Bluehost Shared Hosting - And one question regarding Dedicated Servers
    First of all, when people say shared server, how many people do you think can share a single server (at Bluehost in this case)? I was thinking double digits (max). Maybe like 30 or so. I was talking to a support rep this evening....and get this..they host over 400 people per box. That's just nuts. I had no idea it was that high (I can't imagine how they can keep a box up and running smoothly with that kind of number).

But anyway, going to the real topic, I've been thinking about switching my shared accounts to a dedicated server. I like the idea of not having anyone else on it (causing problems), and the control I'll have.

My question is: how many sites can/do you guys run on a single dedicated server? And can you assign multiple IP addresses to these servers?

Do you have more than one dedicated server?
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

this may not be apropos to the thread, but consider that on servers you can assign an IP number to every network interface card on it.

I've been asking similar questions outside ABW about hosting. Thinking in terms of "virtual servers" as opposed to paying for a whole machine. Still hung up on why the disk space is so low.

(this observation not related to Bluehost)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    My question is: how many sites can/do you guys run on a single dedicated server? And can you assign multiple IP addresses to these servers?
    Do you have more than one dedicated server?
    I run dozens of sites on each server.
    Yes, you can assign multiple IP addreses to each network card on a server (and have multiple network cards on a server).
    Yes.

BTW, you can host multiple sites on one IP.
    The typical needs for unique IPs are for SSL, DNS, & FTP.

Domaintools has a tool for you to see the domain names of sites hosted on a particular IP. This is a quick way for you to see who else you'll be neighbor with on a shared server.

Tuan

Great, thanks for the information guys. I asked about the multiple IP addresses b/c I'm not too keen on hosting all of my sites on one IP - there's some linking going on between a few sites. Good to know that that can be done though.

Herb, if you're still reading this, have you found a good source for virtual servers? Going to decide sooner than expected on getting a dedicated or virtual server, if Bluehost can't get their act together (they've been an interesting host to work with over the last week).
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Take a look at powervps.com, I have a VPS with them and very happy, about 2 years now.

I also use bluehost and not too keen on their service. I know someone who just had big problems with them.

Great, thanks for the information guys. I asked about the multiple IP addresses b/c I'm not too keen on hosting all of my sites on one IP - there's some linking going on between a few sites. Good to know that that can be done though.
    Be careful here though. If they're on the same class c, which likely happen w/ your server order, then G will pick it up.

There was an interesting incidence relating to this at this year's pubcon sites review. Matt Cutts had ripped into this guy for irrelevant links. I'd doubled check after the show and the reviewed site was on its own ip, but looking at the adjacent ips, you can see the other sites.

BTW, Matt did this quickly, which leads me to think G has tools looking at class c's and not necessarily one ip at a time.

Also, one trick to get around this is to wait for a few months before ordering additional ip's. If it's an active ISP, you'll get assign ip's from a different class c block.

Tuan

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    Take a look at powervps.com, I have a VPS with them and very happy, about 2 years now.
    Thanks - going to have a looksie

Quote Originally Posted by TLE
    Also, one trick to get around this is to wait for a few months before ordering additional ip's. If it's an active ISP, you'll get assign ip's from a different class c block.

Tuan

Cool - didn't think about that. Thanks.

Herb, if you're still reading this, have you found a good source for virtual servers? Going to decide sooner than expected on getting a dedicated or virtual server, if Bluehost can't get their act together (they've been an interesting host to work with over the last week).
    the one time I looked I saw something like 45 megs disk space which scared me as I use two shared servers with over 350 megs each right now. (plus another I've barely started to load.)

my main registrar has offered something but I don't believe in buying hosting with any of my registrars.

I do want to switch over to VPS some day but there is a lot of stuff I need to know first. I'm going to look at the one that is working out for dflsports next.

This all gets down to a question of load balance. 400 is not the least bit unreasonable. I see this argument quite often - and it has nothing to do with how many accounts are on the box. It has to do with the resources the box is using. Especially if they admins are very good at load balancing.

Case in Recently I switched to a new reseller account. Through my exchanges with the admins I found out that they divide their servers up very well. Apache Web server is on one server. IIS web server is on a different server (duh). Mysql on another. Mssql is on another. Mail is on another. That is a very good load balance there IMO.

So when doing this research inquire more about average and peak loads.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    VPS is not easy to use, the techie side that is, but the front end is like any other reseller account. I am still pretty clueless about running my vps but tech support answers any questions and fixes any issues. I have cpanel and whm. Then a neat control panel where you can admin your section of the server. I have stopped and restarted the server after I uploaded a script that nearly crashed my vps. You get shell access too. I know little about shell but I had to use it a few times (you login via command line using a program like putty).

When you get a VPS, at least at powervps, you do have to install the cpanel software but it was just a few clicks.

I'd say that you have to look at a VPS as your own computer. Ignore the fact that it is virtual. Treat it like your own standalone machine. To that end if you do not know how to operate a unix based computer you are going to have trouble running a unix VPS. And running unix from a command line is not the most obvious or user friendly activity you could do. Especially in a world where alot of people have grown up with point and click. Incidentally if you ever get a Windows VPS you will run it just your windows desktop machine - start menu and all.

Pick up a unix command reference or a unix dummys guide. Find a buddy who knows unix and the command line very well. Go join some unix forums/newsgroups or see if your hosting company has any. Then you should be set.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Lightbulb
    I have a practice/test server running FreeBSD on my home network and have been running/upgrading/fooling around with it for several years. Upgrading ports are usually a snap but upgrading "World" is a little tricky yet. I've built a docs library that takes up a few shelves and Webmin is mostly friendly.

Wonder if I should be working with Webmin and Linux for practice? Hey, maybe someone out there provides FreeBSD on their servers? Probably not a gain, though.

VPS comes in different varieties, including managed or unmanaged. If you're new, you might want to pay for managed service.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread