ABW Ambassador
    (2007) Market America -What is it?
    Seems to be the day for what is this company.

I ran into a "friend" last night and after a discussion of where am I going on my vacation, she puts a card into my hand and says check out my site, it has a lot of travel deals on it.

At first I thought, aha a fellow affiliate type and she's pushing her site. Well I went home and her url redirects to something affiliated with Market America. I'm just not sure how they make money. etc.

Not something I'm interested in, but just curious about.

Lightbulb
    googling it straight brings a lot of hits. googling it with the word scam following brings up even more, the following being one comment I found:

Market America is an organization which specializes in brokerage and internet marketing. They also sell health, beauty and nutrition products, and they are big believers in looking good and felling good.

They have been accused recently of being what is quickly becoming known as the Market America scam. Among other things, they have been accused of being a Pyramid scheme, or a Multi-level-marketing operation. When businesses make money by recruiting members, or by non-service profit, it is probably a pyramid. Pyramid schemes usually only benefit those who join originally and not those who join later on.

The controversy came into play for Market America when they started being more concerned about recruiting, than they were about selling their own products. We felt we had to investigate this farther, especially when we realized that they were guaranteeing people $50,000 a year to work for them.

We found out that they hold seminars quarterly in different locations, and you leave with business skills and tools. Their system is known as the Unfranchise Business System. Market America 's distribution system is based on a marketing plan whereby each distributor recruits, trains and manages 2 sales organizations. This does seem to indicate that there may be some truth to the Market America scam, and the controversy. If you have t recruit to join, it probably is a pyramid scheme and we give it 2 thumbs down. Especially since we found out that the founder, James H. Ridinger, was involved with Amway, another huge fraud!

==============
    you'll find old sites mentioning litigation, etc. . . . don't know if this has anything to do with her site.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    An interesting comment about MLM Herb, but I think we should also separate the "concept" of MLM from the individuals within the concept whose business practices often give it a bad name.

Though I have never participated in a multi level marketing program of the kind you are referring to, it was not because multi level marketing is a bad concept. Recognize it or not, most of us who market online OR offline are actually participating in an MLM model.

As an example, let's look at manufacturers, national distributors, affiliate marketers, merchants, OPM's, AM's, consumers, etc that are involved with a given merchants goods.

A merchant has goods to sell. S/he formulates a commission structure. An OPM or AM can be involved. S/he promotes the program and recruits affiliates. Affiliates promote the goods. Affiliates may be super affiliates who also recruit other affiliates, and receive a percentage of their recruited affiliate's sales. ppc and seo consultants can also be involved. The goal is that Consumers buy the goods.

The affiliate receives a commission, and in some cases an override on repeat sales. The affiliate manager receives a base fee and / or percentage, or the OPM receives a percentage and / or fee or both. The merchant nets "X" amount, the AM / OPM gets a share, and the affiliate gets a share. An affiliate who hits a certain volume level may also get bonus money, or an increased commission. An AM or OPM who achieves certain levels of sales growth may also get extra remuneration for the effort.

In reality that is an MLM sales structure. Same applies to the automobile industry, medical supplies,food, clothing, toys, and goods and services in general. A manufacturer makes products. The manufacturer has national sales managers, regional sales managers, district managers, sales reps, distributors, retail stores who sell the product, web sites, AM's, OPM's who recruit and optimize the sites, ppc providers, consumers who buy the goods etc etc etc. Each level gets a piece of the pie. That is multi level marketing.

I mention these examples because I often hear people categorically condemn MLM as being evil when in fact we are all involved in MLM in getting our goods and services to the market and into the hands of the consumer. It is easy to confuse the acts of individuals who may abuse the MLM concept with the concept itself, but nothing is black and white. MLM is a marketing model that is employed by almost every industry whether we recognize it or not, and it can obviously be very fruitful, as many here know from their own successes!!

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Cool
    the model that requires you to sell/recruit to your neighbors and friends, who then are required to sell/recruit to their neighbors and friends, and so on, is the model that gets the bad press. somewhere in there is the pressure to become a "distributor" and buy maybe $4,000 of product as well as be recruiting (in some plans.)

this stuff gives me the willies. I've seen three generations of Amway folks with the attendant changes in sales practices. I've managed to steer clear of anything like it.

at any rate, I'm just repeating someone else's thoughts; there are many about this particular company on the Web.

I would never describe (to an acquaintance) what I do by using the term "MLM".

Of course all retail is distributed using a pyramid shaped structure, from the manufacturer on down, but...
    When businesses make money by recruiting members, or by non-service profit, it is probably a pyramid.
    that is more of the way I think of MLM.

I do think some parts of aff. marketing overlap into MLM, like 2 tier programs, but selling the product is always the goal, not selling the level under you.

I've had people try to get me into MLM programs saying "you dont need to do or sell anything, all you need to do is join up". That wont work with genuine sales or affiliate marketing.

ABW Ambassador
    Wow Herb, Thank you for all the research. I should have thought about combining the company name and word scam. (I'll remember that for the future.)

I thought that it was a fishy scheme, when their website said that you had to contact one of their business mentors to find out how the company works and how you can make money.

The person who gave me the business card also has a history of MLM business going back many years, so it all would seem to fit.

Lily

Market America is Legit
    I'm not here to sell anything or recruit anyone...but rather to simply set the record straight.

Market America is a legitimate business that would fall under a Network Marketing category. They are a product brokerage company who specializes in one to one marketing while helping entrepreneurs earn an income by following a proven business model and providing consumers with a better way to shop. They have been in business since 1992, have an A+ rating with the BBB and have had 70+ quarters of straight growth since it's inception.

Network Marketing has gotten a bad rap. Sure, there have been many companies that have come and gone and some have even taken people's money and ran. I personally don't blame people for wanting to be careful before checking out a company, however, given today's current (and future) economic situation, the job market and how most of us live as a whole, my piece of advice is to suspend your disbelief and genuinely view and evaluate this type of business model. It isn't for everyone. Just for those who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are willing to take the (small) risk to be a business owner that they can work from home.

Zig Zigler, Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump all write about and promote Network Marketing as a way to build a business that acts as an asset. These types of business involve building teams, distributing high quality products and duplicating our efforts to enable leverage. If anyone thinks this is a scam or pyramid, just take a good look at Corporate America.

Market America works in a few different ways. It provides a shopping portal for people to earn cash back on the products they buy from the stores they love. Over 3500 partner stores, built in hot deals, coupon codes, comparison shopping, a real live customer manager to help, and cash back when people invite their friends to shop on the portal as well. It's a way for people who aren't in the business itself to experience the benefits leverage.

It also gives the opportunity to help people build a business as an asset. As a distributor, people have the advantage of matching people to products, teaching others how to build their own business and even majoring in a particular branch of product in the business itself.

It's called an "Unfranchise" because it has the systems, education, tools and other benefits of a franchise, but it doesn't have the fees, high start up costs, royalties and competition of a standard franchise.

I could go on, but we would all be a good year older after reading this if I do.
    If nothing else, read "The Business of the 21st Century" by Robert Kiyosaki to gain a better understanding of our limitations in the work force and how we can take control of our financial futures...if only we suspend our disbelief long enough to investigate!
    Last edited by Trust; October 5th, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: link drop

Did you realize that this thread is over 3 and a half years old? I doubt anybody here is too concerned about it at this point.
    Generate more fake news.

I certainly did. I still felt compelled to reply.

If so much as one person found the information useful...not necessarily even about Market America, but about the value of what Network Marketing can offer a person's life, then it was well worth my time.

http and a telephoto
    Mrs G, this forum is for affiliate marketing and most successful affiliate marketers are not interested in Network Marketing aka MLM which is most beneficial to those "at the top" and not worthwhile to those at the bottom. And affiliate marketing doesn't require a fee paid to some big company to get started.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

There is a reason why MLM are illegal in some countries, it is nothing short of a con, tricking people into paying money to those at the top, and desperately trying to recoup their money by finding other desperate vulnerable individuals

affiliate "shopping portal"?
    Does anybody know how the shopping portal fits into their business? I'm not at all interested in the MLM angle but they're touted as big performers on CJ, Linkshare Platinum Publisher, etc. Curious if anybody has worked with them, know the deal. I'll keep researching too & share anything good.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread