread!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread