ABW Ambassador
    AdSense Competitive Ads TOS Change
    https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...y?answer=48182

Competitive Ads and Services In order to prevent user confusion, we do not permit Google ads or search boxes to be published on websites that also contain other ads or services formatted to use the same layout and colors as the Google ads or search boxes on that site. Although you may sell ads directly on your site, it is your responsibility to ensure these ads cannot be confused with Google ads.

From JenSense
    "What does this mean for publishers? If you are running YPN and AdSense on a 50/50 ad rotation using the same or very similar color palettes, you would now be in violation of AdSense policies. Likewise, if you are running AdSense on one part of your site, and YPN on another part, you would now also be in violation of the policies if you are using the same or similar color palettes.

However, this also affects ad units that mimic AdSense, yet are not contextual based, something that was always well within the AdSense terms and policies before now. So if you are selling text ads or running affiliate links in ad units that mimic AdSense, you will be in violation of the terms."

Aside from continuity and aesthetics, why would you want any part of your site to have the "look and feel" of an AdSense box?

Did consumers suddenly decide that paid google ads are what they should be clicking on?

Or am I thinking about this backwards....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

This has no relanace for me as I keep my YPN sites separate from my adsense sites anyway. why someone would rotate the boxes like Jen says is beyond me.

Noth - If you are blending the background and stuff on your google ad and then you do the same thing with a yahoo add on the page the yahoo ad would look like the google ad. The way google put it appears to me as if the boxes are being used with a border which would make them look like a google ad.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I've seen PPCSE click trap pages that were just keyword rich scrapped content pages with a huge mixture of Google Yahoo Azoogle Ads on top, sides, middle and bottom. The Page Links to interior pages just brought up another page plaster with PPCSE exit links. Google sets the rules for their content network to try and improve CTR for their Adwords advertisers. They could do a hell of a lot more benefit to their advertisers, then the above TOS changes, by actively eliminating MFA click-traps that polute their SERPs and PPCSE space.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

nyfalcon wrote: > "This has no relanace for me as I keep my YPN sites separate from my adsense sites anyway. why someone would rotate the boxes like Jen says is beyond me." <

The reason is simple: compare the performance, and potentially increase earnings by showing two different sets of ads to visitors who view multiple pages at your site.

If the one company's ads are generating more income on a specific site or page, then of course you'd show their ads more often (perhaps 80-20 or 95-5 instead of 50-50) but by rotating ads from multiple sources, you will almost always generate more income -- and you'll also know if "something funny" happens (for example, if you are using a pure 50-50 rotation and one network consistently reports significantly fewer adviews, you'd want to know why).

It's all about money and data.

I see your point Mark. I dont do a/b testing like that on indy pages and see no reason to but thats me.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread