Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    We got Snooked!!!
    Wow - what a nice day with Scooter and Heavy on the Dough!! Pics to come (when DNuts and Scootie resize them...) Thanks for the memories!!

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Did y'all go pub crawling or fishing?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have beers of fishing or something to do with the sea.

Internet Cowboy
    A Happy Accident!
    Complete story to follow after I get some sleep. This was an exhausting, but wonderful, day in Punta Gorda. You will not believe the story. It is worth subscribing to this thread to be the first to read it.
    Film at 11 (tomorrow morning).
    It's a great story, it really is. I will post it with photos tomorrow....er...later today....THURSDAY!!
    I am in my 22nd hour of being awake so right now it is nighty nite for me.

ABW Ambassador
    You will not believe the story.
    Let me try to guess. You went out fishing, caught a mermaid, all had a few brews together, and then talked her into being a booth babe at the Summit.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Let me try to guess. You went out fishing, caught a mermaid, all had a few brews together, and then talked her into being a booth babe at the Summit.
    lololol, good call!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!

/jealous
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Pics to come (when DNuts and Scootie resize them...)
    i cain't resize what i ain't gots.

alan, email me them pics dude - we cain't start bragging without evidence ready and loaded.

Internet Cowboy
    So...this trip was about like any other Donuts and I have been on lately. We had great fun, good company (Alan and his lovely wife Ellen are wonderful hosts) but no fish.
    So...we get back to the docks to dock the boat and Alan starts to throw the leftover shrimp in the water. About then a Snook nearly takes his arm off. Donuts puts a shrimp on a hook, drops it in the water beside the boat and immediate hooks into a monster Snook. We saw it but didn't land it becuase it broke the line.
    Long story short, in the next hour, we boated no less than 20 BIG Snook and more than that broke our line. They were apparently stacked up right below the dock.

In the meantime, a guide is cleaning fish for his clients, two reds about 16" long. During the time his client stands there watching him clean the reds, (that they no doubt paid $400 or so for the trip to catch) we boat one huge Snook after another. It was only after the clients left that we felt bad about that and Alan talked to the guy and made sure all was good.

Talk about a happy accident!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott and Donuts: I'm inviting myself on the next trip. I won't take no for an answer
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Yep - one of the biggest surprise endings to a fishing trip I've seen in many years, if at all.

Two days earlier I had spent time talking to two of the local guides (one of which is the one Scooter mentions was cleaning redfish while we were next to them hauling up big snook) and they gave me several places to fish. Ellen and I spent much of the day going from one point to the other and saving each as a waypoint.

Scoot and Dough get here, we load up, head out and spend hours fishing without diddle. Only when I am throwing about 5 dozen left over shrimp over the side does Mr. Monster Snook come up literally a foot from my hand to accept my offering!! What a hell of a non-stop laugh we had as Scooter and Dman kept bringing them up and I kept scrambling to net them. Scooter said something about being a one armed paper hanger as I jumped from him to Dman to net their prey!!

Fantastic day, and an ending that you normally only see in the movies!! All tolled, I would estimate between landed and total hookups at least 30 or more Snook.

Donuts finally handed me a rod and said: "hey man, you go ahead and take some. I gotta take a break." But I wouldn't give him a break (remember I'm an ex Marine). Everytime someone would hook up (which was about every time a shrimp went overboard) we'd start laughing again, remembering how much sea we had covered during the day, only to find a bonanza next to my slip!

Awesome day, finished off with a great time at Harpoon Harrys at the end of the pier. Suds, squid, RB & Vodka and we couldn't stop laughing and talking about what a fluke ending to an already great day. Guys, it was a pleasure
    to have you as our guests for a day on the "Slush Puppie." Ellen and I had a blast!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Alan Hamilton, legendary fishing guide! He's DA MAN !!!!

More pics attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

they're all snook, so they look similar, but each of those pics are from different fish we caught. man, we were killing it!

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I so hate you guys right now.

It's freezing here and you are out fishing...

Glad you had fun though!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Donuts - Scoot,

Ellen and I just went down to the boat to clean it and to my shock, when I opened the bait well to rinse it out - there was a single shrimp laying in an almost dry well with no aeration. Figured I forgot one last night - so reached in to throw him out and HE WAS STILL ALIVE.

I'm hoping to take Ellen out tomorrow for some fishing in the afternoon and then when we dock up - the "boys" should be back in town and she can experience the thrill of watching the rod bend in half!! Great job on the photo sizing dude!

I'm beginning to smell tarpon.......

Matty - you gotta come down this season and spend a couple days so we can do some snook pilaging too.

did you eat those bad little guys or release them?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

We released them all after the fun fights. Not that it would hurt to keep a few, but from habit I catch and release. Occasionally I'll keep a red fish or something for dinner, but most of the time I'm happy with catching and then sending them on their way.

Great pics Rhea

I imagine you already know this, but many of the pics in the link you provided are species other than Snook. The first one on the left - top line is a rather large Tarpon, and the fish with the orangish back and big black spot in front of the tail are Red Fish. The snook have the black line intersecting the entire length of their body from just behind the gills.

I've never seen so many hooked in an hour, but Scooter and Nuts kept me netting fish almost non stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    We released them all after the fun fights. Not that it would hurt to keep a few, but from habit I catch and release. Occasionally I'll keep a red fish or something for dinner, but most of the time I'm happy with catching and then sending them on their way.
    Its a good thing you released them. I might be wrong but I don't think you can bag snook untill Feb. They are some good tasting fish though. Nice work!

BTW- How's Punta Gorda doing? That's right where that hurricane hit last year, right?

Yep - can't keep them until Feb, but I pretty much release everything I catch any way. Do like to keep an occasional snook or red though.

As for Punta Gorda, the last hurricane that hit here was Charlie which was three years this August I think. PG was pretty torn up but it has come back together nicely since then. The up side to the destruction is that a lot of condos, townhouses, homes and businesses were rebuilt new, and the little downtown area is really getting a neat face lift. Quaint and resort like.

Thanks or asking.

Internet Cowboy
    It's a very nice area. Lots of "newness" there since Charlie did his number on them.
    Nobody mentioned the pelican that attacked Donuts. He was holding a fish for a picture and just after the picture was taken the pelican dive bombed him for the fish. That was hilarious. The pelicans there are totally NOT afraid of humans. I had a fish on and was fighting him under the dock, a pelican went for the fish and cut my line so we both lost out. Many of these fish were bigger than the pelicans that were trying to eat them

I told this story tonight at poker and most people were like "yeah right" when I told them how many we caught in one spot. That's the bad thing about a great fish story, it's just another fish story! Maybe I will tell Webworker's tale of the mermaid and see if they believe that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast